1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming soon to Dish network....

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Chipper, Aug 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chipper

Chipper New Member

Aug 21, 2004
    Fed up with Directv and getting Dish in 2 weeks (811 and 522). Have several questions before installer gets here and hope the forum can shed some light. Have HDTV on main floor, second TV in bsement, 3rd TV in upstairs BR. We watch, but don't record HD yet. We like our stand alone Tivo box, especially for looking out 2 weeks, search, season pass, etc, but mostly because wife finds it easy. Questions:
    1. Any advice for hooking up Tivo to the 811, or other comments about that mix? Will I find the 522 works just fine for recording (I know it won't rec HD)?
    2. 522 in basement: How will that send signal to upstairs BR (2 stories up from bsement)?
    3. Any other advice?
    Thanks! :eek2:

2. Jerry G

Jerry G Icon

Jul 12, 2003
    And I thought this was going to be an announcement about new HD channels coming to Dish. I'm disappointed.

3. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    I have an 80 hour TiVo series 2 connected to the S-Video output of my 811 and it works just great. As you point out, having a 2 week guide, season pass, etc. is a big plus.
    You should have gotten a set of IR emitters with your TiVo. You'll need these for controlling the 811. The instructions for installing them are in the TiVo installation guide. I find that having them extend about 1/2 inch in front of the 811's IR detector works just fine. The easiest way of locating the IR detector on the 811 is to use a flashlight to spot it.
    I'm currently using "lifeline" cable to the RF input on my TiVo and the 811's S-Video output to the S-Video input. You'll have to run guded setup all over again on the TiVo, selecting IR as the control for the 811. The appropriate device code for the 811 is 10011 medium (although I find fast works fine for me).
    Final bit of advice: Be careful about setting up favorites lists on the 811 if you're going to be using your TiVo with it. If you set the TiVo to record a program and that channel isn't in the currently active favorites list on the 811, you'll end up recording something else entirely! :eek2:

4. rocatman

rocatman Icon

Nov 27, 2003
    In repsonse to question 2, I believe at least one of the outputs of the 522 has additional power for long runs to a second television. It should not be a problem from your basement to your second floor.

5. garypen

garypen Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 1, 2004
    Chippr - Would you mind telling us what DirecTV did to get you so fed up? I have this...uh...friend who is thinking of switching to DirecTV when his...or her...commitment is up with Dish.

6. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    FROM THE FRYING PAN INTO THE FIRE!!! :nono: :nono: :nono:

7. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Hall Of Fame

Jan 15, 2004
    If the satellite feed to the basement "passes by" the upstairs bedroom, it's very easy to "tap off" a TV2 feed using diplexers. One diplexer goes outside the bedroom, and a short cable goes through the wall to that TV. The other goes down at the receiver end, and attaches to the TV2 output.

The installer SHOULD know how to do this, as it's aquite common setup.

dish ---//--->diplexer---//--->diplexer--->sat input on 522
    TV2 <__________/ ................... \______ TV2 out on 522

Note: Dots on the second line should be spaces, but it won't display right.

8. khearrean

khearrean Godfather

Mar 24, 2004
    S.E. Texas
    Oh no...don't tell me! Well, tell your friend that the grass is not always greener... :nono2:

9. larrystotler

larrystotler Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 6, 2004
    The main consideration for running the TV2 to a faraway location(like the moon :D ) it that the UHF remote may not be powerful enough. The TV2 output is a high powered one, so it can be split through a house. One thing I have done is to use a set of rabbit ears to help out the 501 remote from the upstairs bedroom. A better antenna is always a plus(although she complains about how it looks, SHE'S the one who WAS complaing that it didn't work very well.....SHEESH!) ;)

10. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Hall Of Fame

Jan 15, 2004
    Yeah - there's lots of ways to improve the range of the UHF remote - if it's needed.

To get ridiculous about it just for fun:
    He could diplex the other satellite feed from the bedroom to the UHF antenna input of the receiver. :D :lol: :rolling:

11. larrystotler

larrystotler Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 6, 2004
    I've actually done that....forgot it till you mentioned it..... :D

12. Jason Nipp

Jason Nipp Analog Geek in a Digital World Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Jun 10, 2004
    Northern...
    Gary, I have this...uh...friend who was with Primestar and then USSB. When USSB mergered with Direct and Direct changed the way they operate...mainly programming costs...um he switched to Dish...He hates E* CS support but loves the lower cost Compelling Content that isn't being added. :sure:

Jason

13. finniganps

finniganps Hall Of Fame

Jan 23, 2004
    gary - I didn't know that you and Bob H were friends.....learn something new every day.... :lol:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.