1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Comic-Con: "Firefly" at 10 years

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by phrelin, Jul 14, 2012.

1. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    From the LA Times article Comic-Con: Joss Whedon thanks Browncoats at tearful ‘Firefly’ reunion:
    It's been ten years since I was firmly convinced the we needed a new economic model for TV, preferably one that excluded News Corp.:sure:

2. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Man, it's been 10 years since FOX started screwing us. Seems like just yesterday.

Burn in hell FOX!

3. klang

klang Hall Of Fame

Oct 14, 2003
    Near...
    Nah, It started for me with Space: Above and Beyond back in 1996. On the other hand without Fox we wouldn't have had Fringe.

4. djlong

djlong Hall Of Fame

Jul 8, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Keep going - Their handling of Alien Nation even before then was the start of my dislike of Fox.

5. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I still think HBO should give him a chance.

6. Drew2k

Drew2k New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    I think the Science channel will be running a one-hour special on the Firefly reunion at SDCC - can't wait to see it.

In a TV Line interview with Michael Aussiello posted today, John Noble of Fringe said it was the fallout from Firefly that contributed to keeping Fringe on the air and allowing there to be a conclusion to the series. I personally don't think Fox learned any lessons, but Fringe did seem to have more lifelines than you'd have expected.

7. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Perhaps it would have been better if the broadcast nets hadn't tried science fiction leaving 10 million fans from which the old SciFi could to try to find a reliable core audience of at least 4 million for each new show. Of course, "Lost" could not have been the hit it was.

Also, I've never figured out why Sci-Friday died a slow death.

8. tsmacro

tsmacro Hall Of Fame

Apr 28, 2005
    East...
    It kills me whenever I watch an ep of this show. I just end up thinking all over again "how could've they canceled this, it's so awesome!" Great characters, great universe and the dialog was (pardon the pun) out of this world!

9. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    If you find out when that is, please let us know.

- Merg

10. Drew2k

Drew2k New Member

Aug 16, 2006
  11. Henry

Henry Retired Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Pine, CO
    With so many networks in existence, I wonder why none of them have picked up this sure winner? Is it a rights thing? Are there contractual roadblocks? What?

12. RunnerFL

Jan 4, 2006
    The cast are all busy doing something else now.

13. Drew2k

Drew2k New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    Are you asking about picking up rights to re-air the original Firefly series? The Science channel has been airing it for quite some time and will continue doing so, running a marathon on 11/11 just before the Comic Con Firefly Reunion special.

14. Henry

Henry Retired Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Pine, CO
    No, Drew ... even classics get old after the 25th viewing ... I was thinking more in terms of a continuation series or movies.

15. Henry

Henry Retired Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Pine, CO
    Not sure I buy that, Runner.

Last I checked, they were all working for money. I think a network could make them a substantial offer to resurrect a sure thing.

I was thinking more about legal barriers (Producer/Writters/Actors/Studio/Financial backers) who might legally object to the series being resumed.

16. RunnerFL

Jan 4, 2006
    May want to re-think that...

My point exactly, they are working on other shows and/or movies.

Doesn't matter what offer they get, they are under contract with other networks and/or studios. I also wouldn't call it a "sure thing" either really.

I would be willing to bet Joss Whedon would object. Last I heard he had "moved on". He wouldn't even sell the rights to Nathan when he inquired about them. Not to mention I'm sure ABC would have something to say about Nathan Fillion, USA about Gina Torres, Showtime about Morena Baccarin, CW about Jewel Staite, ABC Family about Sean Maher, etc. Not to mention the movies that the entire cast has lined up. See my point now??

The time has passed, let it go...

17. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
  18. Henry

Henry Retired Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Pine, CO
    Ask a question. Get an answer. Thanks, Runner.

19. djlong

djlong Hall Of Fame

Jul 8, 2002
    New Hampshire
    I wouldn't be too sure that Joss has the rights. When the same questions surrounded the Babylon-5 spinoff series "Crusade", JMS (J. Michael Straczynski, the creator and executive producer, writer, etc) made it clear that Warner Brothers had the rights and wouldn't sell to anyone.

I suspect the same is true in Firefly's case. Fox has the rights, since they financed it, and won't sell to anyone. And there's a reason for that.

Firefly was a failure on Fox - and we all know why - but the 'why' doesn't matter to the Fox suits. Now, if Fox sold "Firefly" to, say, HBO or someone else - consider what happens if it succeeds. The Fox has to tell their stockholders that they had a hit property and it was THEIR incompetence that caused the show to fail.

If it fails on another network, there's no gain except "I told you so".

So, Fox has no possible gain and only a downside if they sell the property.

20. RunnerFL

Jan 4, 2006
    You're absolutely right, I had my facts confused. At one time Nathan said he'd buy the rights to Firefly if he won the lottery. Based on that statement fans started a website to help him buy the rights but Joss denounced the site and put an end to what he saw as fans trying to gain control of the show's rights.

http://screenrant.com/nathan-fillion-firefly-reboot-joss-whedon-mcrid-105215/