1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

comp artifacs

Discussion in 'DISH™ High Definition Discussion' started by blargman, Dec 11, 2009.

1. blargman

blargman Cool Member

Dec 1, 2009
    I've watched a few different channels on my vip722k since getting it set up and the video quality to me just seems less than superb.

My biggest issue really is I can see what appear to be compression artifacts on movement. Is this a common theme? 480p hulu seems smoother :\

2. redelephants

redelephants Cool Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Whats your setup? yes I see them all the time. What channels are you seeing them on

3. blargman

blargman Cool Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Sorry ya was just coming back to post it.
    dp44 > vip722k > hdmi > mitsu dlp 65"

Watching FXHD right now, not too bad. Noticed it really bad on nfl network watching the steelers game last night. Most of what I've watched so far is primetime ABC/CBS HD.

4. redelephants

redelephants Cool Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Have a look at Fox news and see what you see.

5. blargman

blargman Cool Member

Dec 1, 2009
    is this some sort of torture? :D

on 61.5 32 transponder signal 50
    1 transponder 75

is that good?

kinda low motion so hard to tel. hannnity looks pretty smooth and clear.

6. redelephants

redelephants Cool Member

Aug 10, 2009
    funny funny, so is it during motion you are viewing the macroblocking?

7. redelephants

redelephants Cool Member

Aug 10, 2009
    yah, those are pretty good signal readings.

8. blargman

blargman Cool Member

Dec 1, 2009
    For the most part yeah, the image here isn't the clearest. Lots of weird video noise(calling it that fo rlack of a better word, shimmering movement)

9. redelephants

redelephants Cool Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Is it kinda grainy somewhat? That is exactly what I am experiencing, if you notice the PQ will vary. I get that channel via 129 sat, so we have narrowed it down thats its not 129 sat.

10. blargman

blargman Cool Member

Dec 1, 2009
    sigh, i am going to get charter HD and do some a/b comparisons, unfortunately their hD selection is slim.

and well....keep buying blurays heh.

Hrmm as for your quesiton. I didn't see much grain, just the shimmering/attentuation around certain objects like people or graphics. And blocking around moving objects/faces.

11. blargman

blargman Cool Member

Dec 1, 2009
    msnbc looks crystal. i can view the hairs coming out of rachel maddows moles.

12. redelephants

redelephants Cool Member

Aug 10, 2009
    you state that the images aren't the clearest, could you expand? I am trying to put it all together to send to dish quality.

13. blargman

blargman Cool Member

Dec 1, 2009
    large amount of macro blocking making faces that are far away barely discernable.

14. redelephants

redelephants Cool Member

Aug 10, 2009
    is there any way you could capture these problems on digital camera and post them on this forum??

15. blargman

blargman Cool Member

Dec 1, 2009
    sorry no camera.

Can anyone tell me I should be seeing, want to see for HD signal strength?

16. redelephants

redelephants Cool Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Tune to a channel you are seeing the problems in and use the remote and hit menu, 6, 1, 1. and report your signal levels. Also have you looked at the HD settings in the user menu and changed the HDMI output to 1080i?

17. redelephants

redelephants Cool Member

Aug 10, 2009
    anything over 50 and you shouldn't be experiencing any problems.

18. blargman

blargman Cool Member

Dec 1, 2009
    there were a bunch on 61.5 that were 50 , it seemed low, that's why i asked.

switched on UP bluray for my boy. I wish dish could look like this :D no artifacts, no noise. perfect.

19. redelephants

redelephants Cool Member

Aug 10, 2009
    It seems low due to the signal being modified. Thats the thing, it should be of good quality and free of extremely noticeable compression artifacts. For this reason I am trying to figure out what can be done to solve these problems as not everyone I have talked to is having these problems. I can notice the blocking when panning from dark to light scenes and sometimes on faces. I can also see the artifacts in great detail when the image has a red background.

20. fryguy503

fryguy503 Legend

Sep 3, 2009
    IMO for good PQ, i have always prefered 720P over 1080i, but thats a personal pref, the low res yet progressive display enables less ghosting and smoother picture. But again, this is my opinion.