1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coca-Cola recipe on eBay?

Discussion in 'The OT' started by dpeters11, May 14, 2013.

1. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    http://www.11alive.com/news/article/291708/40/Coca-Cola-recipe-found-Georgia-man-says-he-has-it

Now, I personally feel the whole formula thing is more marketing than anything. I seriously doubt Pepsi doesn't know how to make it, they really just wouldn't want to. People like Pepsi because it tastes like Pepsi, not Coke. Plus, getting the refined coca leaf extract probably isn't all that easy since there is only one company that I know of with the proper DEA license.

I've been in the "vault" in Atlanta. I wouldn't be surprised if there was nothing there.

2. bjdotson

bjdotson Legend

Feb 20, 2007
    I work in a chemical laboratory and long ago I had a supervisor, a chemist with lots of experience that had also worked as a chemist for the Food and Drug Administration. I asked him regarding the coke secret formula if they could analyze it and determine what is in it. He said that while they could pick the major ingrediants; in fine detail they couldn't. The human tongue can detect subtle flavor variations, that can not be detected with instruments.

As an aside, I doubt strongly that the "real" fomula would be for sale; since it is patented, it would be a violaton of law.

3. gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    author Poundstone has already written the definitive piece on the formula in one of his "Big Secrets" books.

I thought his revelation regarding KFC were far more shocking than the Coke article.

He also savvied out Oysters Rockefeller, and in that case, EVERYBODY was wrong about that one, no spinach, it's parsley!!

4. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Is the KFC revelation the large amounts of MSG?

I've been amused at times by people that say they are allergic to MSG and so avoid chinese restaurants, but find they go to KFC. I ask them how KFC's MSG is different so that they aren't affected.

Coke can always say whatever recipe isn't the real deal and the world will continue as it has, with their secret formula. Same goes for Dr. Pepper, though they did confirm once before that there is no prune juice. It's a good marketing tool.

5. gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    No 11 herbs and spices.

6. RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

Jan 23, 2008
    Actually it's not patented. If it were they'd have to disclose the formula as part of the patent process. It's an unpatented trade secret.

7. houskamp

houskamp New Member

Sep 14, 2006
    biggest problem is the recipe would be for making 10,000 gallons :)

8. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    I buy paint thinner by the gallon. I don't need the recipe for it.

9. djlong

djlong Hall Of Fame

Jul 8, 2002
    New Hampshire
    All I can think of is a cartoon I saw in the paper some time after the New Coke debacle.

Scene: About a dozen executives at a board meeting.

Chairman: "Ok. So it's all agreed. We're going to go back to the original formula for Coca-Cola"

Exec #1 whispering to Exec #2: "Great. Where are we going to get all the cocaine?"