1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Combiner/Splitter Question

Discussion in 'DISH™ OTA Support and Discussion Forum' started by Gremraf, Apr 22, 2008.

1. Gremraf

Gremraf AllStar

Jun 30, 2006
    I have a combiner that takes my OTA signal and a modulated TV2 output from my VIP 722 unit. Each one gives a perfect signal when sent to the TV direct. When combined the Sat picture is wavy, but the OTA pic is still great. Do I need a better combiner, or a filter. Will see what combiner I have as soon as I can get back in the attic.

2. garys

garys Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2005
    The type of signal may not be set right on your receiver, should be set to analog or there may be interference on the channel your sat signal is assigned to, you might try a different channel number.

3. Gremraf

Gremraf AllStar

Jun 30, 2006
    Have tried all the open channels, and so did a dish tech. He thinks I need a new combiner, but hate to just keep buying them till I find one. So any recommendations on a quality unit would be great.

4. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Chances are that the device is not a splitter. Maybe it is a separator or a diplexer.

This could also indicate and problem with grounding of your antenna.

Is this OTA signal really from an antenna, or are you trying to fold in a CATV signal?

[strike]Did you try modulating the TV2 output to substantially different channels?[/strike]

5. Gremraf

Gremraf AllStar

Jun 30, 2006
    Yes it is a true combiner/splitter has [in/out] on all 3 connectors. Comes from a OTA in attic. Have tried all open channels from 21 to 69.

Never been told to ground the antenna before. Sat is grounded to water pipe outside the house.

Went in the attic. unit is a "DC-2" splitter S1000 Mhz all port DC passice 3.7 DB

6. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    How about this - post a list of ALL (analog AND digital) RF channels actually in use in your area. Next, for this to work - you need to have a "hole" of 3 unused channels, preferably more, you put the modulated channel in the middle.

7. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Just as your dish and satellite cables should be grounded, so should your antenna boom and OTA cable. The specifications are in NEC 810.

8. garys

garys Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2005
    Description also applied to a duplexer, best to double check what the piece of equipment states.

9. oljim

oljim Godfather

Aug 6, 2002
    Why worry about a ground on an attic antenna.

10. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Because most modern houses have electrical wiring in the attic?

11. oljim

oljim Godfather

Aug 6, 2002
    I have electrictal wiring in my bedroom but do not ground my bed

12. Gremraf

Gremraf AllStar

Jun 30, 2006
    I have several diplexers laying around so I know the difference between splitter/combiner and diplexers. I will look into grounding the antenna.
    Have not had time to get a complete list of channels available yet.

13. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Is it an electric bed?

14. fredinva

fredinva Legend

May 10, 2006
    grounding antenna prolly won't help.

replace the splitter

fred

15. Gremraf

Gremraf AllStar

Jun 30, 2006
    so recommendations on a quality splitter please

16. Gremraf

Gremraf AllStar

Jun 30, 2006
    So nobody has a splitter/combiner that they like, or install on a regular basis

17. slowmo

slowmo Legend

Sep 22, 2006
    You might need a low-pass filter to block off a range of channels in which your modulated TV2 channel(s) can be inserted.

I'm in the process of trying to work this out as well. I have great TV2 reception until I combine my OTA signal (either via a Super Home Node or just a quality splitter).

I found a discussion in avsforum on the super home node for which a poster subsequently added a Channel Plus Low-Pass Filter (LPF-750) which blocked OTA channels 65-69 for use of the modulated TV2 signal(s). Absent the filter, I think you will have too much interference no matter how much you play around with different channel settings for your TV2 modulation.

18. Gremraf

Gremraf AllStar

Jun 30, 2006
    Cool,

Let me know if that does it.

19. bnewt

bnewt Godfather

Oct 2, 2003
    I can't remember the name of the unit that I used. It was similar to the super home node mentioned above. It combines my ota & modulated signal from tv2 of my 625 & feeds 5 tv's. Each tv can watch the ota stations or the satellite programming. Works great. There are 2 different versions. One to feed up to 4 individual tv's or the one I used, feeds up to 8 tv's.

20. Gremraf

Gremraf AllStar

Jun 30, 2006
    Is the Channel plus cpnf-469, the filter your talking about.

I have no channels in the 14 to 19 range, and only one in the 64-70 range and don't watch it, so does anyone see why this would not work.