1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Coast to Coast in 29 Hours

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Mark Holtz, Oct 31, 2013.

1. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
  2. yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo Icon

Nov 1, 2006
    Jacksonville Fl
    So did their friends who were 150 miles ahead also break the record. :). Never saw the movie but have heard of it.

3. Nov 1, 2013 #3 of 19
    Drucifer

Drucifer New Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    [​IMG]

4. Nov 1, 2013 #4 of 19
    Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    OK, we have not one, but THREE GPS systems. Plus, isn't the iPad and iPhone GPS capable also?

5. Nov 1, 2013 #5 of 19
    klang

klang Hall Of Fame

Oct 14, 2003
    Near...
    I hope the coverage of this 'event' doesn't inspire a bunch of yahoos trying to beat the 'record'. Already enough idiots on the road.

6. Nov 1, 2013 #6 of 19
    yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo Icon

Nov 1, 2006
    Jacksonville Fl
    I was thinking about that. One hundred miles a hours seen like the next thing. As for idiots the world is full of them.

7. Nov 1, 2013 #7 of 19
    harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    As the iOS version of multitasking is really more of a task switcher with limited background services, it can't display real-time GPS data and some other app at the same time.

Gesturing at 100mph+ is not something you want to be engaging in when you need to be looking out for idiot drivers and Smokey.

1 person likes this.
  8. Nov 1, 2013 #8 of 19
    Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    The built in GPS on Mercedes' is already very good, but it would seem for this type of driving, you'd need less GPS and more scanners, radar and radar detection.

For my record attempt, I'll hire a couple of light aircraft to check on "conditions".

9. Nov 1, 2013 #9 of 19
    harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    I would imagine that you would need at least three GPS units each working on different routes to make sure you have a couple of alternatives at all times.

10. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Headline should read: "Speeding Motorist Endangers Lives Across America"

Idiot :down:

11. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Along with "egotistical *******". Shoot! Got edited out. The French word is "batârd"....

I do wonder what his top speeds were, if the average was just under a hundred.

Also wonder if he'll receive citations from any and all states he flew through.

12. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    People should READ the linked article ...

Max speed registered on GPS was 158mph. They were moving for 28hrs 4min and stopped for 46min. 2813.7 miles.
    There was a co-driver ... and assistance from friends scouting the roads ahead.

I'd like to see the GPS track and a speeding ticket issued for each location where the vehicle was over the limit. But with two drivers which one would get each ticket? In states where the registered owner of the car could receive the ticket they could ticket the owner but otherwise they would need to identify the driver.

I'm glad he didn't kill anyone and hope anyone who is stupid enough to attempt to beat the "record" is stopped early.

13. yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo Icon

Nov 1, 2006
    Jacksonville Fl
    Amen.

14. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    I can't imagine there was any location where he was within the speed limit, except momentarily during deceleration into a pit stop and roaring away from same. Oh, and while crawling through traffic in Manhattan....

15. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    Did he go through Montana or Texas? Montana still doesn't have a speed limit does it? And Texas, have they opened up that freeway with 90 mph speed limit yet? I think they have one with a 85 right now already.

16. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    google maps suggests either I-80 or I-40. Neither are anywhere near Montana, but I-40 goes through the Texas panhandle.
    Drive time is between 40 & 41 hrs.

17. dmspen

dmspen Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Dec 1, 2006
    Los Gatos,...
    There used to be a race across country that was covered yearly in the car magazines. It was about a 3000 mile race from New York to Washington (the state). I remember, ages ago, when Dan Guerney and his team set a new record of 33+ hours in a Ferrari. I haven't heard about this race in a long time so it was probably canned for safety concerns.

18. PokerJoker

PokerJoker Godfather

Apr 12, 2008
    Las Vegas
    Yeah, that was the original Cannonball race. Dan Gurney and Brock Yates in a Ferrari Daytona. It wasn't to Washington State, it was the same as the recent record run, from the Red Ball Garage in NYC to the Portofino Inn in Redondo Beach, California.

It seems like a lot of the people on this thread, and maybe the journalists too, don't quite understand that this is not any kind of legally sanctioned event. Never has been legal. Never will be legal. The original race was intended, in part, to be a giant raised scofflaw middle finger aimed at the Ralph Naders and Joan Claybrooks of the world. That spirit continues whenever someone breaks the unofficial record. Unofficial, because there never was really anything "official" about it..

19. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    I did read it, saw the stats, and should have phrased my question as "I wonder what the maximum sustained speed was, say over a 25 mile or 30 minute stretch."