1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Common to receive reconditioned hrxx for a new customer?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by bpaulson, Aug 4, 2009.

1. Aug 4, 2009 #1 of 24
    bpaulson

bpaulson Legend

Jul 12, 2009
    I just noticed that the two hr22 dvrs I received from d* are reconditioned. I don't care about the free one but paying $199 for the other one pisses me off. I purchased one more from best buy and that is new. Now I'm not knocking refurbished things (I refurbish and repair iPods for a living) however directv offers a short warranty period and that makes me skeptical. Had I known they do this I would have just picked 2 up from best buy or snagged 2 hr23 models from the net.

2. Aug 4, 2009 #2 of 24
    MrAP

MrAP Mentor

Aug 4, 2009
    How does one tell it is a refurb? (I'm getting a new install tomorrow, so I'd like to check that it is a new DVR!)

Thanks.

3. Aug 4, 2009 #3 of 24
    spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone DBSTalk Club

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Yes, it's common. You didn't buy anything (including the box from Best Buy), you're just leasing it. When customers turn in their leased boxes for whatever reason, they re-use them if they're in working condition. They don't just throw boxes away when a customer cancels their account. As long as it works, there's no difference.

4. Aug 5, 2009 #4 of 24
    bpaulson

bpaulson Legend

Jul 12, 2009
    I realize they aren't mine but since I'm leasing them then does that mean any trouble I have with them DirecTV takes care of without me having to spend any of my money...?

That's my point... I couldn't figure out why the boxes had fingerprints all over them when I got them and it never dawned on me.

On the back of the unit where the "warranty void if sticker removed" on the left rear panel it says "factory reconditioned" or something like that.

As long as they stay working I'm cool with having them and don't mind it at all... I realize that companies recycle these things (charge $199 + $5 a month fee X 2 or 3 owners over the life of the box and they're easily paid for.)

Still better than dealing with Cable's horrible Moto boxes with space issues and look like they've been dragged behind a pickup.

5. Aug 5, 2009 #5 of 24
    CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    The only cost should one go belly up should be S&H on the replacement box, unless you have the PP, then the S&H is also free.

6. Aug 5, 2009 #6 of 24
    The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    DirecTV does not give out warranties on its receivers anymore. However, as CCarncross stated, there is no cost for a replacement receiver except for S&H if you do not have the Protection Plan.

- Merg

7. Aug 5, 2009 #7 of 24
    Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    You can spot a refurb pretty easily. It will come in a a non marked brown cardboard box with blue and white tape to close it.

8. Aug 5, 2009 #8 of 24
    scrybigtv

scrybigtv Godfather

Jan 25, 2008
    My first receiver – a HR21-700 – was brand spanking new, delivered and installed by a local D* installer. When it died several weeks ago, the replacement D* shipped to me was a reconditioned HR21-100.

I was a little surprised when my HR21-700 died at the ripe old age of 16 months. But the replacement is actually a little faster, so I personally have no problem with it being a reconditioned unit. I hope it will keep working until my commitment expires; otherwise, D* will likely try to extend me like they tried to do when the 700 died.

9. Aug 5, 2009 #9 of 24
    bpaulson

bpaulson Legend

Jul 12, 2009
    My dad got a new hr23-700 when upgrading to HD. Oh well I got the installer to put in a SWM setup which is awesome.

One wire beats two any day of the week.

10. RACJ2

RACJ2 Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    I feel the same way about getting new equipment with the initial install. I actually did get brand new HR 22's with my D* install. When I had cable, they installed refurbished equipment.

In the long run, with cable or satellite the cost is similar. With cable you don't pay anything upfront, but you usually pay a lot more per month. I was paying $15/mo for the Moto DVR, which is $360 over 2 years. With D*, the HRxx is $319 over the same period, $199 + ($5 x 24mo).

With both cable and D*, you don't own the equipment. And if it goes bad, you usually get a refurbished unit. With cable its a free replacement, with D* it is only the shipping and handling of about $20. So if you need to replace your HR twice within 2 years, it costs almost exactly the same amount as cable. Just be sure the CSR doesn't restart your 2 yr commitment when you order a replacement.

If you really wanted to ensure you received brand new equipment, you could have purchased the HR21 Pro for $399. You still have to pay the $5/mo mirroring fee for the second & third HR.

11. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    A swap of receivers due to a leased receiver being defective soes not extend your commitment. Only upgrading to a new receiver, adding a new receiver, or replacing a defective owned receiver without the PP extends your commitment.

- Merg

12. RACJ2

RACJ2 Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    Sorry, I corrected my post. Actually its not supposed to, but from what I read, it typically does. Then you have to fight to get it corrected.

13. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    This argument would be much easier to accept if you didn't lose all your recordings forever each time a receiver fails.

14. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    I'm not sure what your trying to interject here. Your recordings are gone when a receiver fails. It doesn't matter if it's owned or leased; or from DirecTv, Dish, Tivo, Timewarner or whoever.

15. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    DirecTV receivers will be replaced at no charge if they fail within 90 days of being activated on an account irregardless of whether they are new or reconditioned or if the customer elects to take the "protection plan". This is detailed in the rear of the user's manual for each receiver. (downloadable from the DirecTV web site DIRECTV.COM)

DirecTV access cards are replaced no charge if they fail within ONE YEAR of being activated on an account.

16. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Very often, the entire shipment of a certain type of receiver (say, HD-DVRs) to an HSP's warehouse are refurbs. That's all the techs will have, no matter what type of jobs they get. It's rare to get new basic receivers and almost never do they get new SD DVRs here. HD equipment is more likely to be new, but not always.

17. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    I'm guessing the manual hasn't been updated. Just think of all the things wrong in the R15 manual that you're always pointing out. The website and the customer agreement specifically state that receivers are provided with no warranty.

- Merg

18. cygnusloop

cygnusloop Hall Of Fame

Jan 26, 2007
    Personally, I would take a refurbished HR20-700 over any of the others, new or otherwise (although I have no direct experience with the newest of them all, the HR23-700). I never want anything -100 again. The HR20-700 has always been the best of the bunch, IMO.

19. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    You do understand that was just an up front lease fee right that you dont own that reciever right?

20. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    I think that what the OP was concerned about was that a refurbished receiver might have a shorter life expectancy than a new receiver. If you buy into that argument, DIRECTV would be setting you up for more frequent failures and less chances that prized programming will be with you for very long.

Even if you don't buy into that argument, it is obvious that the OP feels somewhat like a second class citizen and that's a shame.