1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Comcast Internet Bandwidth Cap

Discussion in 'Cable TV Discussion' started by Nick, Mar 21, 2011.

1. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Comcast Internet - Acceptable Use Policy (AUP)

Comcast has established an 'acceptable use' policy (AUP), more aptly called an 'excessive use' policy, with regard to its customers' monthly Internet bandwidth usage. As of October 1, 2008, data usage above 250 Gigabytes ("GB") per month per Comcast High-Speed Internet residential customer account is considered excessive.

According to Comcast's AUP...

For high-definition, it works out to about 50 HD movies (per calendar month, at 5 GB/movie)

According to Comcast, the 250GB monthly data usage threshold is for all residential Comcast High-Speed Internet accounts and provides a clear definition of excessive use of the service.

What happens (or may happen) if you exceed Comcast's 250 GB bandwidth usage cap?

Disclaimer: The above, by no means, represents Comcast's acceptable use policy in full. To review Comcast's quite lengthy acceptable use policy, go to http://help.comcast.net/aup

(Any changes to Comcast's AUP with respect to the residential Internet usage cap will be posted in this thread.)

2. oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw HarpoonIPA

Jan 25, 2007
    Halifax, MA
    I've been streaming video with my Roku for 2 years now and 1 month I blasted through the TV show "LOST" all in HD, plus other Netflix streaming shows and to my amazement I only used up 59 gigs of the 250 allotment that month. Streaming sure saves you on gigs used

3. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    As the lone user on my 15-20 mbps Comcast Internet connection, I believe 250 GB will be more than adequate for my needs. As of today, March 22, of my 250GB allotment, I have used only 55GB, with 195GB remaining with nine days to go in the month. However, I acknowledge that families with multiple users and/or home office usage could easily exceed the 250GB cap. Such families may want to keep a close eye on their overall usage.

To track your Comcast bandwidth usage and view your recent monthly totals, go to www.comcast.com, log in, then click on "Users & Settings". You will see a simple bar graph labled 'High-Speed Internet Data Usage'. That is your cumulative usage for the month-to-date. For more details, click on the "View Details" link immediately below the graph, which will take you to your 'My Current Data Usage' page.

4. oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw HarpoonIPA

Jan 25, 2007
    Halifax, MA
    Same here, lone user.
    I like the fact we can see our usage