1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CNET's editors note addendum to the HR20 Review

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by btmoore, Nov 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nov 3, 2006 #1 of 86
    btmoore

btmoore Hall Of Fame

Aug 28, 2006
    "Editor's Note: Although the sample CNET used for this review has functioned well for a month, numerous CNET users have complained of malfunctions on their DirecTV HR20 receivers. We have asked DirecTV for a statement to respond to these reports, but so far we haven't gotten anything official. If we do, we'll post it here."

http://reviews.cnet.com/DirecTV_HR20_DirecTV_Plus_HD_DVR/4505-6474_7-32065196.html?tag=sub

2. Nov 3, 2006 #2 of 86
    jerkieman

jerkieman AllStar

Oct 19, 2006
    Wow, people hate this box, read the comments.

3. Nov 3, 2006 #3 of 86
    Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    In those comments
    There are some people that are very unhappy with it.
    There are also people that are happy with it.

There are some people in those comments that just can't get past that it isn't a TiVo... there are others that are having problems, but can see the upside of the unit.

It is no different then it is here....

There are people all over the place.

And just like here, and a significant amount of other forums.
    There is no validation of the users... so there is no way to tell if ANYONE has or doesn't have an HR20... There could be people fuelling the fire who have never actually used an HR20... there could also be people trying to put it out that don't have them either...

Welcome to the Forums, and the relatively anonymous internet.

4. Nov 3, 2006 #4 of 86
    iheartroscoe

iheartroscoe Mentor

Oct 12, 2006
    After reading some of the negative comments about the HR20 on this forum, I really thought I was going to miss the Tivo, but that hasn't been the case. Even with the lack of 30 second skip and dual buffers, I am really liking the new receiver. Of course, like everyone else, I wish that OTA was enabled, but, so far, I'd have to say the interface is very nice.

5. Nov 3, 2006 #5 of 86
    cuibap

cuibap Legend

Sep 14, 2006
    Wow! 4.4 out of 10. That's bad, very bad. I hope they will fix it soon. The last Two and 1/2 men show, it recorded only 6 minutes :mad:

6. Nov 3, 2006 #6 of 86
    moonman

moonman Icon

Oct 27, 2004
    This is the first mention I've seen by D*, that another manufacture is now
    making the box..."In summary, the HR20 is an outstanding product and demand is so high we are bringing a second manufacturer on-line. "
    I wonder if this has anything to do with the sudden "sold out" period
    and the start of another line...

7. Nov 3, 2006 #7 of 86
    Camelot_One

Camelot_One AllStar

Sep 12, 2006
    I think the issue with the HR20 is 2 fold. First, horrible quality control. There are far too many straight up defective units being sent out. A person gets a bad one, and suddenly associates the defective unit with the HR20 in general. (I myself am now on my 3rd)

The second issue is the buggy software. I got over the non-Tivo pretty quickly. I like what the HR20 does and how it does it....I just wish it did it right, and consistently. The partial recording/unwatchable recording thing keeps getting me in major trouble with the old lady. (and I see Battlestar Galactica just got added to my couldn't-manage-to-do-what-I'm-told partial recording list)

8. Nov 3, 2006 #8 of 86
    moonman

moonman Icon

Oct 27, 2004
  9. Nov 3, 2006 #9 of 86
    tstarn

tstarn Banned User

Sep 30, 2006
    Earl, check out some other CNET User reviews, for different electronics products. Any as low as 4.4 out of 10? If the HR20 reviews were representative of most products on CNET, the score wouldn't be nearly as low.

As for Directv's statement on CNET about the HR20 launch, what are they going to say in public? It stinks? Barring an 80 percent failure rate, which even I admit is out of the question, D* would never, ever admit that the problems were affecting even a relatively modest percentage of users (say 25 percent) because the negative PR would be very damaging financially. Anyway, we'll see how it goes. If somehow D* manages to right this ship, it's good for everyone. If not, they won't be able to support that statement as fact for very long. It isn't about the GUI, it's about reliable recording. Most people on this forum who have problems with the HR20 would gladly, even lovingly accept the UI if they could just get it to work as a successful DVR should.

10. matto

matto Banned User

Sep 1, 2006
    are you seriously suggesting people have nothing better to do than post false reports about a random DVR which they don't own!?

that's some deep denial.

the only people who would take the time to register and post comments and ratings are people who have been affected strongly by the product- either positively or negatively.

the "outside agitator" theory really is absurd.

11. Malibu13

Malibu13 Lifetime Achiever

Sep 12, 2004
    N.E North...
    Not absurd at all. Not necessarily posting false reports, but there are those who enjoy "fueling" the fire. :rolleyes:

12. tstarn

tstarn Banned User

Sep 30, 2006
    A good point. Think a bunch of Comcast stockholders are sabotaging the HR20? I would be willing to bet the folks who wrote negative reviews on CNET (including me, and it was an honest appraisal of my experience with the unit at the time) and Circuit City have had bad experiences, even discounting the ones who want Tivo back. Now, if it had received an 8 or 9 out of 10 from users...but it didn't happen.

13. tstarn

tstarn Banned User

Sep 30, 2006
    What fire would that be? Can you explain?

14. matto

matto Banned User

Sep 1, 2006
    Donnie, I'm not sure I get what you mean.

If I registered and posted a comment about my (negative) experiences with the HR20, and gave it a low rating, would that be "fueling the fire"?

How about if I registered and posted a comment about positive experiences, and gave it a high rating?

I don't get how commenting on a product review or rating it is "fueling the fire".

15. Ron Barry

Ron Barry 622 Tips & Trick Keeper

Dec 10, 2002
    Not saying this is the case... And for the record I don't own a HR20. I actually mod on the 622 side but after reading this thread thought I should respond.

Not absurd at all. There have been reports where people have actually done this. Where groups of people within certain companies have fed a series of reviews positive or negative without even owning the product they are reviewing. I seem to recall an another writing a fake review of his own book and getting caught with his hand in the cookie jar.

Here is a case where i think it is very applicable and I could see it happening. Not saying it has and like I said. I don't have an HR20 but I did have a Dish 921 and a lot of these threads seem very familiar.

Fanatic TIVO user joins D* and enjoys the fact he can use TIVO with his D* service. D* switches form his TIVO based technology. User dumps D* and is very angry with their decision. User sees the HR20 review and decides to jump on dog pile of disgruntle users. This scenario does not seem far fetched at all. Would i do it?? Nope.. But given the things I have seen in my years on the internet.. I know for a fact there are a number of people that would.

That is why... I may read user opinions of a certain product looking for common issues and use that in my equation.. But I am also very careful at how I read and always use multiple review sources and multiple sources for users opinions.

Yeck.. If one wonders around all the Satellite related and DVR related forums one would find different slants depending on the forum one walks into.

From my experience... It is amazing some of the stuff that people pull based on my experience... And I am sure Earl and Donnie viewpoints are similar.

Ok.. I am not saying that there is a not a large percentage of folks having issues with the unit. Obviously from the traffic there are people feeling pain and a lot of it.. but I believe.

1) A person having issues with a product is more likely to comment on a review rather then a person having excellent experience with a product.

2) A person having issues with a product is more likely to wonder off looking for reviews to comment than a happy customer.

It is the same with Forums....

To close... In my opinion, I disagree strongly that that only people that are really having issues or not having issues will take the time to register. Perhaps they are the majority then again.. Perhaps not.. This is the internet and one of the powers of the internet is all the different opinions of products as you research.. The downside is that anyone can right them and therefore it opens doors for both the reality based opinions and non-reality based opinions. I believe both are wild on the internet and I don't think that is absurd at all.

Well that is my 2 cents.. Just in case one might think I was flaming TIVO users.. I am not.. I understand his pain and personally if something I really enjoyed got changed I would not be happy myself. That was just the first example that came to my head of a situation where I would see someone do exactly what was described as being absurd.

Personally.. bottom line.. Is that we all have our experiences with products and there is a lot of info on the net... Does the info on the net reflect reality? That is the 64K question and my personal opinion is that it is but a snap shot and it may or may not be a true depiction.. One thing is certain though.... To each of us.. our personal experience is what we reflect on what we see... (IMHO).

Cheers.. it is late.. hopefully some of this makes some sense... Hope the guys on the other side of the fences feeling pain will soon have that pain eased..

16. mcl

mcl Legend

Aug 16, 2006
    D*'s official response is there now too.

Their position? "Only a handful of units have problems, those that are complaining are tivo-lovers."

17. Slyster

Slyster Icon

May 17, 2005
    I LOVE this box! No doubt about it.

18. matto

matto Banned User

Sep 1, 2006
    Ron: Thank you for spending 2000 words basically blaming any bad review on "fanatic Tivo users".

19. TomF

TomF Icon

Sep 20, 2006
    "The vast majority of our HR20 customers have had ... (a) good experience with their receivers ... They are happy with the performance of the HR20, its features, and functions." What a load of crap! Their spin side-steps any responsibility for releasing this product prematurely without thorough QA and testing. They're in denial about the fact that their QA is lousy (the first box that my installer brought was DOA right out of the box) and the fact that they couldn't produce a decent box on their first try. Of course there's no mention of black screen recordings, incomplete recordings, recordings being mysteriously deleted, and Season Links that don't work properly.

"We will not be satisfied until it is performing flawlessly." Oh how I hope I can look back a few months from now and say that this was true.

20. stim

stim Legend

Nov 15, 2005
    Sorry, but that is bull****.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.