1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Comcast, use your own receiver?

Discussion in 'Cable TV Discussion' started by BlackDynamite, Aug 16, 2014.

1. BlackDynamite

BlackDynamite Legend

Jun 5, 2007
    So comcast is telling me I have to use their receiver that they will rent to me. The only alternative is to use a Tivo, which they will then rent me a cable card for only like $1.50 per month.

Is there some other receiver I can get that will use the cable card and work correctly?

I actually have directv and have no intention of leaving them. But I want to get the pac 12 network. Since directv doesn't offer it, I'm thinking a TV and Internet bundle from comcast is in order.

I just want the cheapest package on 1 TV. I'll use a slingbox to get it to the other TVs as needed.

I only plan on watching this one channel, and only a few times per month. I'll cancel the TV portion after football season, so no term commit. (my main TV watching will be on my existing directv service)

What's the cheapest way to do this? Oh yeah, it needs to be HD.

Surely there must be some device I can tell them is a Tivo, put a cable card in it, and use it without paying Tivo a monthly fee?

2. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    1 person likes this.
  3. coolman302003

coolman302003 2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

Jun 2, 2008
    Southeast
    This Samsung Cable Box (uses CableCARD) and Streaming Media Player is another option if you don't need a DVR. http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-GX-SM530CF-Streaming-Player-Built-In/dp/B00EYO241Q

Also a cheaper CableCARD network tuner option (with 3 tuners total) is the SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime. http://www.amazon.com/SiliconDust-HDHomeRun-Compatible-Streaming-HDHR3-CC/dp/B004HKIB6E It's highly regarded among the HTPC folks that use it.

For HD, Comcast in most markets require you have the HD Technology Fee ($9.95 mo) added to your account in addition to the price of the CableCARD. Now, I have heard some folks receive the HD channels without having that "rate code" added to the billing system with only CableCARD's (no Comcast provided set-tops) so it's one of those YMMV situations.

1 person likes this.
  4. BlackDynamite

BlackDynamite Legend

Jun 5, 2007
    Yeah they told me I'd have to pay that fee unless I had a Tivo. In that case I'd only have to pay $1.50 per month for the cable card.

5. bidger

bidger Hall Of Fame

Nov 19, 2005
    Not a receiver, but there are two- to six-tuner cable card tuners that can be installed in Win 7 or 8 PCs or connected to your Ethernet network from Hauppage, Silicon Dust, or Ceton. The thing I really like is no subscription charge as you would see with TiVo.

1 person likes this.
  6. BlackDynamite

BlackDynamite Legend

Jun 5, 2007
    Is there a device that will take a cable card and connect to my tv without connecting it to pc?

I don't want to pay for a tivo subscription either, so I like your suggestion.

7. BlackDynamite

BlackDynamite Legend

Jun 5, 2007
    That Samsung device looks to be exactly what I need. Thanks again!

1 person likes this.
  8. bidger

bidger Hall Of Fame

Nov 19, 2005
    I don't believe so. In my setup I have the Ceton device and tuning adapter in the Living Room along with my Panny 50". I have the HTPC in the bedroom connected to a 46" SONY and Logitech PC surround sound system on a wired Gigabit Ethernet network. I use an Xbox 360 as a media extender so I can watch Recorded or Live TV when I'm in the main room. It's not as daunting a setup as it may seem, but I would say since it seems from what you say in your posts there are others involved in your setup, that would be something to take into account. IOW, the TiVo(s) tends to be simpler to setup.

9. ground_pounder

ground_pounder New Member

Aug 15, 2014
    no you can't buy your own cable box with any cable co. back in the day I used to use a tv tuner in my pc's and a separate HD to store all of my DVr recordings.

10. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    You can buy a tivo or any other device that supports a cable card like the ones mentioned in post 3 of this thread instead of the box from your provider.

11. ground_pounder

ground_pounder New Member

Aug 15, 2014
    I thought they stopped making the cable cards. i'm just outdated