1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Comcast the Flyers and DirecTV

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by Peter305, Apr 24, 2008.

1. Peter305

Peter305 Hall Of Fame

May 24, 2006
    We all know that people in the Philadelphia area who are DirecTV subscribers will miss most of the Montreal Philly series because of the weird rules that allow Comcast to play hard ball with DirecTV. In this connection there is a very interesting article here that is worth reading.

http://consumerist.com/377591/direc...stsportsnet--no-hockey-games-for-you-to-watch

2. bwaldron

bwaldron Impossible Dreamer

Oct 24, 2005
    The advice about writing to Specter is a hoot. As if he isn't well aware of the Comcast loophole ... and Comcast's lobbyists ... and their cash.

3. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    LOL. Yea, Specter is the one that got the loophole created in the first place...with Comcast's money in his back pocket of course.

4. grover517

grover517 AllStar

Sep 29, 2007
    Not a bad chunk of change either....

http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?title=Arlen_Specter#Campaign_contributions

Top Contributors to Arlen Specter (R) during the 2006 Election Cycle
    Rank Donor Amount (US Dollars)

1 Blank Rome LLP $ 164,750
    2 Comcast Corp $ 102,750
    3 UPMC Health System $ 98,200
    4 Kline & Specter $ 96,750
    5 Blank, Rome et al $ 95,050

Source: The Center for Responsive Politics' www.OpenSecrets.org site.
    Note: Contributions are not from the organizations themselves, but are rather from the organization's PAC, employees or owners. Totals include subsidiaries and affiliates.

5. Mocco71

Mocco71 Godfather

Jan 13, 2007
    It is strange because I am in the Harrisburg DMA and was also blacked out for a few of the Flyer games on NHL network. However, what is really bizarre is that when the Flyers play on VS, I get them. Additionally, I am considered in the Capitals home market, but I get both their games on VS and the RSN. Same for when the Penguins are on - I get both!

6. CJTE

CJTE Hall Of Fame

Sep 17, 2007
    Thats because VS is a public feed?
    I dont think VS blacks out, ever...

7. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    Ditto.. I am just a little closer to Phily than Mocco.

8. Mocco71

Mocco71 Godfather

Jan 13, 2007
    Sure it does. Some of my family in Pittsburgh were blacked out on VS in round 1 when the Pens were on VS and FSN Pitt.

9. jared52

jared52 AllStar

Sep 24, 2007
    VS was blacked out for me in Huntsville, AL for the Nashville Predators games during the playoffs.

10. sdk009

sdk009 Icon

Jan 19, 2007
    Kihei, Maui, HI
    The Sharks-Calgary series was blacked out on VS here in NorCal as CSNBA had the local rights. It appears that this will change in the second round, as VS will have exclusive rights to some games, including tonight's game 1 of the Dallas-SJ series.

11. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    Ditto.. Vs. will be blacked out in certain locations if the local RSN is carrying the game.

12. TANK

TANK Icon

Feb 16, 2003
    FLORIDA
    I would think the NHL with it's embarrassing poor ratings would want more people watching the NHL and not less.

But I guess Buttman knows what he is doing :hurah:

13. jared52

jared52 AllStar

Sep 24, 2007

My RSNs were blacked out too.

14. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    The only stations not subject to any blackout rules are... none... Any station can be blacked out. It all depends on the contracts and rights for each market and league...

15. NJ Scoundrel

NJ Scoundrel New Member

May 4, 2008
    Anybody know how long this nonsense is going to last? Will this continue throughout the next round vs Rangers/Pens? How about if they get to the finals?

I'm not even a Flyers fan, hell I hate 'em as a Devs fan myself but I'm getting pretty aggravated with all of these Vs. games getting blacked out. I coudn't imagine being a Flyers fan.

16. 311Man

311Man Godfather

Oct 20, 2007
    Thankfully the next round and the finals are exclusively on Versus and NBC meaning no more blackouts.

I live in the Philly market and the entire Comcast Sportsnet situation can solely be blamed on the FCC which allows this to happen. The FCC had an opportunity to correct the terrestrial loophole but they did of sorts but gave Philly Comcast an exception. Meaning don't count on Flyers games on satellite anytime soon.

17. NJ Scoundrel

NJ Scoundrel New Member

May 4, 2008
    Excellent! Thanks for the heads up.

18. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    After round 2 finishes, Versus and NBC have all of the NHL playoff games (for rounds 3 and 4). No RSN games starting with round 3, so there should be no more blackouts from now on.

19. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    Unfortunately we have to put up with the terrible Vs/NBC announcers. :nono2:

20. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Maybe its time for D* to put some money in his pocket. ;)