1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Comedian Bill Dana dead at 92

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by phrelin, Jun 19, 2017.

1. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Per The Hollywood Reporter story:

Bill Dana, who created and starred as the earnest character at the center of the "My Name … Jose Jimenez" routine that made him one of America's most beloved comic performers of the 1960s, has died. He was 92.

He became a 'mascot' for the Mercury astronauts, wrote jokes for Steve Allen and Don Adams and penned one of the funniest 'All in the Family' episodes.​

Dana was one of TV comedy's vanguard both in front of and behind the camera. In 1972 he wrote the "All in the Family" episode "in which Sammy Davis Jr. plants a kiss on Archie Bunker." And regarding his Jose Jimenez character:

Though it seems hard to believe in this age of political correctness, Dana and his character were embraced by the Latino community. He was honored by the National Hispanic Media Coalition and worked, largely behind the scenes, as an activist.​

RIP

2. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    R.I.P. Bill

3. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Godspeed, Jose. :sweat:

4. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    I liked him and he was JUST funny and no one at my home every thought he was hurt full -R.I.P.

5. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Fabulous timing and character. Afraid, though, today no one could pull off that shtick without a huge backlash from PC types, those who want to just be heard being righteous.