1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

College basketball Blackout ?

Discussion in 'Sports Programming and Events' started by Eastern Bear, Jan 15, 2005.

1. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear New Member

Jan 15, 2005
    Newbie here,

For the 2nd week in a row I have not been able to watch a college basketball game on FSSW (OU v Baylor) in DC b/c the game is blacked out. I was able to watch all of the FSSW Big 12 games last year, but for some reason they are blacked out. I cannot find a way to contact FSSW and DISH says it's those guys that are doing it.

Any body know what the story is here?
    :mad:
    Thanks

2. FTA Michael

FTA Michael Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2002
    On most college basketball blackouts, the problem is that it's part of the ESPN Full Court package. But I don't see that game on the Full Court schedule. Once in a while, a local broadcast station has the rights and requests a blackout. Maybe a DC station has Big 12 rights?

3. jrbdmb

jrbdmb Icon

Sep 5, 2002
    New TV deal this year between Big 12 and ESPN forces the Big 12 to black out all of their FSN-produced games outside of the home team's state. So, you only get to see the Texas / Baylor / A&M on FSSW if you live in Texas, you only get to see the Kansas State games if you live in Kansas, etc. Apparently the Mizzou games don't get blacked out because they are not produced by FSMW (even though FSMW shows a lot of the games).

Note that these blackout occur even though the games are not part of Full Court. :mad:

4. ppa316

ppa316 New Member

Feb 12, 2005
    because i live in texas, and i subscrinbe to full court and the extra rsns, and when i try to watch games on say fox sports florida it says program not available in your area. is this a similar situation as this other guy is having? thanks guys

5. jrbdmb

jrbdmb Icon

Sep 5, 2002
    Yup, almost the same. SEC games are blacked out on the southeast RSNs (Sun Sports, FSS, sometimes FSSW) to anyone outside of the SEC states, even though the games are *not* on FullCourt.