1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

COMCAST BLACKS OUT TBS BRAVES GAMES

Discussion in 'Sports Programming and Events' started by miknis, May 25, 2003.

1. miknis

miknis New Member

Feb 8, 2003
    Ive noticed this past weekend, when I was trying to watch the Braves-Mets games on WTBS, my cable company (Comcast) has blacked these games out, I was always able to watch the Braves games, even if the Phillies were playing at the same time, I must admit, I was watching it to see the Mets, but does anyone know anything about this new Comcast Cable blackout of Braves games? I live in the Philadelphia area, and I'm really PISSED!!!!

2. Msguy

Msguy Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2003
    Do you have the MLB Extra Innings package on Comcast Digital Cable? If you do they might have shown the game on the New York Regional Sports Channel where Mets games are broadcast. They are on either MSG Network, Fox Sports Net New York, or on WB 11 which you would only be able to see if you lived in New York. This is strange that they would Black Out TBS because that channel is supposed to be National. I have Direc TV and I am in the Braves Home Market for Broadcasts. I Will receive every Braves game on TBS, Turner South, Or on Wednsday Nights Fox Sports Net South. I would not however be able to receive the New York Television Feed of the game because of this. Only Atlanta's Feed.

3. DCSholtis

DCSholtis Up The Irons!

Aug 7, 2002
    All Mets Saturday and Sunday games are on WB11 not on an RSN.

4. Msguy

Msguy Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2003
    This is true. WB 11 Is not a Regional sports network. The only way you'd be able to see a game broadcasted on this channel would be if you lived in New York. Most Mets Games through the week are on either Fox Sports Net New York, or MSG Network.

5. Pete K.

Pete K. Icon

Apr 23, 2002
    If you are an E* Superstation subscriber
    you can watch the Mets on WB 11 anywhere
    in the country. I've never seen a Mets
    game blacked out, even when they play
    the Braves and I live a one hour drive
    from Turner Field.
    It is strange that TBS would be blacked out
    in Philly.

6. Greg Bimson

Greg Bimson Hall Of Fame

May 5, 2003
    This happened to me here in Baltimore.

Because I live within the protected range of the Orioles, DirecTV was forced to blackout the game when the Braves played at Oriole Park.

It is the only time a superstation blackout works. If you live within some distance (I believe it is 35 miles) from the park, and a superstation will be televising a game, the superstation can be blacked out.

Hence, the Phillies are blacked out on TBS only when

a) the Braves are playing at the Phillies
    b) you live within the 35 mile radius
    c) the Phillies request the blackout

7. jrbdmb

jrbdmb Icon

Sep 5, 2002
    And of course they request the backout since the local Philly RSN (Comcast Sportsnet) is not available on satellite and Comcast wants you to get their cable service to watch the Phillies. Phooey.

8. miknis

miknis New Member

Feb 8, 2003
    Now I found out, the Braves were playing the Mets on this particular occasion, the Superstation (TBS) use to black out if the Braves were playing any team that was within a 90 mile radius or less, I use to get the Braves-Mets, because I live in the Philly area. As of a few weeks ago the blackout mileage was extended to 100 miles, thus that extra 10 miles, is now my source of aggravation, because I follow the Mets, and the games that are not on my MLBEI

9. shy007

shy007 Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 11, 2003
    My closest team is the Braves (220 miles)...... I guess I don't have that problem.....

Go Braves!!!!!!!!

10. Jacob S

Jacob S Hall Of Fame

Apr 14, 2002
    Braves are my favorite team as well. They have done very well the last several years. They seem to be the league leader quite often.

11. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Hard to believe that the Braves have had a longer run than the Big Red Machine of years gone by.