1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Comcast Doubles Internet speeds

Discussion in 'The OT' started by la24philly, Aug 1, 2012.

1. Aug 1, 2012 #1 of 28
    la24philly

la24philly Hall Of Fame

Mar 8, 2010
    Not sure how many of you have comcast as your internet ISP, but I got a notice last night.

They doubled my speed. I was on the blast Tier.

my new speeds are 50 dn 10 up.

2. Aug 1, 2012 #2 of 28
    phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Didn't get any notice, didn't get any speed boost:

[​IMG]

3. Aug 1, 2012 #3 of 28
    la24philly

la24philly Hall Of Fame

Mar 8, 2010
    that sucks, i hope it is for all comcast internet markets.

I believe they did it here in Philadelphia to compete what Fios did.

Fios just started there quantum service with speeds as high as 300dn 65 up.

I would call to see if you are entitled to the new upgrade.

Also about 3 months ago, I had them come out and they had to give me a new router and they installed a new wire from the pole outside. the line I had was shorting out, i had it for 14 years so it was time for all new equipment and wires.

4. Aug 1, 2012 #4 of 28
    jford951

jford951 Godfather

Oct 6, 2008
    So far the the speed increase is only for the northeast

5. Aug 1, 2012 #5 of 28
    la24philly

la24philly Hall Of Fame

Mar 8, 2010
    ok, i wasn't sure.

all the radio stations, been putting commericals about the new speeds.

I got 2 outlook emails about it.

I hope it eventually makes it's way to all comcast areas.

6. Aug 1, 2012 #6 of 28
    jford951

jford951 Godfather

Oct 6, 2008
    Yea I hope it make it here also. The blast tier went to 50/10 and the 50 tier went to 105/20

7. Aug 1, 2012 #7 of 28
    la24philly

la24philly Hall Of Fame

Mar 8, 2010
    i noticed a few times my dn load speeds were below 50.

last night one test was at 47 and today a few times at 38,

whats interesting is the up speed has been 11 or higher last night it was as high as 14.

so thats a bit weird.

not sure if my wires or pc could cause less bandwidth.

i have a win 7 emachine AMD 2.0 ghz 4.0 gb ram works well, im getting a new pc in the fall.

but I dont think my pc would cause the speeds to be slower.

if it keeps up i will call comcast for credit.

8. Aug 1, 2012 #8 of 28
    dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I'm it sure you really can get a credit. I certainly don't think you can for getting 47. You're not being guaranteed to get 50.

9. Aug 1, 2012 #9 of 28
    Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Very odd: After reading this thread, I tested my connection via Chrome. Abysmal. I mean really awful; under 2 Mbs!- Yes, a download speed. Upload was faster. So I tested with Safari, and it was much faster though substandard. Then back to Chrome. Again, awful, and again, via Safari, ca. 9 Mbs, whereas I should be over 20.

What might cause different results in virtually the same timeframe using two browsers?

10. boukengreen

boukengreen Legend

Sep 22, 2009
    i only get 1.5mb down on a good day don't complain lol

11. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    It really shouldn't matter noticeably between browsers. What are you using to test? speedtest.net? Are both browsers doing the speed test from the same test server? Most test apps allow you to change the location of the server they are testing (downloading) from.

12. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    If you're using a java based test then your browser could have issues with the java applet not recognizing something.

However I would test each browser 5 times in a row. The problem with speed tests is that they can vary significantly from one test to the next without changing anything.

13. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    It really shouldn't matter noticeably between browsers. What are you using to test? speedtest.net? Are both browsers doing the speed test from the same test server? Most speedtest apps or wesites allow you to change the location of the server they are testing (downloading) from. You could be testing from NY on one and CA on anther.

14. wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    Verizon FIOS should pay attention. They're running about 50% of the speed/cost ratio that Comcast is running here in Philly. I've been a loyal FIOS customer since they started, but their refusal to deal or meet Comcast prices makes me start to think of switching.

Example - I pay $63/month for FIOS's 20/20 service. FIOS wanted $89/month for 50/25. Uh - no thanks.

15. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Still 20/5 here.

16. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    I'm going through the same thing now myself. My 20/5 ($44/mo!) is ending in a week. Not sure what they are going to do to me when it does (can't get a straight answer from their CS so I'm just waiting). If a take a VZ triple-play I can get 75/whatever + fully loaded TV for $25 more than I am paying for DirecTV alone now for 2 years.

Problem here is Comcast's infrastructure is so old that there are always problems. It goes back to ATT@Home from 20(?) years ago. When I last had Comcast internet ~3 years ago my 3rd party VOIP service was horrendous and they couldn't do anything about it. When I switched to VZ it immediately became perfect. If VZ jumps my internet from $44 to $80 I don't know what I'll do. My only choice may be to leave DirecTV for Fios TP (and I don't even need or want their phone service).

17. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Give Cablevision a call. I've finally got my Net system straightened out and the service has been very good. Not the tech service from CV, just the service itself. Don't know how much you want to spend, but I'm sure they have plans in your price range.

The problem with CV is that all they do on a service call is check to see if their server in NYC is sending the correct speed to your modem and to your computer, which they insist on hooking up directly to your modem. Still don't know what that proves, but that's all they care about. So, it becomes "you gotta problem past the modem, you fix it" as I was so nicely told. Turns out they were right and I fixed the issues I was having.

Rich

18. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    OK, color me stupid, but really, what residential customer needs that kind of speed? I ran the IT department (of 1) for a team of 50 people with an up/down of 2Mbps (yes, two) in the second half of the last decade with no complaints.

I bounced to a 24/3 connection @ home recently and while it's marginally better than my 12/1 link prior, we're talking about seconds saved over 30 days. I'm sure it's taken me more time to talk about it here than what I've saved over the last month. I only bumped to the higher package because my discounts fell off and it was only slightly more expensive to go slightly faster. If I were forced for some reason to go back to the slower speed, I certainly wouldn't cringe. Both are fast and both are substantially lower than than the 300/65 Quantum service.

19. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    I would rather that they drop of the cost of the current packages as opposed to increasing my speed. I have the Comcast Performance package, which is 20/5, and with that and phone, the cost is almost as high as TP would be with Verizon FIOS. I'd like to see a significant drop in my monthly cost before my speed is increased.

- Merg

20. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    If you know, what does a home with multiple devices really need in terms of speed up and down? Right now, I'm getting 56 down and 10 up. I know I don't need anymore than that and probably don't need nearly that much, but I've never seen a clear answer to my question. I've seen many posts about what speeds folks get, but not really what's required.

Rich