1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CNN HD Sept 1st on Directv

Discussion in 'DISH™ High Definition Discussion' started by space86, Aug 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. space86

space86 Icon

May 4, 2007
    Will Dish Network add CNN HD on Sept 1st since Directv is going too?

2. pdxsam

pdxsam Godfather

Jun 19, 2004
    Probably not on Sept1. Directv has signed some agreements with some providers that thier HD will appear first on Directv. Can't remember is CNN is one of them.

CNN-HD will appear at some point. Rumor has it more HD channels are due mid September, CNN-HD could be one of them.

3. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Where did you come up with 9/1/07?

Swanni predicted that CNN-HD would be available by the end of 2005.

A TV News article says that CNN-HD is slated to launch in September

CNN says that they are going to show a two-part miniseries in HD in the fourth week of October.

It is anybody's guess, but I would caution against making plans based on what DIRECTV is claiming.

4. msmith198025

msmith198025 Member of the Year

Jun 28, 2007
    i think the correct timeframe is sometime the second week in september for D* not sure the exact date right off.
    Yes E* will probably get it too not long after if they have the bandwidth available

5. Mikey

Mikey Hall Of Fame

Oct 26, 2004
    Or maybe a week or two before, or maybe not at all. Dish hasn't committed to CNN-HD yet.

6. pdxsam

pdxsam Godfather

Jun 19, 2004
    Truth is no one but the programming staff in Englewood know what Dish has committed to. Speculation is fun but purely that.

As harsh pointed out making plans against speculation is not the way to go.

7. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Personally I like Dish just rolling along adding channels and not bragging for months and months in advance. Much better than talking about it all year, then finally getting a payoff, maybe.

Dish still has bandwidth to add a few more, and just created a bunch of new bandwidth by moving Voom channels to MPEG4... so it will be a question of what channels launch this year in HD moreso than what Dish has bandwidth limited for, in my opinion.

8. pdxsam

pdxsam Godfather

Jun 19, 2004
    Also keep in mind Dish has tuned the encoders and stat muxes very well. They're getting a good balance at 6 per transponder in mpeg4. So there is some breathing room.

9. msmith198025

msmith198025 Member of the Year

Jun 28, 2007
    yep, which is why i said probably;)

10. nataraj

nataraj Godfather

Feb 25, 2006
    Even if they have ... does it specify for how many days/months they can't go with other providers ? If not CNN can be on E* the next day (if not the next hour) ...

11. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I would be surprised if any of the normal channels signed any kind of long-term exclusivity with any provider. NFL Sunday Ticket is a different animal... but it would be monumentally stupid for a channel, CNNHD for example, to not want to be on Dish, DirecTV, and all the cable outlets as soon as they can after launch.

12. nataraj

nataraj Godfather

Feb 25, 2006
    It would make sense only if D* is giving some financial incentive - I doubt D* would do that.

13. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    D* does like throwing money at the problem ... their subscriber's money, but they do seem to have deep pockets when it comes to negotiations.

With CNN's Interactive feature on E* I doubt that CNN HD won't be coming to E* sooner than later. The same with The Weather Channel (which I expect will come to E* when it is HD and not just upconvert). The companies already have a working relationship beyond the "we'll show your SD channel" stage.

14. dbconsultant

dbconsultant Hall Of Fame

Sep 13, 2005
    Temecula, CA
    It would be nice if all the news channels, CNN, FoxNews, etc. would go widescreen HD so we could see the news crawl at the bottom without having to change the format to partial zoom or pillarboxed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.