1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming back is hard...

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Gottria, May 20, 2010.

1. Gottria

Gottria Mentor

Aug 6, 2006
    Well after canceling and switching to Uverse in January, I want to switch back to DTV. What they offered to keep me is not what they are offering now. I had a HR20-700 and an old Tivo DRV and wanted MRV and another HD receiver in the bedroom. When I called to cancel they were going to replace my Tivo DRV with HDDVR and give me a HD receiver for the bedroom. After talking with them several times best I can do for 2 HDDVR and a HD receiver is $218 out of pocket and $130 account credit. He tried to get the 2nd HDDVR for $99 and no go.

So now I'm looking at getting just one HDDVR and 2 HD receivers and then calling in latter to see if they will swap out one of the HD receivers for a HDDVR.

2. longrider

longrider Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Apr 21, 2007
    Elizabeth, CO
    I think thats actually a good deal. Considering that full price would be $497, getting everything for a final net of $88 ($218 - $130 credit) is very reasonable

3. Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2009
    I agree, this seems like a pretty good deal. 2 HDDVR's and a HD, there are a lot of folks that would jump on that.

4. Gottria

Gottria Mentor

Aug 6, 2006
    Just finding it hard to find $218 right now :)

5. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    I'd cancel Uverse and go OTA for a few months, putting the Uverse costs away until you have enough for the DirecTV deal.

6. ShapeGSX

ShapeGSX Godfather

Sep 17, 2006
    The trouble is that you gave up the HR20 that you had already paid for once, and had to send it back when you canceled DirecTV.

Now that you are coming back to DirecTV, you essentially are buying that DVR again. So it is harder for them to come up with the same deal.

7. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Left for 5 months and found the grass wasnt greener....its an expensive lesson to learn, which is why I have stayed....UVerse in my area, not available at my house yet, but friend has it and it stinks....I wouldnt think about leaving D* for UVerse, or Comcrap for that matter...you're actually getting off pretty cheap to come back

8. gregjones

gregjones Hall Of Fame

Sep 20, 2007
    Then do not turn service back on.

9. gregjones

gregjones Hall Of Fame

Sep 20, 2007
    Yes, you present risk.

They subsidize the cost of the DVR by establishing a commitment. Longstanding relationships present lower risk of cancellation. You have shown that you are willing to cancel , which drives their cost up. I'm all for you picking the best value for you, regardless of the vendor. You made the wrong choice and now dislike the consequences. I'm sorry to say I have very little empathy for you. That they offered you as good a deal as they did irritates me to some degree because other customers will end up paying for it (yes, I mean me).

10. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    U-verse is BAD! I cancelled due to poor equipment & awful service. DSL and TV do not mix.

11. Gottria

Gottria Mentor

Aug 6, 2006
    I called again today to accept the $218 and continue with my order. Told the rep I called yesterday and all the notes were on my account per Cory. Rep put me on hold while he looked it over and came back 3 minutes later and said I can offer you 2 HDDVR and a HD receiver for $99 plus tax:confused: I guess he didn't read the notes on my account. Install is this Saturday.