1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CNN fires Rick Sanchez over controversial comments

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by Coca Cola Kid, Oct 1, 2010.

1. Oct 1, 2010 #1 of 48
    Coca Cola Kid

Coca Cola Kid Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2009
    Mt. Morris, MI
  2. Oct 1, 2010 #2 of 48
    MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Was just reading that on Yahoo.

3. Oct 1, 2010 #3 of 48
    Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Wow, Sanchez calling Stewart a bigot? The Daily Show has spent more time in the last 6 months in pro-hispanic storylines (Arizona's law, The Fence, etc) than most other media. He said he was made fun of? Stewart makes fun of everyone, ESPECIALLY Fox, but I cant recall much of anything against Sanchez. Very strange.

4. Oct 1, 2010 #4 of 48
    kiknwing

kiknwing Godfather

Jun 24, 2009
    Ogden, UT
    I think we know who the bigot is.

5. Oct 1, 2010 #5 of 48
    Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    I liked Sanchez until about a year ago when it seemed that he was getting a little full of himself. As much as I liked his 'list' segment, I completely stopped watching a few months ago. In retrospect, he seemed like a train about to run off the tracks. Too bad

6. Oct 1, 2010 #6 of 48
    hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Not surprised.

He has indeed been full of himself for a while now. Not a fan of Anderson Cooper either.

OK - for that matter CNN has been in the tank for a while now. :D

7. Oct 2, 2010 #7 of 48
    James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The seem to like reairing the tazer video. Yeah, dirty Sanchez crossed the line.

So, will Fox replace Beck with him? Seems like a lot of people just shift between the major networks. Sanchez was at ground zero for MSNBC.

My wife won't miss "Fotos" ... apparently the Spanish uttered in the theme is offensive. She would walk out of the room when she saw the bumper start.

8. Oct 2, 2010 #8 of 48
    MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    They're not the only one's. There are countless others on CNN who report the news in a very opinioned manner. I miss the days when that network presented the news Jack Webb style, "just the facts". They would be more honest if they changed their name to "Conceited News Network"!

9. Oct 2, 2010 #9 of 48
    Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    He was fine in the afternoon when the news can be a little more breezy and not as serious. I didn't like him in the evening.

My only question was, "What was he thinking?" He knew better. But then, obviously he wasn't. Instead we saw the little kid Sanchez who has always felt like a second class citizen, no matter his success, a point excellently made by a blogger on the Huffington Post, although I certainly don't feel as sorry for him as the writer does. There's been plenty of time for Rick to grow up:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mj-rosenberg/poor-rick-sanchez_b_747178.html

10. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Rick Sanchez has been full of himself since he was a local reporter down here in South Florida.

11. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    ...or....Commentary Necessary Network.... :D

12. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Find the network that does not have commentary on nearly every story.

That is the problem with all the networks. MSNBC, Fox, CNN and PBS all have news and commentary with the commentary not separated far from the news. No one seems to be able to tell a story without simply giving the facts and moving on. The reporters have to give their own personal opinion to the news to "relate" to their viewers.

13. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    Excessive Commentary, strongly agenda-based commentary, politically-motivated commentary - and not much more besides that.

They can easily take the News out of Cable News Network. It's been that way for some time now.

14. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The point was (and is) the same can be said about the other networks. Slamming CNN again doesn't make the others any less commentary filled, and if you don't see the political motivation of both FOX and MSNBC you probably agree with the direction they lean.

A few years ago CNN ran a commercial portraying the morning news shows on the broadcast networks as people sitting on couches laughing over coffee. Now all the networks seem to spend more time "connecting" and less time reporting facts.

15. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Check out BBC World News, and AlJazeera/English. Both have their "Opinion" Segmented shows, but their actual news broadcasts are presented about as opinion free, and "just the facts" as I have found.

16. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    So I take it you haven't noticed the radical changes at CNN over the past 3 years - from a world-wide news reporting network with clearly-defined commentary to nothing but agenda-based opinions and commentary...

Their personnel have drastically changed accordingly, and Rick Sanchez was yet another example of that kind of new agenda at the network.

17. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    hdtvfan0001, if you feel this strongly about CNN, where do you go for straight news reporting?

18. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Same can be said for Fox News. Like James said, "That is the problem with all the networks."

19. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    I gave up on CNN for the most part sometime ago. They've gone downhill since the early days of the Iraq war. Many of their good reporters are gone. Every now and then, they do a good job of reporting (Katrina, Haiti, Nashville), but on a day to day basis quality of reporting has suffered.
    Unfortunately, all the cable and broadcast networks seem to have gone for young, attractive people who are adept at reading a Teleprompter. There are a few reporters on NBC, ABC and CBS who do a good job of presenting the facts and actually go out in the field.
    On another front (not meaning to hijack the thread), ever since NBCU took over the Weather Channel, it has become the Weather Entertainment Channel.

20. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Perhaps more appropriate, "Weather Entertainment Television, or WET. :sure: