1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Colorado Springs DTV HD locals

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by bnwrx, Mar 16, 2009.

1. bnwrx

bnwrx Icon

Dec 29, 2007
    colorado,...
    In Oct. 2008 DTV added HD locals to our market, all except for KRDO/13, the ABC local. After fruitless attempts to sway the station manager at KRDO I gave up and have been patiently waiting. I was told by the Mgr. at the station that Directv has not signed a contract for HD with KRDO even though DTV carries the SD feed. Well this past Sunday, DISH Network ran a full page ad in the paper touting that they now offer ALL network channels in Colorado Springs in HD. The add also stated "this is something you can't get with Directv" Its true, still no HD from KRDO!! My next door neighbor confirmed he now gets ALL locals in HD from his DISH Network. Come on DTV and KRDO, whats the big deal stalling this contract!!!!?

2. rockymountaind

rockymountaind Cool Member

Jul 15, 2008
    Does anyone know what will happen on June 12th? Will D* customers lose KRDO or will they begin receiving the digital feed?

3. litzdog911

litzdog911 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    The June 12th analog TV cutoff should not affect your KRDO SD satellite feed. DirecTV may already be using a digital feed, like they do in most cities.

It's funny that Dish is making a big advertising issue because they carry KRDO's HDTV channel. In Seattle, Dish Network lost their rights to our local ABC feed (KOMO) due to a contract dispute with Fisher Broadcasting. And, of course, DirecTV is running all sorts of advertising to hammer home that Dish doesn't carry ABC here. Crazy.

4. dpfaunts

dpfaunts Godfather

Oct 17, 2006
    Also 13-1 the OTA digital signal works great. I live 10 miles north of Falcon and have problems with 5, 8, 13 & 21 all digital HD OTA (I do have and outdoor antenna). 11 is a bit weaker. It appears on my TV tuner but not on my HR-20s. I'd investigate the possibility of OTA for your KRDO issue.

5. rockymountaind

Jul 15, 2008
    If D* is using KRDO's digital feed, wouldn't we be getting it in "HD" via the satellite? Right now, I have to switch to OTA (no AM21) to view ABC shows in HD.

6. bnwrx

bnwrx Icon

Dec 29, 2007
    colorado,...
    As told to me by the station manager at KRDO, DTV has a contract to rebroadcast the SD signal only. Broadcast the HD signal requires another contract which has not been agreed too.

7. rockymountaind

Jul 15, 2008
    Well that's not good.

I didn't know they'd have two signals after 6/12. I was hoping we'd get the digital/HD feed then :(

8. rockymountaind

Jul 15, 2008
    OK, figured it out I think.

KRDO can request that D* "center-cut" the 16:9 digital to 4:3. Guess that's what we'll have to live with until they get a retransmission agreement signed :mad:

9. MountainMan10

MountainMan10 Icon

Jan 30, 2008
    Digital does not mean HD. A number of the digital OTA channels in Denver are 4:3 and 480p.

10. rockymountaind

Jul 15, 2008
    Yeah, I know some stations broadcast in digital, but carry no HD programming; that's not the case here though.

KRDO is owned by NPG. The problem seems to be with them as none of the three ABC affiliates they own in D* local markets (Colorado Springs, El Paso & Palm Springs) are carried in HD.

I was just unaware of the "center-cut" clause for HD programming. Oh well.

11. rockymountaind

Jul 15, 2008
    http://www.krdo.com/Global/story.asp?S=11778899

Finally!

12. bnwrx

bnwrx Icon

Dec 29, 2007
    colorado,...
    Glad to see it is settled. Been watching and have noticed the sound thru DTV is not DD. Other local channels have DD sound. Are other viewers experiencing this?

13. bnwrx

bnwrx Icon

Dec 29, 2007
    colorado,...
    Here We Go Again!!!!
    On or about 1/7/2010 this was announced:
    "NEWSCHANNEL 13 - KRDO is pleased to announce we have come to an agreement with DirecTV for them to carry KRDO's high definition signal. Thursday morning at 4am KRDO will be added to DirecTV's HD tier. That means football fans on DirecTV will be able to watch the National Championship game in HD on Thursday evening.

"I'd like to thank all of our DirecTV viewers for their patience in resolving this situation and we sincerely hope you enjoy seeing all of the KRDO newscasts in HD along with all the great ABC programming", says KRDO General Manager Tim Larson.

DirecTV will begin airing KRDO in high definition early Thursday morning."

NOW THIS:
    "NewsChannel 13, DirecTV Negotiations Information
    POSTED: 11:28 am MDT August 17, 2010

UPDATED: 11:45 am MDT August 19, 2010
    KRDO NewsChannel 13, DirecTV
    COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. -- NEWSCHANNEL 13 and the DirecTV satellite service are negotiating a new satellite agreement. Unfortunately, the negotiations are currently at an impasse and the current contract expires on Monday, Aug. 23, 2010 at 1PM.

While our parent company, News-Press and Gazette Broadcasting, is continuing to negotiate in good faith, if you are a DirecTV subscriber, and we are unable to reach a new agreement with DirecTV, you will not be able to receive NEWSCHANNEL 13 newscasts or local ABC programming from the DirecTV satellite service after next Monday afternoon.

NEWSCHANNEL 13 will, of course, continue to be available to you free over the air, by cable, or by satellite from the Dish Network. Again, NEWSCHANNEL 13 will make every effort to avoid any disruption of our programming on DirecTV. We will keep you fully informed of the progress of the negotiations with DirecTV both on air and online at KRDO.com."

People in Southern Colorado with Directv will not have ABC for the foreseeable future. The HD contract was only signed in January of this year and now its is out of contract? The on-screen message from KRDO mentions DISH network still has the signal. Obviously the owners of KRDO dislike DTV as this is the 2nd time in 2 years since HD was available locally from DTV that KRDO is the only local station that does not have a contract with DTV.

14. rockymountaind

Jul 15, 2008
    Was too good to be true, I guess. Better fire up the AM21.

15. BBM3

BBM3 Mentor

Oct 26, 2007
    KROD is just looking for a piece of the pie.
    To compare themselves to dedicated worldwide "cable" channels CNN, ESPN etc. is insane.

If I where an advertiser on KROD I'd move on.
    They should be paying DirecTv for the additional viewers they receive
    and therefore the higher advertising rates they can ask for.

Instead of holding their local viewers hostage in an attempt to shake down DirecTv as a source of additional revenue
    they should work on improving their programming and earn their viewers.

KROD does not need me and I do not need them.

Good riddance KROD. :nono2:

16. Kansas Zephyr

Kansas Zephyr Hall Of Fame

Jun 29, 2007
    It's KRDO...not KROD.

So, you know what they're asking D* for...and it's unreasonable? I'm not "in the room" so I don't know.

KRDO is "holding local viewers hostage"? When one can install a quality antenna for a one time cost, and receive a lifetime of free OTA service.

Or, get cable. When you have choices...you may not like them...but your not a hostage either.

D* makes money reselling/creating channels. This is just part of the process of both parties coming to a mutually beneficial agreement.

17. kkl

kkl Mentor

Feb 11, 2007
    http://www.krdo.com/news/24660899/detail.html

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. -- KRDO NEWSCHANNEL 13 is pleased to announce an agreement to keep KRDO NEWSCHANNEL 13 on DIRECTV. An agreement was reached Wednesday. The two companies are happy to be able to continue to serve Southern Colorado viewers with the best in News, Entertainment and Sports programming.

KRDO General Manager Tim Larson said, "We appreciate the support we have received from many viewers over the past few weeks during the negotiations. We are happy to be able to continue to provide our signal to them through DIRECTV".

KRDO NEWSCHANNEL 13 can be seen on DIRECTV on Channel 13.​