1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Comcast Plans To Raise Subscriber Bandwidth Caps, Add Additional Data Options

Discussion in 'Cable TV Discussion' started by Athlon646464, May 18, 2012.

1. Athlon646464

Athlon646464 Gold Members DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    Comcast Plans To Raise Subscriber Bandwidth Caps, Add Additional Data Options

Excerpt:

"Comcast has fallen under fire recently for the way it handles its Xfinity app on the Xbox 360 console; basically, the company doesn't count the bandwidth against subscribers' monthly data cap. It sounds great for Comcast customers, but critics -- including Netflix's Reed Hastings -- say the practice is a violation of Net Neutrality. Perhaps to silence the screams for blood, Comcast announced today that it plans on increasing its data cap and trying out some new data management approaches."

Full Story Here

[​IMG]

2. oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw HarpoonIPA

Jan 25, 2007
    Halifax, MA
    I think NetFlix, scared the poop out of them when the XBOX360 could have unlimited bandwidth with the Xfinity app

3. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Clearly, some Comcast users push the current cap and it's good that they will have an upgrade path, but for the vast majority of us (Comcast asserts 99%), 250-300GB is more than sufficient. Personally, my bandwidth usage hasn't come close to 200GB/m, even after I got Roku/Netflix/Amazon for movies, and I watch a lot of movies.

4. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    I just checked my Roadrunner connection. I've been averaging about 130GB per month. I guess a cap like that wouldn't affect me either.

5. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    I ran across this today while checking my Comcast bill and usage:

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    What are the different plans you will be launching?
    Updated 9/5/2012 6:19:23 AM by Comcast Expert

Introduction

Frequently asked questions about excessive use of data.

What are the different plans you will be launching?

We'll be launching at least two approaches, and here is an overview:

In the Nashville market, we will increase our data usage allowance for all tiers to 300 GB per month and also offer additional gigabytes in increments/blocks (e.g., $10 per 50 GB).

In the Tucson market, we will increase our data usage allowance for XFINITY Internet customers subscribing to the Economy tier through the Performance tier from 250 GB to 300 GB. In addition, those customers subscribed to the Blast! tier will receive an increase to 350 GB, those subscribed to Extreme 50 will be increased to 450 GB, and those subscribed to Extreme 105 will be increased to 600 GB (see table below).

XFINITY Internet Package New Data Usage Allowance
    Economy 300 GB
    Economy Plus 300 GB
    Internet Essentials 300 GB
    Performance Starter 300 GB
    Performance 300 GB
    Blast 350 GB
    Extreme 50 450 GB
    Extreme 105 600 GB

In both approaches, we'll be increasing the initial data usage allowance for our customers from 250 GB per month to at least 300 GB per month.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

I suspect that once these test markets are proven to be satisfactory, Comcast will begin propagating these or similar brackets system-wide.