1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Cloud Price War

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by Drucifer, Mar 17, 2014.

1. Drucifer

Drucifer New Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Google Cuts Price of Drive Cloud Storage

READ MORE

2. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    I'm not comfortable with the idea of "cheapness" as a criteria for a cloud server service. There are just too many potential political and social issues. Here's the kind of criteria that will go into the development of economically competitive cloud server sites:
    1. Large volumes of cheap electricity. The reason is obvious.
    2. Proximity to rivers and lakes. They use a large amount of water for cooling purposes.
    3. Large areas of land. Allows for more privacy and security.
    4. Tax incentives. This allows you to help pay for their development - what corporation wouldn't want that.
    5. Access to technically-trained personnel at modest wages. As prices drop, this will, of course, be in Silicon Valley or close proximity to Puget Sound. :sure:
    There's much BS about things like focus on renewable power sources. I call it BS because there is a finite quantity of reliable power available at any one time and if you want the cheapest the solution is to appear to be in an area that is served by "green" energy then buy the cheapest leaving others to carry the cost of being green.

And then in 2011 we learned:

But hey, another few cheap terabyte here and there, and pretty soon you've got some real data for the government to wade through.

3. kaminar

kaminar Mentor

Mar 25, 2012
    Cheap Electric + Open Air Cooling..available now at big data centers in NC and Ireland :)

-=K=-

4. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    Yep, I live about 30-40 miles from 3 or 4 of the largest, newest from Apple, Google & others.

Google earth 'Apple Data Center, NC' or 'Google data center, NC'

5. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    I'm kind of a skeptic about the reliability of the Open Air Cooling model. And IMHO whether its water or air, the heat generated is ultimately shifted to the environment which over the long run, as the number of servers expands exponentially, is going to have a cumulative impact on the environment. But what do I know....[​IMG]

6. Drucifer

Drucifer New Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Just read Virgin is also getting into the cloud biz.