1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Comcast in talks to take NBC Universal off of GE's hands

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Chandu, Sep 30, 2009.

1. Chandu

Chandu Hall Of Fame

Oct 2, 2005
    Not sure of the best subforum place to post this in. I recall there used to be a category for stuff like this under this, but don't find it anymore : http://www.dbstalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5

Anyway:

Exclusive: Comcast in Talks to Buy NBC-Universal from General Electric

If this story has wheels, surely it would raise lots of eyebrows. It could give Comcast undue advantage over competitors about how to exploit various content owned by NBC Universal.

2. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Remember, Comcast tried to buy Disney a couple years ago, so this story/rumor could have some truth to it.

3. rebkell

rebkell Godfather

Sep 9, 2006
    I don't doubt it at all, whether it comes to pass only time will tell, but I'm sure Comcast will make the deal if they can. They have wanted to be in the provider business for a long time and this would be right up their alley and quite possibly be a bad thing for us the consumer. I could see more battles being waged between Comcast and Directv and other providers, but especially with Directv, since the Versus ordeal, I could see them demanding a large premium for such stations as USA, Syfy, NBC, etc....

4. Oct 1, 2009 #4 of 78
    Chandu

Chandu Hall Of Fame

Oct 2, 2005
    They already are. What with all the Comcast Sportsnet(s), Versus, Golf Channel, I'm sure I'm forgetting something else.

But yes, adding NBC Universal to all that would be a leap of astronomical proportions. The only question is, would a carrier be allowed control of OTA NBC channels all over the country like that? It smells fishy and maybe FCC has regulations preventing that. I'll need to poke around and research bit more on that.

Assuming Comcast would be prevented from taking over broadcast NBC stations, it may force a breakup of NBC Universal into OTA stations and the rest (CNBC, MSNBC, Bravo, USA, Telemundo, Syfy, ...).

Absolutely, couldn't agree more. :(

Media (content and carrier) industry is ripe for consolidation, just like the software industry. But it will only be bad for the end-user customers.

5. Oct 1, 2009 #5 of 78
    Chandu

Chandu Hall Of Fame

Oct 2, 2005
    I believe as of today E!, Style Network and G4 are also wholly owned by Comcast.

6. Oct 1, 2009 #6 of 78
    hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Personally, seeing how Comcast does business and runs their operations...I pray this never happens. :eek2:

7. Oct 1, 2009 #7 of 78
    fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    Could not agree more.

8. Oct 1, 2009 #8 of 78
    Lee L

Lee L Hall Of Fame

Aug 15, 2002
    With all teh restrictions on media ownership already, it is surprising that this is not prohibited. Maybe they should prohibit a multichannel provider from owning any content.

9. Oct 1, 2009 #9 of 78
    LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
  10. lwilli201

lwilli201 Hall Of Fame

Dec 22, 2006
    Missouri
    Comcast has not denied that they have been talking to NBCU which indicate at least some interest in acquiring them. I agree this would be bad for Directv if it were to happen. Comcast is testing their power with their demands for higher carrage cost for Versus.

I wonder how much Comcast would lose if Directv dropped all the channels they control.

11. ajc68

ajc68 Icon

Jan 23, 2008
    Comcast issued a terse statement Wednesday night after online entertainment blog The Wrap.com reported that the Philadelphia-based MSO was close to inking a $35 billion deal to purchase all of NBCU, including the broadcast network, the Universal movie studio and cable channels USA Network, SyFy and Bravo. According to TheWrap.com, bankers for both Comcast and NBCU met in New York Tuesday to hammer out details.

http://www.multichannel.com/article/356145-Comcast_Stock_Drops_Amidst_NBCU_Takeover_Rumors.php

Yikes! If Comcast pulls off this deal it could be the end of the following channels on satellite when the contracts expire:

NBC Universal
    USA Network
    SyFy
    Bravo

Comcast properties already missing on satellite:

Versus (on Directv)
    CSN NW
    CSN Philly

12. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Oh no!
    [​IMG]

13. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    Wonder if they'd change the name of the show from 30 Rock to 30 Suck...:D

14. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    David Faber on CNBC is also saying that they're in talks.

15. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I think that even if a deal were reached today, we're easily a year away with all the regulatory hurdles.

16. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    Absolutely correct....this would be very carefully scruitinized for competitive reasons...and likely a number of stipulations placed on the buyer if it were to go through.

17. Santi360HD

Santi360HD Icon

Oct 6, 2008
    New York City
    If they buy it...will they HD it?...oh cr*p!

we have to wait for a Satellite Rocket launch for more bandwidth capacity for HD..so whatever happens here wont happen immediate on DirecTV..

bah whatever..

18. Justin23

Justin23 Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008

I believe the reason that CSN Philly is not on DIRECTV is the way the channel is delivered. Since its not uplinked to a satellite, Comcast does not have to make that available to other providers. FiOS just recently got CSN Philly which was a surprise since Comcast cable had a lock on that channel in the Philly area.

J

19. Zellio

Zellio Icon

Mar 8, 2009
    It won't happen when the statellite launches. Malone will put up tons of HDPPV and take off the comcast channels, after Comcast buys NBC.

20. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Again, you're so right...:rolleyes:

I doubt this will affect D12 or NBC's channels.