1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CNN HD(?)

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by dcandmc, Feb 6, 2009.

1. Feb 6, 2009 #1 of 21
    dcandmc

dcandmc Legend

Sep 24, 2008
    Why is CNN HD not putting out an HD picture? Granted, I only usually watch in the early afternoon, but why isn't their Atlanta studio at that time providing an HD picture? It's the exact same thing as their SD feed, except for the "HD" graphics on either side of the 4:3 image. I don't get it.

2. Feb 6, 2009 #2 of 21
    anarchyreings

anarchyreings New Member

Nov 22, 2008
    It is HD, it's just in 4:3 format.

3. Feb 6, 2009 #3 of 21
    raoul5788

raoul5788 Guest

May 13, 2006
    Not all of their programming is in hd. Perhaps that was what you were watching.

4. Feb 6, 2009 #4 of 21
    Jeremy W

Jeremy W Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2006
    Nope. CNN doesn't show any 4:3 HD programming, if it's 4:3 it's SD.

5. Feb 6, 2009 #5 of 21
    dcandmc

dcandmc Legend

Sep 24, 2008
    I understand that many of their remote shots will be SD with side borders on the HD channel, but I'm talking about stuff that originates from their Atlanta studio, with the prime talent for that particular time slot.

6. Feb 6, 2009 #6 of 21
    dcandmc

dcandmc Legend

Sep 24, 2008
    That makes sense with what I'm seeing. I flicked back and forth today between CHH HD and CNN, and the only difference I saw, including picture quality, was the "HD" graphics on the sides of the 4:3 picture on CNN HD.

7. Feb 6, 2009 #7 of 21
    Jeremy W

Jeremy W Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2006
    Only CNN's New York studios are HD at this time. Atlanta and DC are not.

8. Feb 6, 2009 #8 of 21
    dcandmc

dcandmc Legend

Sep 24, 2008
    Ahh, that explains it. But it also begs the question: what are they waiting for? Isn't the Atlanta studio CNN's "flagship" location?

9. Feb 6, 2009 #9 of 21
    Jeremy W

Jeremy W Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2006
    Atlanta is the flagship, I don't know why they're waiting. I seem to recall reading an article that gave the reason, but I don't really remember.

10. Funk Doctor

Funk Doctor Cool Member

Jan 10, 2009
    Actually there have been HD feeds from the DC bureau. On AM they had one anchor in DC, the other in NY and it was all in HD. Apparently the DC bureau has HD cameras, but only shows run thru the NY control room can be shown in HD.

CNN had planned to make the DC, LA and Atlanta bureaus full HD, but that was before the economy tanked, so who knows what the plan is now.

11. anarchyreings

anarchyreings New Member

Nov 22, 2008
    No. CNN's HD channel sometimes has a 4:3 picture with a giant sized "HD" written on either side of it. If it was SD it wouldn't have giant "HD" letters written on both sides...and that's what the OP is talking about. They don't always do it, but they do do it a lot on certain programs.

12. Jeremy W

Jeremy W Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2006
    The "HD" just means you're on the HD channel, not that the programming is HD. It's SD.

13. ajc68

ajc68 Icon

Jan 23, 2008
    Several channels show SD programing on the HD feed and put up HD bars to fill the gap (like ESPN, CNN, etc.). They don't mean the program is in HD, they are there to let you know you are viewing the HD channel.

I too am surprised the CNN has yet to go full HD. You would think the Atlanta studios would've been done first.

14. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Most stations would disagree; upgrading the "home office" first would be a huge risk, as everything would have to work. Upgrading remote offices first gives the engineers a chance to get familiar with the equipment, and gives the home office a chance to work on their portion of the new equipment without risking a "sink or swim" problem.

HD isn't a switch, it's a TRANSITION. It is happening over time, not all at once. It's also very, very expensive to replace all existing equipment, workflows, and training for an operation as big as CNN, especially with all of the remote feeds they have to deal with. It's a massive undertaking; far bigger than, say, a network that shows re-runs and a few original shows.

It will still be a couple of years before most networks are full-time HD.

15. CorpITGuy

CorpITGuy Godfather

Apr 11, 2007
    Fox News does the same thing. Some studios are outfitted for 16:9 and HD, others are 4:3 (either SD or HD, I'm not sure... I assume SD).

I've noticed that if the studio where the whole thing takes place is 4:3 SD, the entire program is, even if the remote location is 16:9 HD. For instance, Fox might interview someone from Los Angeles in 16:9 HD on one program, then bring them back for the next but since the main program is 4:3 SD, so is the LA feed.

16. Renard

Renard Godfather

Jun 21, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    I don't know if it has already been reported, but it seems that the 5.1 audio on CNN HD is not working properly. i have only audio on the left rear speaker.
    i thought it was my receiver or my HR21, but no it seems that CNN HD has some audio problems.
    Could somebody else confirm

17. VegasDen

VegasDen Legend

Jul 12, 2007
    Las Vegas, NV
    Yes, I noticed it to this am. Quick run through some of my other "favorites" indicate it's isolated to CNN HD.

18. Renard

Renard Godfather

Jun 21, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    cool so it's not my receiver

19. msmith

msmith Icon

Apr 23, 2002
    I called DirecTV and reported the left rear audio problem. The rep said he'd send a note to engineering.

20. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    The audio seems to be back to normal now.