1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

College Basketball Blackouts

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by stevetanneyhill, Nov 15, 2011.

1. stevetanneyhill

stevetanneyhill Mentor

Mar 20, 2007
    Is it just me or do there seem to be far more college basketball blackouts this season? By way of example, I'd like to watch the South Carolina @ Leon game tonight. It's blacked out on Sport South and FS Florida. Last year I remember getting these types of 3rd tier games. I've noticed more blackouts during college football this year as well. I used to see a benefit in the Sports Pack (mainly for the college sports programming), but with all of the blackouts it really doesn't seem to be worth the cost.

Something that makes the situation even more maddening is that the game I want to watch is available nationally on Fox College Sports Pacific (something I can only get on cable - and for a much lower price than the Sports Pack). If these games are on FCS, it seems that they should be available to Sports Pack subs.

2. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    If the games were sold by the copyright holder to only those people living in the Sports South (example) area, then Sports South would notify DirecTv that the game does not have a national copyright, so DirecTv would be forced to black out anyone that doesnt get Sports South in their locals package.

I know it sucks, but its all about money and the teams are the ones that are determining who can watch, not DirecTv.

3. stevetanneyhill

stevetanneyhill Mentor

Mar 20, 2007
    I understand why they can't. Contracts are contracts. But it seems that they are just no longer able to offer a compelling product for 10+ dollars per month (especially since the same games can be viewed on cable for far less). In fact, I subscribe to DirecTV b/c I used to be able to access college sports content that I couldn't access with cable in my area. Now, it appears that I can't get it on DirecTV, BUT I could get it on cable by simply subscribing to to FCS Atlantic, Central and Pacific. I hate to say this, but I think I have to strongly consider switching to cable.

4. crimpshrine

crimpshrine Legend

Aug 2, 2010
    What good would of FCS Atlantic, Central or Pacific done you tonight? I'm not trying to be a smart ass or anything, but I think you have a better chance of seeing the games on Directv since they have a lot more RSN's...(even though you ran into a blackout tonight)

5. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    The game is an ESPN Full Court game on channel 721...that's probably why it's blacked out.

6. ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    That doesn't explain why I couldn't watch it. Elon is literally 5 miles from here! If that's not home area, what is?!?!?

7. fleckrj

fleckrj Icon

Sep 4, 2009
    Cary, NC
    I am not sure which regional sports network is considered the "local" network for Alamance county. Under normal situations, if that local network showed the game, then it should not have been blacked out. If it was on a different regional network, then it would have been blacked out because ESPN has the national rights.

The South Carolina at Elon game is a special situation, though. I suspect that Elon does not have a broadcast package, but South Carolina does. The game was probably televised through a South Carolina or SEC television deal. If that is the case, then even though Elon is in your backyard, the only areas that would get the game (other than through ESPN Full Court) would be in the SEC areas.

8. Red Dog

Red Dog Godfather

Aug 3, 2008
    In past year's experiences with the SP, when it came to blackouts (living in the DC area), the southern RSNs always gave me the biggest problems. The other regular blackouts were 3rd tier Big 12 telecasts on RSNs such as FSN-RM and FSN-MW. Other than that, pretty much everything was in the clear.

9. George_T

George_T Legend

Sep 19, 2002
    I have always wondered something...Is Steve Tanneyhill directly related to Randy Johnson, the ex-pitcher? They both had that scraggly hair/mullet look going on in their day. ;)

10. stevetanneyhill

stevetanneyhill Mentor

Mar 20, 2007
    Because the game was simulcast on FCS Pacific. That's the point. When I pay 10+ dollars a month for the sports pack on DirecTV I can't watch it. But if I pay (the much lower charge) for the sports tier on cable (which includes FCS Atlantic, Central and Pacific) I can watch it.

11. zimm7778

zimm7778 Hall Of Fame

Nov 11, 2007
    I know nothing about FCS. I had them back when I had cable but never watched them. I know our local cable operator offers channels like YES and NESN but as I'm in Florida, the games on there are not televised. I also realize most of those are pro but a blackout is a blackout. Are you sure FCS doesn't do the same thing?

12. lwilli201

lwilli201 Hall Of Fame

Dec 22, 2006
    Missouri
    Are you sure that game did not air on one of your local OTA channels?

13. ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    I realize now that I was trying to watch the game on 655-1 (FS Florida) and not Sportsouth. I assume the game was not blacked out on Sportsouth. Oops :) We watched the Duke game anyway, but it would have been nice to flip to see Elon beat South Carolina, as my gf is an Elon student.

14. ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    Oh, and I thought we do have FCS on Directv, but only the live, exclusive games? Ch 617, 623, and 626. Since this game was on several other channels, Directv would not need to carry it on FCS as it is not exclusive.

15. zimm7778

zimm7778 Hall Of Fame

Nov 11, 2007
    Btw, what time was this game? FS Florida was televising the Panthers/Stars game last night.

16. stevetanneyhill

stevetanneyhill Mentor

Mar 20, 2007
    No. I just canceled the Sports Pack. Too bad. It was a very good product for college sports on RSNs (until this seasons blackouts that didn't exist in prior seasons). I guess I'll be watching on ESPN3 from now on - in standard def :(

17. skylab

skylab Legend

Dec 5, 2007
    If the game was on fox college sports, you should have been able to watch it on the fcs channel. Sometimes the guide doesn't list the games on fcs.

Had a similar issue a few years back when Ohio went to Maryland and beat them at their place. I'm in Ohio. Game was blacked out on fssouth but was shown on Comcast midatlantic. Probably a mistake to have aired the game since acc normally blacks those out to those outside of the acc footprint when a game is on an rsn.

18. hallrk

hallrk Legend

Apr 15, 2010
    Not that it mattered to me but I was blacked out on the Wake Forest game last night on my Full Court package. It then directed me to channel 673 to view the game. Really weird. I live in the DC area so channel 673 is not one of my RSN's. So I have no idea why this game would have been blacked out on Full Court?

19. fleckrj

fleckrj Icon

Sep 4, 2009
    Cary, NC
    The ACC has the strangest blackout rules I have seen. I have ESPN Full Court and the sports pack, but if Maryland is on Full Court at the same time one of the North Carolina teams are on WRAL (Raleigh channel 5), then the Maryland game is blacked out on full court.

The only time an SEC game is blacked out for me is when it is the CBS national game, but WRAL elects to show a regionally produced broadcast of an ACC game.

20. stevetanneyhill

stevetanneyhill Mentor

Mar 20, 2007
    The FCS Atlantic game was on the FCS channel that night, but the FCS Pacific game (which was the game I was interested in) was not.