1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

.com stores for Directv?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by papillo-j, Mar 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. papillo-j

papillo-j Mentor

Feb 20, 2003
    I found a place on the web called http://www.satellite-store.com
    and they seem to have very good prices.

Has anyone ever heard of this place and can tell me if it is a good
    outfit to do business with?

Does anyone have any suggestions as to other places I can check out for a good deal on a new DirecTV system? I am checking with 2 local little shops but neither have gotten back to me with a quote yet.

Thanks,

-J

2. Karl Foster

Karl Foster Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    I have purchased Directv equipment from:

www.orbitsat.com
    www.mini-dishes.com

Both were quick to ship and had good deals as far as I could tell. I would recommend either.

3. raj2001

raj2001 Icon/Supporter

Nov 2, 2002
    You may also want to check out www.americansatellite.com since they're a sponsor for the Survivor: Amazon contest. Tell them you're a member of DBSTalk.com and you heard about them on DBSTalk.com. Who knows, they may do something nice for you.

But even if they don't do something nice for you, if you buy from them it would probably encourage them to support the site even more.

4. papillo-j

papillo-j Mentor

Feb 20, 2003
    Well I bit the bullet and bought from Orbitsat. They had some great deals for new subscribers and I just could not say no. I wish that I could have bought the warranty but it was just too much.

So far (I have only ordered it last night) the only thing that I don't like about the deal is the installation that came with the package. I bought a package with 2 receivers but the included installation is for only one receiver.

My dish will be one of the oval jobbies with the 4 integrated outputs. When it is installed I will likely pay the installer to run all four outputs into the house. I think that only the first 2 are included in the cost and I need at least three to run the TiVo and the other receiver. The fourth is just for the future.

Take care,

-J

P.S.
    Thank you very much to everyone (especially you Karl) who helped me out with this. I priced out satellite-store.com, orbitsat.com, www.mini-dishes.com, and www.americansatellite.com before making my decision.

5. Karl Foster

Karl Foster Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    If you feel confident in your abilities, have the installer install one and you can hook up the rest. It really isn't that hard to do, especially if the installer is chaging what you feel is too much. You can buy RG-6 cable and connectors at Home Depot. You might want to price some of that before the installer arrives so you can guage what he will charge vs. what it costs to do it yourself. When I bought my system, I bought it without installation and did the installation myself, but as a former aircraft electrician, I was comfortable climbing around and running wire. YMMV.

Good luck. You'll love the PVR.

6. papillo-j

papillo-j Mentor

Feb 20, 2003
    I was considering doing it myslef but the package discount was only 50 dollars if you did a self install. For 50 bucks, I will just let them do it.

Besides, they are going to have to seal the hole where the wires enter the house. I would prefer not to have them seal it for 2 wires and me unseal it for 2 more.

Will let you know how it goes. I am hoping to keep the wiring I already have, that should make it much less expensive.

-J

7. papillo-j

papillo-j Mentor

Feb 20, 2003
    Just got the system installed today. I was VERY impressed with my installer. I was nervious going with an installer sent to me by one of these big .com outfits (Orbitsat.com) figuring that they were the lowest bigger and all. I got even more nervious when I found out that this guy drove well over an hour from his home base to do the install.

Well, my fears were not well founded. This fellow was great. He was personable, professional, knew his stuff, and had a very strong attention to detail. Making the job look neat and inconspicious were very important to him, he even selected a site for the dish that was much more difficult to work with than what I had in mind but was a much better choice.

To top it all off, he ran white wire instead of black so it would blend in better with my house. Then he hid the wire for as much of the run as was possible. After seeing him work, I am glad that I had it done. They say that you will never get as good a job as if you do it yourself.... well in this case, my desire for perfection was not as good as this guys skill and experience.

Take care all,

-J

8. papillo-j

papillo-j Mentor

Feb 20, 2003
    Just to do right by Orbitsat......

Lots of people bust of them as bad customer service. My new
    HDVR2 unit was not working properly right out of the box. DirecTV worked with me on it and concluded that it was a flaky
    modem. I contacted Orbitsat and they got me a new unit that is working fine.

I don't know what experiences people are having that makes them have such a bad impression of this outfit, my experience was very good.

Take care,

-J

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.