1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Comcast ISP blocking Directv

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by eileen22, Jan 2, 2013.

1. Jan 2, 2013 #1 of 24
    eileen22

eileen22 Godfather

Mar 24, 2006
    Philadelphia...
    Is anyone else having this problem? As of yesterday (Jan 1), I cannot access the DirecTV website from any device connected to my home wifi, which is a Comcast connection. I can access the site on my cell phone. I also can't launch the DTV iPad app. I found a post today on the Comcast forum from someone else with the same problem (website, they didn't mention iPad app). I will contact Comcast, but does anyone here with tech knowledge have a workaround that I can try? Thanks.

2. Jan 2, 2013 #2 of 24
    The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    I can connect to DirecTV.com here in Northern VA using Comcast as my provider.

- Merg

3. Jan 2, 2013 #3 of 24
    AMike

AMike Godfather

Nov 21, 2005
    I just tried to sign in to DirecTV.com via my Comcast business internet account and had no luck accessing the site.

EDIT: Just tried via my work VPN and it worked. Also just checked on my non-work computer and now it works. Weird.

4. Jan 2, 2013 #4 of 24
    eileen22

eileen22 Godfather

Mar 24, 2006
    Philadelphia...
    I just tried again, and now it works. The iPad app also now works. This is after 24 hours of it not working, and also after I posted on the Comcast forum and also reported it to DTV via Twitter. Saves me a frustrating call to Comcast tech support!

5. Jan 2, 2013 #5 of 24
    Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    It is possible a DNS related issue.

Do you use Comcast's DNS? Or a 3rd party like OpenDNS ?

6. Jan 2, 2013 #6 of 24
    Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2006
    A Galaxy...
    It's a dns issue as Earl mentioned. I too woke up this morning and couldn't access several sites. I then changed my dns settings in my souter to use googles dns name servers and wala, I was able to get access once again.

Sometimes, com"CRAP" just happens.....:grin:

7. Jan 2, 2013 #7 of 24
    eileen22

eileen22 Godfather

Mar 24, 2006
    Philadelphia...
    Again, I didn't change anything, and it now works. How would I have changed the DNS? I don't know how to do this, but I assume it would be in the router software?

8. Jan 2, 2013 #8 of 24
    dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    That's the best place, so that all systems on the network use Google. You would set DNS as static, to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

9. Jan 2, 2013 #9 of 24
    dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    Unless you want to change it permanately in your router, the simplest thing to do is go to the TCPIP (V4) properties of your network adapter and click 'Use this DNS' and enter 8.8.8.8 for Google or

208.67.222.222 or 208.67.220.220 for OpenDNS.

10. Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2006
    A Galaxy...
    All routers will have some sort of interface page like this to allow for changes. I use a D-Link, model and here are what the changes would be for use with the google DNS settings:

Attached Files:

11. alnielsen

alnielsen Godfather

Dec 31, 2006
    ...- .....
    Google already knows too much about my habits. I use Open DNS. The only time I use Google's dns is when I'm trying to troubleshoot a problem. It's easy to remember.

12. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    I have been using OpenDNS for about 3 years now.
    I never had the need, until Comcast's DNS Servers went down here in the Chicago area...

I knew what to do, so was not impacted for long.
    However, others... 3 DAYS!!!! before they had the DNS servers back up and running...

13. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    When I had Comcast, I always had Dns problems and used opendns.

14. billcoff

billcoff Mentor

Jul 26, 2007
    Glad to see I wasn't the only one who had this problem. I spent a lot of yesterday evening trying to figure out why I couldn't access the DTV website or use my iPad app. When I got up this morning, everything was fine.

15. Jimmy 440

Jimmy 440 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2007
    Monmouth...
    I have Comcast & have no problem connecting to D's website.

16. BlackDynamite

BlackDynamite Legend

Jun 5, 2007
    Wow I've been having problems with Directv services over my Comcast internet for a few days now. I've spoken to Comcast several times and even have a tech scheduled to come out on Saturday.

I initially noticed it when trying to stream vudu (not related to directv) but then noticed my directv on demand wasn't working right either.

Seems to be working now. Maybe they fixed it? I think I'll wait until Friday to cancel that tech.

17. nmetro

nmetro Godfather

Jul 11, 2006
    It works here as well.

For DNS with Comcast, use 75.75.75.75, 75.75.76.76 fro your DNS nameservers, these are universal DNS locations In the event your local Comcast DNS servers goes off line. The above addresses effectively are "logical pointers" to all the Comcast DNS servers. I have been using this set up for a couple years, without issues.

18. BearsFan

BearsFan Godfather

Apr 22, 2002
    Chicago Suburbs
    I posted a different thread, but wanted to chime in and say that changing DNS did not work for my particular issue. I changed it from OpenDNS to the aforementioned Comcast DNS, to Google DNS, and back again to Open DNS. No dice.

Loading the DirecTV website is painfully slow, and Live TV streaming to my iOS devices does not work at all. Or if it does, it takes 2 minutes to load & then it's unwatchable with all the pixelation and blocky movements. Can't make anything out.

I've contacted the @ComcastCares (heh…yeah, I'm *sure* they care) Twitter account as I've exhausted everything I've read here & know to try. It's been 24 hours now & Live TV streaming with iOS apps still doesn't work.

19. RunnerFL

RunnerFL DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 4, 2006
    Changing DNS has no effect on speed. If you're issue was a DNS issue DirecTV's website wouldn't load at all instead of "painfully slow".

20. BearsFan

BearsFan Godfather

Apr 22, 2002
    Chicago Suburbs
    Yup, you're right. I'm just trying everything & anything.

Not sure what to do now. I'll try again in the morning. No word from Comcast on Twitter as of yet.