1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Common online calender for Family use?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by dmspen, Mar 17, 2014.

1. dmspen

dmspen Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Dec 1, 2006
    Los Gatos,...
    I'm trying to work out a solution for our Family calendars. I want to be able to have a common online calendar which syncs with Outlook (home PC), Outlook (work PC) and the iPhone calendar.

I've tried a few things but keeping them in sync doesn't seem to be very good. For instance, the iPhone calendar native app doesn't seem to sync both ways all the time.

We started using Cozi a few years ago, but getting it synced with stuff is terrible, especially with the iphone calendar. We want the iPhone calendar because it shows up in the notification area when there are appts etc.

Anyone have some slick solutions? We all have current iPhone models, we use a PC (outlook) and daughter uses a MacBook.

2. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    if you have an Exchange account you might want to take a look at Fantastical is awesome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
  4. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Google calendar works with pretty much everything.

I can't imagine anything that is worth the pain and suffering of setting up and maintaining an Exchange server for (unless you can't find a job otherwise).

5. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    I am about to get a new phone - either a Samsung Galaxy S4 or an Iphone 4s. My decision hinges partly on the calendar. Can the IPhone calendar sync with Google calendar on my PC and Tablet?

6. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Google calendar supports iCal format. I use it with Lightning (Thunderbird calendar add-on) on all of my computers.

Whether you have the same problems with iCal as the TS may be an issue.

7. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    absolutely !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    You might want to check with your IT department at work. You may find that they block certain sites/applications. I can't do any streaming, log into non-company email sites (Gmail, Yahoo, etc) or automatic data-syncing (Dropbox was completely removed from my company laptop). So before you get too far along, I'd check with them.

9. klang

klang Hall Of Fame

Oct 14, 2003
    Near...
    My wife and I use a product called gsyncit to sync our Outlook (work) calendars and contacts to Google. The Google calendar is easily integrated to the calendar app on iPhone/iPad. It is also pretty easy to share Google calendars between users.

10. dmspen

dmspen Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Dec 1, 2006
    Los Gatos,...
    Indeed. Pretty much everything is blocked. I guess all I can do is invite my work self to events.

I'm seeing lots of good things about Fantastical. Maybe I'll give it a try (hmmm, $4.99 - not try...do). Everyone would need it...Hmmmm...more studying I must do