1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Combine/Replace account questions

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by Davenlr, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    I am going to combine/replace my account (under contract) with my parents (no contract).
    In other words, since I have lifetime DVR service, and am under contract, and have new equipment, we decided to cancel their account, and move mine to their address.

We will be replacing their leased HR20 with my owned HR24, their leased HR21 with my leased Genie. We will then be adding their two owned receivers (one H21 and one H24) to my account.

My question is, will I need to order two new access cards for their owned boxes before I can add them to my account, and will I need to deactivate them from their account before I can order the cards?

2. wahooq

wahooq DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Oct 19, 2011
    Tulsa, OK
    yes and yes

3. wahooq

wahooq DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Oct 19, 2011
    Tulsa, OK
    and you can only absorb their receivers if they are owned

4. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Their two receivers are owned boxes. Their DVRs are not (and will be returned if D* wants them).

5. gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    {I am imagining about 3 CSRs running out of the DirecTV building screaming and rending their garments before you get all that straightened out}

:lol:

6. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    No, I wouldnt confuse the CSR that way. Ill do each step as a separate phone call.
    1: Cancel their account and order two return kits.
    2: Order new access cards for their two receivers (tell card dept I bought them)
    3: Physically move my boxes to their house and call to have address changed at D*
    4: Add parents to my account and switch autopay credit card from mine to theirs
    5: Activate boxes on my account when cards arrive.

Ill enjoy them having faster equipment and not griping at me weekly about how its getting slower, and having to go over and reboot boxes at their house. Ill enjoy my Tivo XL4 and Tivo Premier on Xfinity at home, and not having to pay two tv bills each month anymore, and getting all the Cards games included in my base package without having to buy both the sports pak and extra innings :)

7. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    1) I wonder if DirecTV would charge for two unreturned units?

8. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Why would they? We will be returning my parents leased dinosaurs.

9. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    Your #5 above implied that you;'d activate the receivers on your account. I guess you confused me as to which receivers are to be returned?

10. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    He's closing his parent's account and moving his account to his parent's house. Since his account has lifetime DVR service and his parent's account doesn't, this will save $10 per month off of the bill.

11. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    My parents have two owned boxes on their account now, that they want to keep activated on my account. That will require getting new access cards, and reactivating them on my account when the cards arrive. Confusing, I know.

12. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    I understand now, but, what's with the need for the recovery boxes?
    I guess that was what confused me.

13. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    His parents currently have two leased boxes and two owned boxes. The leased boxes will need to be returned when they move to their son's account. The leased boxes will be replaced, at their home, by their son's owned HR-24 and his leased Genie.

equipment currently on parent's account

Leased HR-20 ----> Return to DirecTV (need recovery box)
    Leased HR-21 ----> Return to DirecTV (need recovery box)
    Owned H-21 -----> transfer to Davenlr's account
    Owned H-24 -----> transfer to Davenlr's account

equipment currently on Davenlr's account

Owned HR-24 ----> move to parent's house
    Leased HR-34 ----> move to parent's house

change address of Davenlr's account to parent's address
    change payment of Davenlr's account to parent's credit card