1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

combining discounts

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by robl45, Mar 26, 2012.

1. robl45

robl45 Legend

Aug 5, 2004
    can I combine the refer a friend discount with AAA discount? I have searched and seen some people say yes, others no. its a pretty easy decision to take a chance if I can combine both, but if not, still might not be a bad deal, just would like to save as much as possible before I make a 2 year deal with the devil :)

2. boatlover

boatlover Cool Member

Feb 9, 2006
    It can be done. Place the order with the AAA phone #. Wait a day and call referral # and tell them you forgot to add referral. Have your info ready.

Worked for me.

3. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    While that might work, don't count on it working 100% of the time. Most CSRs on the referral line will not add the referral discount on after the fact. That's why the AAA and Referral Program each have their own special number to call.

- Merg

4. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    If I were to have to choose one of the two, I'd probably choose the referral, at least depending on your relationship with the referer. And a deal with the devil wold be a two year contract with Time Warner, I didn't realize this, but their contracts auto renew :)

5. robl45

robl45 Legend

Aug 5, 2004
    so lets say it doesn't work, i could just cancel the install right?

6. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Right, you're not under contract until the install. I wouldn't wait until the truck is on his way, that's not nice :)

7. mitchinpa

mitchinpa Cool Member

Aug 28, 2007
    I was successful in stacking the two discounts earlier this month. Like the other posters have said, call AAA number first, then a day or two later, call the referral number.

8. Justin85

Justin85 Legend

Jun 16, 2010
    I got them both on the original call... was a couple years ago though.

9. jlobb2

jlobb2 New Member

Nov 24, 2011
    I received both discounts when I signed up a year ago. You need to call the AAA # first. Then notify them of the referral. I wouldnt wait a couple days, I would let them know while ordering.

10. robl45

robl45 Legend

Aug 5, 2004
    i'm not sure i understand, did you get the referral on the AAA # or did you call right after to the referral line?

11. boatlover

boatlover Cool Member

Feb 9, 2006
    Jumping back in. 3 months ago I called AAA first. Waited 2 days then call Refer #. No problems and got both discounts. Good Luck

12. mitchinpa

mitchinpa Cool Member

Aug 28, 2007
    That's exactly how I did it. As long as you do this BEFORE the installation date, it should be no problem.