1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Communication service tax?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by flaguy, Nov 12, 2009.

1. flaguy

flaguy AllStar

Apr 10, 2008
    Does anyone know what in the world the "communication service tax" is all about? It just showed up on my November bill. I've never seen it before. Any ideas? Thanks.

2. RACJ2

RACJ2 Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    Its a tax in Florida... this may explain it for you [link].

3. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    I forget for sure, but I think Maine has a similar tax. would not be surprised to see all states doing it at some time :(

4. cariera

cariera Icon

Oct 27, 2006
    Florida is exceptionally high at about 13%.

5. Guardian

Guardian AllStar

Oct 30, 2009
    Thats the satellite tax you always see on D* programming that they try to fight :box: other states from getting :kickbutt:

6. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    If the gov't can figure out how to tax you on something, they undoubtedly will.

7. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Yep;

It's a satellite tax for sure, and one that is totally wrong as states have no real legitimate basis for taxing satellite services since they require no right of way access over public terrestrial facilities to deliver service.

But cash strapped states are desperate for revenue especially in this sagging economy and politicians are grasping out at practically anything they can get their nasty little hands on for funds.

I mean please, a "communications tax?" What the #@!*&% is that supposed to mean! :mad:

8. ZBM2 ZAR3

ZBM2 ZAR3 Mentor

Apr 1, 2008
    "I mean please, a "communications tax?" What the #@!*&% is that supposed to mean!"

It means just another avenue into citizens pockets.

9. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    The cable companies wanted the tax as much as or more so than the govt. so they feel they are on a level playing field, but when it comes to offering the same channels, the cable companies are not interested in equality at all. How hypocritical and typical of them...

10. Matt9876

Matt9876 Hall Of Fame

Oct 11, 2007
    Taxing satellite service is just wrong,many have no other choice and an antenna will never work in the far rural areas especially since the digital transition.

It's come to the point you can't watch TV without being squeezed for cash.:nono2:

11. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    If Directv had not screwed every merchant they dealt with they would now have a chance of establishing some sort of resistance to this tax.

There is even a constitutional right to freedom of speech..."Congress shall make no law . . . abridging the freedom of speech or freedom of the press. . . " (from the First Amendment of the Constitution of the United States of America.)

How is taxation not an abridgment of (satellite) speech?

But since they have chosen to conduct themselves as they have...and without breaking any laws.....let them call their own cab on this one!

Joe

12. meStevo

meStevo AllStar

Jul 23, 2007
    Hmm? Taxes don't prevent freedom of speech. Sending and receiving a satellite signal is a service being provided to us by a company, hence the tax.

13. flaguy

flaguy AllStar

Apr 10, 2008
    Thanks for all of the info, folks. I still can't figure if this tax is monthly or annually. It was not on my October bill, but it is on my November bill.

As far as the cable companies, after checking it out I see that they have the communications tax in Florida as well as satellite, BUT, they have a lower rate than satellite.

14. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    All true,

But every aspect of satellite service is taxed elsewhere. It becomes a double tax. And if you tax it enough the service will cease. Is there some tangible item not taxed elsewhere that is part of satellite service?

Joe

15. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    Here in CT the tax on my DirecTV bill is 11.7%. :(

Mike

16. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    But what exactly is the basis of such a tax (assuming there actually is a genuine one)?

That a state owns the earth's atmosphere above it and may thereby charge for right of passage for the satellite radio waves passing through from space to earth?

What nonsense ... :nono2:

But then again if it made sense it wouldn't be politics I guess ... :icon_lame

17. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007

18. MattWarner

MattWarner Legend

Feb 11, 2007
    I liked this story from 2001 when California tried to tax DirecTV's satellites:

Repeat: old story, so you don't need to tell me that Hughes doesn't own DirecTV anymore. :)

19. Movieman

Movieman Hall Of Fame

May 8, 2009
    And really who is communicating. Its a one way satellite communication. Sheesh. Thanks for posting this. I dont see my bill since its on autopay so nice to know what I was missing out on. :)

20. Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook Lifetime Achiever

Apr 1, 2007
    On my bill, I have "Sales Tax" and "TN Satellite Programming Sales Tax". :(

If I'm not mistaken, it used to be called a "Satellite Luxury Tax" on my bill... or something to that effect.