1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Comcast SportsNet New York?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by JJaret, Dec 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JJaret

JJaret Legend

Aug 25, 2004
    Any news on whether D* will carry this RSN? This is a new RSN that will carry the Mets. It is owned by the Mets, Time Warner and Comcast. My fear is that they will keep it off D* like Comcast SportsNet Philadelphia in order to lure subscribers back to cable in NY Metro area. I'm a Met fan who lives on the west coast. If D* doesn't carry the network, it will severly limit the number of Mets' games on the MLB package, as the package only carries games that air on the RSNs carried by D*.

2. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    The last I heard, D* already agreed to carry it.

3. JJaret

JJaret Legend

Aug 25, 2004
    The only thing I was able to find is that they have agreed to carry Comcast SportsNet West from northern California.

4. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    I read it in one of the local NY Papers a while back. They said that DirecTV was already on board for the launch.

5. SamC

SamC Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2003
    The loophole that permits Comcast to keeps CSN-Philly off of DBS is based on microwave distribution. Possible in the flat and small Philly region. Not possible for the Mets, who claim all of New York state.

6. JJaret

JJaret Legend

Aug 25, 2004
    Thanks for the info.

7. Guesst925XTU

Guesst925XTU Legend

Jan 28, 2004
    Ocean...
    Oh give me a break, there are way too many sports networks already and 90% of trhe time they're airing the EXACT SAME THING.

What a waste of bandwidth...

8. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    Not really as this one will be airing totally original programming as this one isn't a member of Fox Sports Net.

(BTW, you should remove Trio from that list in your sig, as they're ceasing programming at the end of the year)

9. NVBlue

NVBlue Legend

Aug 3, 2005
    No Cal Sports net has been on for many months on channel 656. They show the Sac Kings BBall games.

10. hla35

hla35 New Member

Dec 18, 2005

Are you positive that Dirctv will carry the Mets? Which paper did you see it in?

11. Ronmort

Ronmort Godfather

Apr 23, 2002
    As far as too many sports channels, the many Dish and DTV customers in the NYC region would like to see their local teams. Without the varied sports channels, they would not be able to watch their own local teams. Those who don't like sports will only see their local sports channels unless they decide to pay extra for the Multi-sports or the sports pak packages, and there are some sports fans who shell out extra for the NBA LP, MLB EI, and NHL CI provide important revenues for the cable and satellite companies to purchase programming, update equipment, etc. I think it's counter-productive for those who constantly bemoan the demand for more sports. Sports programming is expensive, but so aren't the costs of buying sports. For example, I purchase the NBA and MLB packages that is over $300 a year in addition to all the other programming I buy, but I would never want someone else's favorite programming knocked off whether I watch them or not. To each his own. There is room for all kinds of viewers on satellite.

12. DCSholtis

DCSholtis Up The Irons!

Aug 7, 2002
    If its true that D* has already signed on thats great I was hoping they would. Now if they would get the new Indians RSN I will really be a happy camper!

13. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    It was either in the NY Post or Daily News.

14. ansky

ansky Hall Of Fame

Oct 11, 2005
  15. DVDDAD

DVDDAD Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Dec 21, 2002
    Notice what wasn't said in the press release? Where you will be able see this new channel from. My calls today to Dish, Cablevision and DirecTV all had the same results. Basically they all said they expect to carry it, but do not have a deal worked out yet. I don't think that you can count on DirecTV carrying it yet. Until a press release is published, we'll have to take the previous poster who said that he read that DirecTV was on board, with a grain of salt.

16. ansky

ansky Hall Of Fame

Oct 11, 2005
    Out of the 3 companies you mentioned I would say DirecTV is most likely to carry it, while Cablevision is probably least likely based on their history.

17. pez2002

pez2002 Hall Of Fame

Dec 13, 2002
    wow

so nyc has 4 rsn"s ?

yes
    fsny
    msg
    ccsn-ny

18. ansky

ansky Hall Of Fame

Oct 11, 2005
    YES = Yankees (summer) and NJ Nets (winter)
    FSNY = Devils (winter) and Islanders (winter)
    MSG = Knicks (winter) and Rangers (winter)
    CSN NY = Mets (summer)

As you can see, all of these networks have a diluted pro schedule. With the exception of YES, each network only has professional games for either winter or summer. It will be interesting to see how long FSNY and MSG both last with their lacking summer sports schedule. Furthermore, the Devils will be moving to YES in another year or two. So that will leave FSNY with the Islanders as their only professional sports team - and you don't find many Isles fans around here.

19. DCSholtis

DCSholtis Up The Irons!

Aug 7, 2002
    I THINK....Im not sure but I THINK that the Devils re-signed with FSN for another few years. They HAD been planning a move to YES but that was when Steinbrenner still had a piece of the team. After he sold out that plan to have them on YES blew up.

20. DVDDAD

DVDDAD Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Dec 21, 2002
    This posted at the other site:

Don’t hold your breath for SportsNet NY. Here is the email I received from Ergen:

Dear Christopher,

we will negotiate with the RSN. the current pricing we have heard is almost as much as the YES network and of course the cable companies own the RSN so we dont have an answer yet.

charlie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.