1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Commercial Installation Pics

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by BattleZone, Aug 11, 2010.

1. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    I thought some folks might be interested to see some assorted pics of some commercial installations. One of these days I'm hoping to have time to post a series of pics showing the phases of completion, but on most jobs, we are in a hurry and I don't have a lot of time for pics, so I have to take them when I can. These are a few of our commercial jobs from the last month.

We did several restaurants in the new Terminal B at the San Jose International Airport. It was a pain to do with security, and the fact that we had to work when the airport was closed (11pm-5am).

[​IMG]
    Slimline-5 on the 5th-floor roof of Terminal B. Cable runs down 2 floors through a maze of conduit to the drop ceiling of the Ruby Tuesday. You can see this pic was taken in the middle of the night.

[​IMG]
    3 in-wall-mounted TVs in Ruby Tuesday, SJO, prior to activation. Their are wired IR receivers mounted on the top of the TV frames that pick up the remote signals and send them to stick-on IR blasters on the receivers.

[​IMG]
    Rack/boxes mounted high on the office wall hold the H24 receivers and other gear as floor space is at a premium. We're installing a switch in the ceiling of a bar called The Brit at SJO so that we can run lines 180' to the just-finished Pizza My Heart down the way.

[​IMG]
    The Brit has 4 H24s feeding a total of 8 TVs using HDMI spliiters.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    A couple of shots of the leasing office of an apartment complex that had just been remodeled. We were able to take advantage of the hanging hooks on the H24s to mount them behind the TV sets, giving a clean look and nearly making the receivers disappear. These shots were intentionally taken at angles where the receivers were visible, but most folks wouldn't even notice them.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And now for something completely different: we set up a 59-receiver (D12s) system in the dorms for the California Culinary Academy in San Francisco. This is the wiring closet, obviously. This job was done on spec, so we didn't get to choose the hardware, and what was provided was 10 3x8 switches. Can you say "Holy Multiswitch, Batman!"? Yes, 3 levels of cascades *does* work, though I'd have preferred to use four 2x16 powered rack-mount switches for reliability, neatness, and space savings.

We're going to be going back and diplexing in Internet service at this job.

Feel free to post your own pics...

2. TwoPhases

TwoPhases Legend

Jul 20, 2010
    You didn't use nearly enough RG-6 there ;)

3. azarby

azarby Hall Of Fame

Dec 15, 2006
    What was the source of the signals for the dorm? Does each receiver have access to the complete DTV offering?

4. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    The source is an 18" single-LNB DirecTV dish, with SD-only programming. The dorms are almost exclusively college-age students and the service is bulk-rate, free-to-guest, and the package is the commercial version of Choice w/locals. The rooms are private but very small, and many of the students don't even have a TV. The biggest one I saw was a 24" flat panel; most were 13" and 19" CRTs. The school didn't want to spring for HD, though it wouldn't be hard to upgrade. Two more lines from the dish and replacing some/all of the switches.

Honestly, a head-end system would have made more sense (easier to support/manage with students coming and going), but there was no room for one and the customer preferred individual receivers.

5. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    1600' of cable to hook up those switches and connect them to the distribution panel. :D

6. Justin23

Justin23 Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    "Free Standard Installation", right? :lol:

7. azarby

azarby Hall Of Fame

Dec 15, 2006
    Thanks, as I only saw two inputs , I was wondering what service they were getting. This explains it very nicely.:)

8. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Um... no. :lol:

9. Sim-X

Sim-X Godfather

Sep 23, 2009
    That's crazy 1 dish can feed that many tuners. So do big jobs get charged per job or by the hour? I'm just curious if jobs get bid first or charge once everything is done. I would have to think some of these setups costs thousands of dollars with boxes, switches, labor, cables by the time it's all said and done.

10. Sim-X

Sim-X Godfather

Sep 23, 2009
    Hey Battlezone, what is the maximum number of tuners you can get off of 1 DTV Dish before having to put up another one? Is it the same # for SD & HD dishes?

11. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    Given the correct setup you could almost never stop adding receivers to 1 dish regardless of tuner counts.

12. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Commercial jobs are bid out. Each one is very different, so while you will have an idea of what is needed, the specifics will vary at each location. For that reason, you really have to visit the site and walk through with someone and figure out your installation plan. Only then can you go back and write up a bid.

There are signal amplifiers available, even for wideband dishes like the Slimline, so I'm not aware of any situation where one dish *couldn't* feed enough tuners for a single location. I'm not saying it isn't possible, but it would be rare. But other considerations (cabling in most cases) often make using additional dishes more practical.

We *did* run into a situation recently where there wasn't enough signal. It was an installation for another company, where they wanted to "temporarily" use two cascaded 6x8s to create 12 ports for to feed 11 receivers, with eventual plans to have 17 receivers. It was at a commercial building, and the cable runs to the first 6x8 were 240' long. That switch worked, but the second one, running off of 4 of the 8 outputs of the first and another 90' away, didn't. There was too much voltage drop-off and switching wasn't reliable.

A SWM16, installed at the first switch location, fixed the problem, and gave them enough ports for their eventual expansion.

13. Sim-X

Sim-X Godfather

Sep 23, 2009
    So is the customers responsible for all the installation costs or does DTV help with some of that and do commercial clients have to lease receivers like residential does?

One of the local Buffalo Wild Wings near my house remodeled recently. They sent out a postcard saying they have all these new TV's. I have watched a couple of UFC's up there now and the TV's are nice and everything is indeed remodeled. However I noticed they order the fights in SD which look just awful on all these brand new TV's they have.

I looked up some of the commercial rates on DTV's site but couldn't find any for UFV ppv events. The place does have HD capable receivers because I have seen HD feeds of some of the sports channels.

What is the point of spending thousands of dollars on all these new TV's and not have one of your biggest draws for business the fight in hd. Is it really that much for them to order it in HD? I certainly wasn't expecting an SD feed when every single TV in the place has been swapped out for a new flat screen. Unacceptable in my eyes but I guess I don't have to go if I don't want.