1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CommDeck- extra bracing needed?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by Scott J, Nov 4, 2008.

1. Scott J

Scott J Legend

Feb 13, 2007
    I had a CommDeck installed on the house that I am moving into (new construction) and also ordered the strut clips just in case. My install is later this week. Is extra bracing needed with a CommDeck? I would think that the CommDeck provides a very sturdy mount for the dish.

2. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    More bracing is never a bad thing.

3. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    The CommDeck has a pretty large base to distribute the leverage from the mast, plus you'll have support arms (monopoles) to help. Unless you live in a place with lots of high winds (and probably even then), you'll be fine. But, as Robert noted, a little extra never hurts.

4. mjtville

mjtville AllStar

Jul 31, 2008
    Every time I mount on the roof or use a commdeck, or a retrodeck, I use 2 monopoles. A pair of strut clips = 2 monopoles.

5. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    I see it as the less holes in a roof the better.

I did one where the roof was being reshingled as we worked. The roofer was on site and had a standard 2" roofing through-deck flange. I drilled out from the attic and pushed the 2" mast up through the hole. bolting the mast to a roof truss inside the building. Then the flange went on and then they shingled around it.

The cable went down the mast to a nearby corner, out again and down the back of the gutter drain to the ground block & cable entrance.

Looked good with no leaks. Just a thought.

Joe

6. jwd45244

jwd45244 Hall Of Fame

Aug 18, 2006
    I installed a Commdeck on my roof a few years ago in anticipation of my Slimline Install. I also purchased the strut clips. The installer used 2 monopoles and the clips. He said that it was his favorite installation to date.

The dish is rock-solid. It did not move at all during the wind storms we had (gusts to 70+ mph).

7. Meglos

Meglos Mentor

Mar 17, 2006
    Use struts. Commdeck isn't really all that heavy gauge metal and will flex a bit.

I installed a big AT9 ("sidecar") dish using Commdeck and the strut clips a couple of years ago, and it has been rock solid ever since then; signal levels haven't dropped a bit (i.e., alignment has remained true). And that's after a few pretty good Kansas storms (including a likely funnel that passed right over a few months ago that took down a big tree).

See [post=1424297]my post on this topic from earlier this year[/post] or my (somewhat entertaining?!) writeup "DirecTV Dish Installation Project" for more details.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]