1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Columbia, SC Updates Anyone?

Discussion in 'DISH™ High Definition Discussion' started by jmeetze, Oct 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oct 8, 2007 #1 of 10
    jmeetze

jmeetze Cool Member

Oct 8, 2007
    Does anyone in the Columbia, SC area have any clue when we will be getting our local channels in HD? Time Warner has had their chokehold on the local channels long enough. It's killing me when I have to watch all the good football games in crappy standard definition.

2. Oct 8, 2007 #2 of 10
    dahenny

dahenny Legend

Apr 16, 2007
    E* is in the middle of that whole boycott SC flag thingy.:D

JUST KIDDING!!!!

I bet not a whole lot of new HD locals until the new birds go up & get lit. IMO

3. Oct 8, 2007 #3 of 10
    booger

booger Legend

Oct 31, 2005
    I live in the Upstate of SC. I've heard of talk since 06 that we would get our locals in HD so I finally went out and picked up an OTA. I hated watching games in SD. It's a cheap inside antenna but picks up all of my locals but one. So I bit the bullet just last week and picked up a Wineguard from BB and it picks up all of my locals even several PBS and UNC channels. I have it mounted about 4 feet off the ground on my deck railing. I simply pointed it north then tweaked it a bit to get them all. It was very easy.

I've read where some here in the upstate can even pickup locals in and around Columbia. I highly recommend picking up one. The picture quality is excellent and you won't have to wait on E*. WSPA's local news is now in HD! I think more local news companies will soon follow suite.

Good luck.

4. Oct 8, 2007 #4 of 10
    jmeetze

jmeetze Cool Member

Oct 8, 2007
    You know, that wouldn't surprise me actually. Everyone else is boycotting because of that flag. Anyway, thanks for the update. Hopefully it won't be too much longer.

5. Oct 8, 2007 #5 of 10
    jmeetze

jmeetze Cool Member

Oct 8, 2007
    I do have this little HD Antenna that came with an HD video card for picking up local HD channels, but I haven't tried it because I didn't think it would be able to pick up locals from my house. I live in Lexington and not sure what the range on these HD antennas is.

6. Oct 8, 2007 #6 of 10
    dahenny

dahenny Legend

Apr 16, 2007
    Give it a try. Nothibg to lose. PLUS, you get better PQ than with satellite.

7. Oct 8, 2007 #7 of 10
    dpd146

dpd146 Godfather

Oct 1, 2005
    I hold no hopes of getting locals here in Charleston anytime soon but I don't care because I get all the locals OTA at %100 reception. I like the locals OTA because I never lose a signal because of rain and the picture is great.

8. Oct 8, 2007 #8 of 10
    Moridin

Moridin Legend

Mar 21, 2005
    I live about 25 miles NW of Columbia, and can pick up all the locals except ABC (which broadcasts in the VHF band) using a $40 Zenith Silver Sensor that's sitting on top of my TV.

9. Oct 9, 2007 #9 of 10
    jmeetze

jmeetze Cool Member

Oct 8, 2007
    Well I went home and setup the Antenna that came with my ATI video card and I can get all the HD Channels from my house I also picked up ABC from an Augusta affiliate. I'm getting between 70 and 85% signal. The picture looks great and I was amazed that I can actually pick these up from my house. I guess I'm not familiar enough with Digital OTA signals yet.

10. uscboy

uscboy Godfather

Sep 5, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.