1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Commitment nonsense.....

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by ncsercs, May 14, 2009.

1. ncsercs

ncsercs AllStar

Oct 12, 2007
    This is a serious question so please bear with me.....

Considering how DTV likes to extend these at will for whatever reason, are they really legal and enforceable? What's to stop someone from canceling service and sending the leased boxes back? When the CSR mentions the commitment, I can just tell them "Well what about it?" and hang up. What could they really do?

2. tcusta00

tcusta00 Active Member

Dec 31, 2007
    What do you mean extend at will for whatever reason? There have been instances reported of people's commitments being extended erroneously, but if you're under a legitimate commitment that you agreed to and decide to just walk away like you're suggesting then you'll be liable.

3. pfp

pfp Whatever

Apr 28, 2009
    Probably send your account to a collection agency which in the end will REALLY mess up your credit and/or be a jolly good time to fight.

4. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    (b) Your Cancellation. You may cancel Service by notifying us. You may be charged a deactivation fee as described in Section 2 and issued a credit as described below. Your notice is effective on the day we receive it. You will still be responsible for payment of all outstanding balances accrued through that effective date. In addition to any deactivation or change of service fees provided in Section 2, if you cancel Service or change your Service package, you may be subject to an early cancellation fee if you entered into a programming commitment with DIRECTV in connection with the Equipment Lease Addendum, and have failed to maintain the required programming package for the required period of time.

(e) Payment Upon Cancellation. You acknowledge that you have provided your credit or debit card account information to us. You understand that you will incur fees and charges as a result of your receipt and use of Service and/or Receiving Equipment, and may incur early cancellation fees and/or equipment non-return fees (as specified in any lease, programming or other service commitment agreement you entered into in connection with obtaining Receiving Equipment). By giving us your credit or debit card account information, you authorize us to apply this method of payment, in accordance with applicable law, to satisfy any and all amounts due upon cancellation. You further acknowledge that you are required to maintain current credit or debit card information with us and agree to notify us whenever there is a change in such information, such as a change in the card number or the expiration date.

Trust me, send the IRDs back without return kit and you will get charged for them.

5. gilviv

gilviv Godfather

Sep 18, 2007
    Miami, FL. USA
    Like tcusta00 said, your in a commitment with them(D*) that in my experience with D* they are very careful to explain and communicate. Mistakes can happen, and a CSR could enter the wrong info. into your account, but just walking away from the "contract" will probably land you in collections.:( I have to say IMO, they are pretty good about working things out.:)

6. Upstream

Upstream Hall Of Fame

Jul 4, 2006
    If DirecTV has erroneously extended your commitment (i.e., they extended your commitment in a case where their policy indicates that it should not have been extended, such as replacing a receiver under the Protection Plan), my experience is that they will eventually acknowledge their error and not charge you an ETF.

If DirecTV has legitimately extended your commitment in a case where you agreed to the commitment, then they are within their rights to collect the ETF.

The problem arises in a case where DirecTV's policy indicates that there should be a commitment, and they entered you into one, but you were never informed of the commitment and never consented to the commitment. In that case you are in for a long, drawn-out fight with DirecTV, in which you are unlikely to get DirecTV to admit that they did not inform you of the commitment.