1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Closed Circuit Sports of Yesteryear

Discussion in 'Sports Programming and Events' started by clayface1000, Jan 25, 2009.

1. clayface1000

clayface1000 Mentor

Apr 18, 2006
    As a kid growing up in the 60s, I remember seeing that major boxing events, such as an Ali-Frazier fight, would only be available for viewing on closed circuit TV in local movie theaters.

Being the only sports lover in my family, I never had the opportunity to see any of these telecasts. I've always wondered how the events were projected. That is, being the 60s, what kind of projectors were they using to display an image large enough to fill a movie theater screen? And how was the picture quality? It couldn't have been very good. Even the video tapes of these fights that get shown today on ESPN Classic, etc., don't look so hot.

I worked at a high end electronics store in the mid 70s when the first front projector CRT televisions for homes were being introduced and they were dim and blurry. This was more than a decade after the period to which I'm referring, insofar as the theatrical showings are concerned. It really makes me wonder just what the experience was like with images blown up many times this size. Anyone have any recollections?

2. Art7220

Art7220 Godfather

Feb 4, 2004
    Well, I saw WrestleMania 3 and 4 at closed circuit. Three wasn't shown on cable where I lived and when 4 was on cable the next year, not too many were at the venue.

The PQ wasn't very good like you said. It was dim and not too sharp.

If you were rich enough to own a Big Dish back then, those events were in the clear. Nowadays of course, cable and DBS killed closed circuit.

3. Msguy

Msguy Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2003
    Back in the 80's I remember going with a friend to see Wrestlemania's at place that had Closed Circuit TV. You bought a ticket at the local Theater that was carrying it and you watched the event on the Big Screen. Back in the Middle and late 80's i think i paid like $25 to get in to see the event. By the time the Early 90's rolled around I was losing interest in Wrestling and i ordered my last Wrestling Event on the old Viewers Choice Pay Per View (Early Pay Per View) Now I don't even watch Wrestling anymore and the prices are outrageous for the pay per views. I'm just a NFL Football and MLB Baseball fan now and those Packages suit my needs.

4. Pepster

Pepster Legend

Oct 29, 2008
    The first major closed circuit PPV sporting event that comes to mind for me in my lifetime is Ali vs. Frazier I. How major was this? If you simply google the very date (March 8, 1971) of the event without even mentioning what you're looking for, 80% of the first 20 things that pop up will have something to do with that fight. Back then, it didn't come on TV the next week and I think they were charging about $20 to go to a movie to see the fight. Months later, you'd see not the whole fight, but highlights of the fight sandwiched in between your double feature (yes, you could spend your WHOLE Saturday afternoon at the movies).