1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Combining TV2 and OTA Antenna on same cable

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Stephen J, May 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stephen J

Stephen J Legend

Mar 26, 2006
    I have 1 cable going into my attic and then thru the ceiling into my bedroom for TV2. I really want to put an OTA in my attic for my VIP622 to use, however; I don't want to have to drill another hole in my siding to feed the cable into the attic. Can I use 2 splitters(one in the attic and one on the ground outside my house, where the TV2 cable exits the attic and makes its way to the VIP622) to have the 2 share the same cable, or will they interfere with each other since one has traffic going to TV 2, and one has traffic going from the antenna, to a different cable on the ground outside of my house, that will eventually go into the basement and then to the VIP622 in the living room, Thanks

2. gilunionhall

gilunionhall Legend

May 8, 2006
    hey stephen -

i am not sure what i did is the same as what you want to do or not - but anyway -

i used a diplexer to combine the dish signal and the OTA signal so i could use just a single rg6 run throught the existing house wiring and then another diplexer to split them before they go into the 622

maybe someone with more technical expertise will be able to answer your question.

also, you may want to repost your question on the "622 forum"

gil

3. Stephen J

Stephen J Legend

Mar 26, 2006
    OK thanks. BTW what is the difference between a splitter/combiner and a diplexer? Thanks.

4. gilunionhall

gilunionhall Legend

May 8, 2006
    i believe that the diplexer can combine a plain tv signal with a signal that contains current (ie from the dish)

once again - maybe someone with some technical expertise can help us out.

btw - radio shack sells the diplexers for about $13 -$15, if that is what you need.

gil

5. CABill

CABill Hall Of Fame

Mar 20, 2005
    A splitter/combiner puts the same frequencies (signal) on both "outputs". A diplexer has a "combined" connector and two individual frequency range connectors. If you want OTA or Cable signals, you would use a diplexer that splits the combined signal into a < 950 MHz connector (OTA/Cable/Tv/...) and a > 950 MHz connector (DBS signals). That type of diplexer will usually carry DC current between the combined and > 950 MHz connector only (but anything can be setup). The dual tuner separator is also a diplexer in that it splits the combined signal into < 1550 MHz and > 1550 MHz. Best not to call it a diplexer to avoid confusion with the "usual" use for DBS.

6. nismo

nismo AllStar

Jul 20, 2006
    Although it is possible to cut into your coax in the attic to send the signal down to the basement, I would not recommend this since you would be locating a splitter in the attic and basement (contributing to a loss of -7 DB with the two splitters alone, plus additional loss from the splitter in the basement to your 622. If TV2 was diplexed back down from the 622 to the basement, you would have to install an additional splitter (basement and at 622) to combine the OTA signal contributing to an additional -7dB loss PLUS the entire cable run.

Another problem you'll face is the fact that you'd be broadcasting TV2's signal (i.e. channel 73). You may also experience interference (snow from OTA signals) on TV2. With these factors in mind, I'd be suprised if it would actually work without issues.

If you can fish a line down to the basement, that would be your best bet. You might even want to try a preamp to boost the signal in the attic to counter the signal loss to the basement.

Goog luck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.