1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Coming Back to DTV

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by Jasqid, Jun 23, 2014.

1. Jasqid

Jasqid Legend

Oct 26, 2008
    Hi folks,
    Its been just over a year since I cut the cord. I just got an "Exclusive Invitation" to "Come back" to DirecTV. I'm going to take them up on that. I was hoping that someone could balance my expectations when it comes to the reinstall.

Is it reasonable to expect the Genie 44 model and not the 34? I am only looking at 1 additional room, so the genie client would do. My pervious setup was an HR22-100 and H21-100 and used my home network for MRV.

Although the boxes were returned a year ago, the dish and its last config are still mounted. From what I have read the Genie tech uses the coax for it's own communication?

2. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    75/25 chances. so it looks good

The Genie and and Genie mini uses coax to talk to each other

1 person likes this.
  3. Jasqid

Jasqid Legend

Oct 26, 2008
    Back in the game on Saturday. ;)

They even threw in a free GenieGo.

4. anex80

anex80 Legend

Jul 29, 2005
    Midwest
    Congratulations! Welcome back.

5. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Awesome. lets us your experience after you are installed

6. Jasqid

Jasqid Legend

Oct 26, 2008
    All hooked up today. Genie HR44-500 and a C41-100 mini.
    They decided not to use the old dish. Apparently in 2008 it was fine but they need higher numbers before they can leave a job. My house overhang was giving 99 some issues. So they mounted the dish on the roof with direct ladder access. (Something else they said was required). Ran a new drop (singlewire) into basement and over to service panel. Hooked up the PI, DECCA and GenieGo 2 to my router and switches in the basement. SWiM split from their runs to the Server Genie and client.

I have Ethernet in my greatroom where the Genie is and it is connected via Ethernet, but installer was insistent on also putting in the DECCA too. Said it was faster and would not congest home network. Thoughtful.

All in all, it was good. I thought it would be quicker for him since I had a lot of stuff ready but they had to remount the dish in a new location. The run was the same, actually a bit shorter... but now its mounted on my roof. Not sure if I liked that or not but he assured me it was proper so no leaks.

7. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Awesome. Thanks for the update.

Just a note. you can either connect the Genie to the Internet using Ethernet cable or use a CCK (DECA) but NEVER both and it seems you have both. not good.

8. fudpucker

fudpucker Godfather

Jul 23, 2007
    NW Iowa
    Do you need to hook the Genie up directly to your router? I'll be having a Genie and a couple of minis (or a Genie and an HDDVR and mini) installed, and the internet cable comes into the bedroom (where one of the TVs is located.) Most of our TV viewing is upstairs in the den, so I assumed we'd have the Genie there and the minis in the bedroom and sunroom but the bedroom is the only location with a hardwire internet connection. Is performance better if the Genie is hardwired to the internet?

9. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    There is no difference where the is connection made. What you would want tho is a wired connection instead of wireless, so I would make sure to talk to the tech and have him install a DECA BB

10. fudpucker

fudpucker Godfather

Jul 23, 2007
    NW Iowa
    I'm not understanding. When you say no difference where the connection is made, what do you mean? No difference if the wired connection is to the Genie or the HDDVR or the Mini?

11. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    you can only connect the Genie to the Internet directly, any other receiver can't be connected directly but will need a DECA (either wireless or wired) so if you can't connect the Genie, you will need a DECA (either wireless or wired) any where in the DirecTV coax network

12. carl6

carl6 Moderator DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    In other words, the installer can provide a wired connection to your internet in the bedroom that will serve the entire DirecTV system. That will tie in to the same coax that feeds the DVR or mini in the bedroom, you won't need any additional wiring. From there, all of your other DirecTV equipment will be connected over the coax connections, and do not need other internet connections.

The Genie itself can be connected directly to the internet (if it is available at that location) via a wired connection, or it can also be connected via wireless. So you actually have two options based on where you want to place your equipment. Connect the Genie via wireless to your LAN, or have a wired connection using a DECA module in your bedroom. Either way will work, but I personally prefer wired whenever it is possible to do so.

13. fudpucker

fudpucker Godfather

Jul 23, 2007
    NW Iowa
    OK - so to be clear (need more coffee, LOL!) - if a Mini or HDDVR is connected directly to my router via wired connection, will the Genie get its internet connection via coax from that mini? Or is it still better to have the Genie the item that is wired to the router?

14. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    You can't connect a client or DVR directly to the Internet only the Genie can be connected directly, IF the Genie can't be connected directly then you would need a DECA ( either wired or worthless)to inject the Internet to the coax network

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. fudpucker

fudpucker Godfather

Jul 23, 2007
    NW Iowa
    Perfect (and thanks for taking the time to reply via Tapatalk - that can be a struggle sometimes, LOL!) I'm using Dish now and any of the DVR can be connected via ethernet directly to the internet. I'll just put the Genie in the bedroom where the cable modem and router are located. From a usability point of view it doesn't matter, right? I.e. I can do anything from a mini I can do sitting in front of the Genie in terms of programming, etc.?

16. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    It matters!!!! First the Genie is more responsive then clients and DVRs, specially if you get the HR44. the Genie also has PIP. place the Genie where you watch more TV and let the tech know to install a DECA BB in the bedroom

17. fudpucker

fudpucker Godfather

Jul 23, 2007
    NW Iowa
    Thanks! Would have never known that. We watch TV most in the den, while the cable modem/router is in the bedroom. The 3rd TV is in the sunroom and third in terms of usage, So with that in mind, would you put the Genie in the Den, even though there is no direct wired connection to the router/cable modem on the 2nd floor in the bedroom, and then the mini or the HR24 DVR in the bedroom? and which in the sunroom? Thanks

18. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Yes