1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Coming Back: New Structure for Fees

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by jab5325, Jul 15, 2013.

1. jab5325

jab5325 Cool Member

Apr 14, 2010
    After a hiatus, it looks like I'll be coming back to DirecTV soon. Last time I subscribed, there was a $10 HD fee and a $7 DVR fee for an HD-DVR (had an HR-23).

But now, I see the new customer offers have an "advanced receiver fee" that seems to cover both the HD and DVR.

I live in a small apartment, so I'll only have one receiver. Will a Genie do me any good? Do the advertised new customer offers include HD service or DVR service? I'll be coming back via AAA's discount rather than refer-a-friend, as it seems like that's the better deal. Is that really the case?

2. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Well a Genie will cost the same (monthly) as an HDDVR, So I would go for it

3. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Fee's havent really changed, it's just all bundled into 1 fee now if you elect to have an HD DVR or Genie which in reality is little more than a 5-tuner HD DVR wrapped in a pretty bow.

4. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Welcome back.

Didn't I read here that new users even with only one DVR have to pay the Advance receiver fee which also includes MRV and there is no way to get out of that?

5. dishinitout

dishinitout Mentor

Jan 4, 2013
    Southern...
    Welcome back.

Didn't I read here that new users even with only one DVR have to pay the Advance receiver fee which also includes MRV and there is no way to get out of that?

That's correct, one fee all the features wether you use them or not... Also for people that use just 1 TV genie is $99 upfront not free. My suggestion order a 2nd receiver and two days later deactivate it

6. jab5325

jab5325 Cool Member

Apr 14, 2010
    Interesting. When I just tried to checkout on DirecTV's website, it did not charge $99 for a Genie with a single-TV setup.

7. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Yes, that was my thinking. It would not make sense otherwise

8. jab5325

jab5325 Cool Member

Apr 14, 2010
    I subsribed to DirecTV for 3+ years previously. What's the length of time, if any, that you would be considered a "new customer" again and get a new cusotmer offer? I still get periodic mailings for gift cards to come back, etc, but I've always just thrown them out without reading becuase I didn't think I'd come back.

9. dishinitout

dishinitout Mentor

Jan 4, 2013
    Southern...
    When you try to order online click on "Additional Offer Details" and you will see this in the middle of the fine print (notice its in bold): "Free upgrade offer requires a Genie HD DVR and at least one Genie Mini. $99 fee applies for single-room set-up."

However, yes when I went through the checkout process it didn't show a balance either for a 1 room setup. Disclaimer, I only went to the checkout not through the full process with credit check etc.

Customers with only 1 TV technically only get HR24 free. I don't see the point of this besides $