1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Common Sense Ratings

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by wilbur_the_goose, Jun 8, 2010.

1. Jun 8, 2010 #1 of 48
    wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    Hi - before the SNAFU today the HR20 "new software" page said that 3-D and "Common Sense Ratings" were enabled.

Where can we see the "Common Sense Ratings"? I can't find any anywhere.

2. Jun 8, 2010 #2 of 48
    Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon Chancellor

Jun 7, 2004
    Dawson, Georgia
    Give it a day or two for the data to populate, and it will just pop up. :)

~Alan

3. Jun 8, 2010 #3 of 48
    theedger

theedger Mentor

Mar 30, 2008
    The Common Sense Ratings are a joke. I've read the description of some of the shows and if I didn't know the name of the show it was describing I'd have no clue what the show is. It makes "The Office" and "30 Rock" sound like adult shows.

4. Jun 8, 2010 #4 of 48
    Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    You're entitled to your opinion. Personally I think they are entertaining to read. When they've populated, you can find them by selecting "More Info" on the info banner.

5. Jun 8, 2010 #5 of 48
    hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    I wasn't huge fan of the idea, but really like it now. With an 9 year old who wants to watch all kinds of stuff I've never heard of, it has been nice to have.

6. Jun 8, 2010 #6 of 48
    dirtyblueshirt

dirtyblueshirt Under Suspicion

Dec 6, 2008
    Anaheim, CA
    I think they're written by Ned Flanders... all those nights of watching taped TV shows for naughty content has paid off!

7. Jun 8, 2010 #7 of 48
    Avder

Avder Hall Of Fame

Feb 6, 2010
    Any way to turn these off? I dont care what some ultraconservatives think of the shows I watch.

8. Jun 9, 2010 #8 of 48
    Thaedron

Thaedron Hall Of Fame

Jun 29, 2007
    IMO, they don't appear to be written by either left-leaning or right-leaning groups. They appear to be fairly unbiased, objective descriptions of the content of the program.

9. Jun 9, 2010 #9 of 48
    Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
  10. jerrylove56

jerrylove56 Godfather

Jun 14, 2008
    North Alabama
    I don't like them either. Seems like something Pat Robertson and the 700 Club hashed together. Yes they do seem very right wing and churchy. And no, I don't have a problem with church, just those pushing theirs onto me.

11. DogLover

DogLover Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    I don't think they are geared toward guiding adults on what to watch for themselves, but geared toward helping adults determine what is appropriate for their children.

When I read the descriptions, they seemed to be straightforward descriptions of the content. They didn't seem judgemental or preachy. They did give what seemed to be good suggestions for starting conversations with kids about the shows.

12. paulman182

paulman182 Hall Of Fame

Aug 4, 2006
    Some of the details seem silly at times, but they are there to help people make decisions.

Likely most of the people who use these ratings lean toward being rather protective, and that's OK. Less-protective parents probably just look at the letter rating.

For instance, I don't know what the commonsense people said about Iron Man and Iron Man II, but both were rated PG-13 and were totally different as far as adult content was concerned. I would be glad to have that info when deciding whether my seven-year-old grandson could see them (I though II was fine for him, the first movie, not really.)

13. MysteryMan

MysteryMan DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    The ratings are a guide and provide info on program content so suscribers can decide if it meets their personal standards. What amazes me is that there are some who will view a program and then complain to a provider over it's content.

14. jerrylove56

jerrylove56 Godfather

Jun 14, 2008
    North Alabama
    After a little digging found out this NPO is owned by WeissComm Group a large PR firm. As I said before, groups like this spin information to fit their own or clients needs and not necessarily "honest and true" details.

So the "message" that Star-Trek Generations is racially, gender and species intergrated... of use to parents or people who don't like that kind of thing? Just pure junk!

15. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Seriously? Just don't navigate to that tab. Way to over react.

16. Xsabresx

Xsabresx Icon

Oct 8, 2007
    <scratches head> I dont even know what this is.

17. Darkscream

Darkscream Legend

Mar 8, 2008
    I think these descriptions they give - have just the opposite effect.
    Now I - er um ...kids can search the descriptions and make sure they don't waste time on movies without sex and violence.

Lets you hone right in on the "good stuff".

18. SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER Freethinker

Dec 11, 2007
    Mason, MI
    I find the ratings are often amusing and sometimes funny. Even though they were obviously written from an ultra-conservative viewpoint they don't bother me at all.

19. JeffBowser

JeffBowser blah blah blah

Dec 21, 2006
    I swear. The last two days on this board have convinced me at least 50% of the posting members up here are brain damaged.

20. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    Hard to say an organization is ultra conservative when they rate Modern Family as green (best rating) for Message.

Look at descriptions of shows before you decide if someone has an agenda. While I find some of their data outdated (in terms of them still having Pete Ross as a character on Smallville, but I guess they use the same data for reruns as well as first run) and the wording hilarious, I have found their ratings and information fair and they seem to find something good and useful in just about every show.