1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Combining 3 Modulated Channels

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by TON, Aug 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TON

TON Mentor

Jan 8, 2004
    Have a question I know this group can answer. I'm trying to help a friend out who is getting a 942 and a 322 from E*. He wants to take the modulated TV2 output from the 942, and the TV1 and TV2 output from the 322 and combine them so he can use his house distribution system to get all three.

Any suggestions?

I've tried looking for signal combiners but they ususally don't have enough of a description where I trust them to work.

Thanks in advance

2. Bradtothebone

Bradtothebone Godfather

Aug 11, 2003
    I've used Channel Plus splitter/combiners with great success. Here is a link to Parts Express, but you may have a favorite place to buy. http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=180-712

If you are combining the three modulated channels with some OTA channels, you will want to do it downstream from any distribution amplifiers you might be using. Hope this helps.

Brad

3. UHF

UHF AllStar

Jan 10, 2005
    Combing adjacent channels together can be problematic as well unless you are using really good modulators. A channel or two spacing is probably sufficient.

4. rcbridge

rcbridge Godfather

Oct 31, 2002
    Short answer yes, since the 942 and the 322 (tv2) are agile tuners any quality splitter/combiner will work. As mentioned above set the modulated channels as far apart as you can. The one from the 322 tv1 will be channel 3 or 4.

5. alebowgm

alebowgm Hall Of Fame

Jun 12, 2004
    What modulator are you going to use?

6. TON

TON Mentor

Jan 8, 2004
    Thanks for all the help so far.

I'm just going to use the modulators built into the 322/942. ie

Output Channel
    942TV2 25
    322TV1 4
    322TV2 60

Will a high quailty splitter work or does it have to be a special splitter combiner?

Thanks again

7. Nightlife1970

Nightlife1970 Legend

Aug 10, 2005
    A basic splitter will do that fine

8. kb7oeb

kb7oeb Icon

Jun 16, 2004
    I use a 4 way splitter to combine 3 modulators and OTA, works great. I found lower channels work better, if you combine with ota make sure you don't try and use a digital channel. I did that once and thought the modulator was bad.

9. UHF

UHF AllStar

Jan 10, 2005
    LOL, I did that once too! It worked great for a couple of weeks, then every night it would stop working at 5pm and start working again at midnight. After a few days I realized that the local NBC station was turning on their HD xmitter on "my" channel during prime time!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.