1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Columbus-Tupelo Ms Locals To be on Direc Tv Tomorrow

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Msguy, Jul 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Msguy

Msguy Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2003
    Saw WTVA Channel 9 in Tupelo's newscast tonight. The Columbus-Tupelo-West Point, Mississippi channels should be available on Direc Tv Tomorrow Weds June 2, 2003

2. bills976

bills976 Godfather/Supporter

Jun 30, 2002
    Excellent news! The only city I ever heard of in MS was Jackson until you guys started posting about the Columbus/Tupelo Locals. Enjoy!

3. gor88

gor88 Icon

May 9, 2003
    Msguy,

Thanks for the information.

You might hear Mom shout for joy all the way from Coffeeville tomorrow. :D :D

Are ABC and FOX active up there yet?

4. Msguy

Msguy Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2003
    yes WLOV Fox 27 and WKDH ABC 45 are uplinked and tomorrow is when the roll out will be

5. steven1370

steven1370 Guest

I am thinking of switching from Dish to Directtv now that the
    Tupelo-Columbus locals are available to me. My zip code is 38847 and is considered a 'white' area. Are the La and Ny feeds still avaiable to me if I get the locals or is that no longer possible? or
    would waivers be needed, and that is likely not to happen now.
    Does anyone have this answer? Thanks.

6. Greg Bimson

Greg Bimson Hall Of Fame

May 5, 2003
    Are you sure you are in a white area?

You aren't too far from Tupelo, so I am wondering why you'd be in a white area. The best thing to do is call DirecTV, and find out what distants are available to your zip code.

7. gor88

gor88 Icon

May 9, 2003
    steven1370,

In all odds, D* won't let you have distants once the locals are activated in Columbus. As I understand it, D* typically shuts off distants if you get locals. D* is much more strict about who can get distant nets.

If you want distant nets, you should stay with Dish. Keep in mind that Dish has indicated that the Columbus, MS market will be added sometime in 2004 with a dot on a US map shown in the June Charlie Chat (which I don't see anymore, since I switched to D*). My BET is that it would occur by the end of March, but that is my OPINION and not any official E* declaration. E* (Dish Network) will let you keep distants once you have the waivers, although the recent Miami court ruling may cause E* to reevaluate your waivers.

Also, you currently can't get distant WB or UPN stations on D* if your locals package doesn't include them, but E* can provide them. D* is working on providing distant WB and UPN stations at the present time.

It's not an easy decision, but this information should help you to decide which way to go.

8. ChrisPC

ChrisPC Godfather

Jun 16, 2003
    I can still get all my distants, even after I got my locals. Of course, I have waivers for them.

9. Msguy

Msguy Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2003
    Steven1370,
    I don't know if New York and L.A. Locals will still be available since Columbus-Tupelo-West Point, Ms Locals are now on Direc Tv in your area. It'll be nice to finally be able to see Local News, Area Weather, Sports, and just Local Programming in General. To the Poster who is thinking about switching over from Dish Network to Direc Tv. Dish Network may in the future have Columbus-Tupelo-West Point. But man Locals on Satellite sure are nice. I'm sure your nearest local Direc TV Dealer would be happy to fix you up with Direc Tv so you can now receive all your Satellite Programming and Local Channels now. I guess it all depends on if you want to wait for Dish Network to get Columbus-Tupelo. I'll tell ya though. Personally i've been waiting a while in anticipation if Locals would ever get on Satellite in the Northeast Mississippi area and they are finally now available on Direc Tv. The Picture is so much better than Cable Tv or trying to pick them up with an antenna. It's your call my friend.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.