1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Combo Setup SWM/Regular Multiswitch

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Crypter, Jan 13, 2009.

1. Crypter

Crypter Godfather

Jun 21, 2007
    This is my current setup...

I have a 5 LNB Dish with 4 CAT6 Coax feeds going into a WB6x16 Multiswitch.

I have

1 HR20-100
    2 HR21-100 /w 1x AM21
    1 HR22-100 /w 1x AM21
    2 H20

Now, I do not currently get locals in HD from DTV so my problem is as follows:

I have a nice OTA Antenna setup in my attic now running into my utility room where my Multiswitch is and where all the feeds running throughout the house meet. My problem is I cannot get a 3rd Coax to all the rooms necessary to feed my OTA signal into. One of my HR21's and my HR22 are currently using my OTA through an extra Coax feed I had for this room already and so I simply split the feed in that room to feed those 2 receivers since they are sitting on top of each other.

I would like to see if I could use a SWM for the other 2 DVR's so that I can use the second COAX feed for the OTA signal. Do i need to go to an ALL SWM system or can I use the extra outputs I have from my WB6x16 and connect those into a SWM? Not sure how all this works.

Of course IF/WHEN DTV decides to give us our HD Locals this will be a moot point. But I want a solution that will not require me to run any more cables.

Ohh I also have a HUMAX LCD (with built-in DTV tuner) in the kitchen. I am not sure this thing is compatible with SWM.

2. z28lt1

z28lt1 Legend

Aug 28, 2007
    Yes, you can use your SWM with your other multiswitch. You can either run the 4 lines from the multi switch to the SWM as you noted, or you can split the 4 incoming lines with power passing splitter to go into the SWM and the other mutliswitch. That will give you additonal outputs should you need them.

Also, the SWM has an input for off air, and you can use a diplexer with it to get the off air to the receivers that are using the SWM.

3. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    With the SWM-8 you have three legacy outputs so the Humax isn't out in the cold.

Legacy devices don't get the OTA feed, but since the Humax OTA tuner is analog only, it probably doesn't matter.

4. Crypter

Crypter Godfather

Jun 21, 2007
    Hmmm.... so you mean technically with 2 Coax runs I could run 4 tuners (2 DVR's) each with an OTA feed for the AM21/HR20?

I did not know you could do this. Cool. But now I have more Coax feeds than i need... I have 5 going into my main media room currently. I use 4 for my DVR's and the other 1 for the OTA...

hmm I can feed 5 DVR's in that room now. :)

5. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    With one run of RG6 (not CAT6) and a 4-way splitter, you can feed all four satellite tuners. You could then use a remaining cable to carry a split feed from the antenna. Given insertion loss issues, I would recommend that you not use the OTA input on the SWM-8 and instead split the antenna to your DVRs and diplex to the H20s only if you don't already have a second cable to them. Be prepared to experiment with a distribution amplifier for OTA.

Because you have 11 tuners, you could feed the SWM outputs to the DVRs and the legacy outputs to the Humax and H20s and be done with it. The BBCs would still need to be used on the H20s upstream of the OTA diplexers (if you diplex).

6. Crypter

Crypter Godfather

Jun 21, 2007

That is good news. Yea the Humax is an SD tv only anyhow and I get my SD locals from DTV so no big deal there. My wife uses this TV mainly while she is cooking.

7. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Remember that SWM is currently limited to 8 SWM compatible tuners.

8. Crypter

Crypter Godfather

Jun 21, 2007
    That sounds reasonable. Yea I meant to type RG6 Earlier but I have been dealing with Network (Data) Cables recently and CAT6 was the term that was fresh in my head. My mistake. :)

I already have my Antenna Running into a Power Splitter and I have 4 feeds coming out from there. I could use the outputs from the splitter and diplex them with the SWM runs but I really do not need to do that.

For the room where I have the 4 legacy feeds currently I do not need to do anything as those are already being serviced the way I want them. I have 2 RG6 feeds for each HR and an extra RG6 feed feeding the OTA tuner in each receiver.

Now, for the other 2 DVR's I will use a SWM to feed the 2 SAT tuners in each and use the other RG6 feed to each receiver for the OTA signal to each of those. For my H20's I will need to diplex the OTA since I only have 1 RG6 feed to each of those. However I think this covers about all 4 of my outputs form my Splitter...

I am currently getting 85% signal strength or better on all of my OTA channels so I will have to monitor the signal strength once I finish setting everything up. Is SolidSignal the best place to get the SWM?

9. Crypter

Crypter Godfather

Jun 21, 2007

yea I was just messing around. I have no need for more than the 2 Hr's I already have in that room. :)

10. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Nope. There are no Ka-lo signals coming out of the legacy ports, so there is no need for BBCs to be used/connected.
    The H20 off a legacy port will only receive signals above 950 MHz.

11. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Oopsie! Thanks for the correction. I was trying to get rid of any legacy switchgear and got a little overzealous.

12. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    :lol:
    [I kind of think they shot themselves in the foot by not having the legacy ports pass Ka-lo, yet don't pass OTA either, and since they do pass Ka-hi].

13. davel

davel Godfather

May 1, 2007
    Before adding the old multiswitch, I would see if the 8 tuner limit is a hard or soft limit.

I would try hooking the SWM up, OTA into the SWM, split the SWM feed to the PS into one eight block SWS8WB-P and hook up all of the h receivers to that.

This way you need one line per box and right before it enters diplex the line into the OTA and SWM lines.

I noticed a substancial boost of my OTA power when I ran it to the SWM.

Channels that were very pixelly on my hr-20 hooked directly to the OTA and power invertor were great after the SWM addition.

All three hr-20's (with more cable distance from the OTA) now get great OTA reception.

I would get it off ebay. Cheaper, and I had no problems with mine.

14. Crypter

Crypter Godfather

Jun 21, 2007
    Ok now I am confused...

Someone please explain to me the best way to setup my system given the equipment and wiring I already have in place.

15. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    SWM 8 is a hard limit with gnarled edges. They might look soft, but they will mess you up. Stick with 8 or fewer tuners.

Running switches in parallel works very well, and gives you freedom for many possibilities.

BTW, 5 coax into a room gives you the ability to run all the tuners you could want (run parallel switches in the room if you want) plus an OTA or cable stream. (Now, if you need both OTA and cable in that room, you'll need another coax.) :)

Peace,
    Tom

16. Crypter

Crypter Godfather

Jun 21, 2007
    Well that is just 1 room. I only have 2 HR's in that room and that is all I really want in that room. ( I have 5 RG6 feeds in here, I can get my OTA Hd Locals in this room, this is the only place currently where I can get my OTA HD Locals).

Then in 2 other rooms I have single HR's I have 2 RG6 feeds in each of those rooms (currrently cannot get OTA in those rooms).

That's 3 rooms and 4 HR's..

Then in another room and a den I have an H20 I have 1 RG6 Feed to each of those rooms. (Currently cannot get OTA in those rooms)

17. Tom Robertson

Nov 15, 2005
    The 2 rooms with only dual coax and the 2 other rooms with only single coax, you could fit all those tuners on a SWM8 and run OTA down the SWM lines.

And leave the room with 2 DVRs (with 5 coax and everything already works) on the wb616.

(You could even put DVRs in those two rooms that have H20s.) :)

Hope this helps,
    Tom

18. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    didn't see it mentioned, but the caveat is running ota isn't officially supported.

with that being said I, and MANY others, am running three (maybe fourth soon) hr21-100 with diplexed ota with no issues. the swm-8 really is a sweet unit.

19. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    So let's see if I can map something out off the top of my head.

4 cables from the dish into the WB68.
    4 cables from that to the SWM8 and that leaves you 4 ports open for legacy equipment. This is exactly how I have my system setup.
    Just keep OTA out of this setup and run your OTA cable to the same location but don't plug it into any DirecTV switches. Then use a high quality 4 way splitter on the OTA cable.

For your two rooms with one HR each and two cables run one SWM line out of the SWM8 and split it (can use a regular splitter) and connect to one line to each room. This will run both HRs in dual tuner mode. Connect the other two cables (one each room) to your 4-way OTA splitter. This now gets you dual tuners *and* OTA in both those rooms.

For the home theater you have 5 cables. You have a couple choices.

1) Run another cable from the SWM out port (should be 2 on it, there is on my SWM5 anyway) and split it with a splitter, connect to two of those 5 cables, one each to the HRs. Then take another 2 and hook it to your final 2 spots on the OTA 4 way (or run a single cable and split it again to these 2, but the less splitters the better). This leaves you a free coax to use for something else (cable, another DVR, etc)

*OR*

2) you can just hook up the 4 cables to the 4 free ports on the WB68 as you do today and use the 5th for OTA and split it to the two HRs in the room.

I'd recommend 1 as it would give you more long term flexability.

For your 3rd room and Den just hook each cable up to either the legacy ports on the SWM or to the WB68. No OTA going there BUT if you use the WB68 ports you could diplex in OTA to those 2 runs.

I think you could actually do all this with just the SWM8 but since you have a WB68 switch already might as well use it to give you more options and flexability.

20. Tom Robertson

Nov 15, 2005
    The way I diplex is to split the SWM line one more time in the room and take one leg to the diplexor and one to the receiver. (If multiple receivers, you'll do the first split as N+1.) That way the diplexor is not in the path between SWM and receiver and works well.

I believe, but distrust, there are some diplexors that can do SWM correctly. Since I haven't seen the real data, I don't recommend that approach.

Cheers,
    Tom