1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Compare current setup vs. what I will need for new install

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by Southpaw, May 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Southpaw

Southpaw AllStar

May 3, 2007
    I've been a long time follower of the forum but decided to become official and pose a question...

I will list my current set up and I would like to know if I will need anything additional to have an HR20 installed. Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Current:
    3 LNB dish
    WNC 4x8 multiswitch model #SWA-48
    HR10-250 in basement
    H10 in living room
    Hughes std TIVO in bedroom
    Samsung std receiver in kids room
    OTA antenna (not sure of model)

The multiswitch currently has all 4 runs coming in being used and all 8 outgoing being used. The OTA antenna has worked great since installed 2 years ago. I did add an indoor drop amp (signal booster) when I installed the HR10 in the basement last year as the additional run degraded the signal a little too much and I was having some dropouts. After adding the amp, no issues. (I didn't need it prior because the HR10 and the H10 were going to the same TV)

Future:
    5 LNB dish
    HR20 in basement
    HR10-250 moved to living room
    H10 eventually moved to bedroom to replace std TIVO (I would need to purchase HDTV for this room first)
    Std TIVO eventually moved to kids room and get rid of Samsung

Knowing all this, is my 4x8 multiswitch still going to be enough? If not, what will I need to request from DirecTV when I call to upgrade to the HR20?
    Anything else I need to know or suggestions?

I want upgrade to the HR20 but I have concerns regarding "messing things up". I like my current set up but my area recently got HD locals and along with mpeg-4 and interactive receiver capabilities makes it very tempting to add the HR20.

If I left anything out, shout. I'll try to provide as much as I can to get accurate feedback from all you gurus.

2. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    You will need your multi-switch switched out for a Zinwell WB68. You will need that for the HR20 and it will work with your other receivers.

3. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    :welcome_s

Your before and after don't line up. Do you currently have an H10 in the living room as opposed to an HR10?

You'll need another cable coming into the living room if I've guessed correctly. You should be able to get the HR10 relocated, including the cable, as part of the deal.

4. Southpaw

Southpaw AllStar

May 3, 2007
    Sorry, that was a typo up top. It's an H10 in the living room currently, not an HR10. I only have the one HR10. The H10 would then get moved to the bedroom after upgrading.

Also, I already have two runs going to the living room as I used to have the HR10 there before our basement was finished. Then the HR10 was moved to the basement and only the H10 stayed behind.

So, the only thing I would need installed besides the 5 lnb dish and HR20 is a Zinwell 68 MS?

5. timmess

timmess New Member

May 4, 2007
    You defently need a 6 by 8 multi switch. A 6 by 8 is the ONLY switch you can use on a ka/ku dish. To keep you signal strong make sure all of your cable is rg6. Im a tech out of duluth fell free to email me if you have any more questions. Timothymess@hotmail.com

6. old7

old7 Godfather

Dec 1, 2005
    Don't forget about the Zinwell WB616 it will also work, but it would be overkill for this setup. The Zinwell WB68, that you refer to, will work just fine.

7. Southpaw

Southpaw AllStar

May 3, 2007
    Okay, I finally sent off an email to see what D will offer me to upgrade to an HR20 and H20. (See post #1 above for current equipment) Guy called me back a couple hours later with what seemed like a great deal - both receivers, new dish, new multi, installation for $99 + s/h + tax. I went ahead and took it. He also said I could relocate 2 existing receivers so I'm moving the HR10 to the master to wait on an HDTV for that room. Best part was that they had install available for tomorrow morning 8-12. I'll let you know how that goes.

8. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    Great to hear. Sounds like you got a great deal.

9. Southpaw

Southpaw AllStar

May 3, 2007
    Well the install has come and gone. It went fairly well. The only negative was that they forgot to load the H20 onto the truck but luckily they did bring the HR20.
    I could tell the installer knew what he was doing and he went right to work installing a slimline. After about 45 min, he came in and went right to taking away the 4x8 multi and putting in the Zinwell 6x8. He even organized all my cables which is something 3 prev installers neglected to do. (You have to see it to believe it but I wired every room in the house with min. 3 runs so you can imagine the loose cables just hanging down because they are not being used currently) It was a mess but he did a great job with sorting them and organizing.

Next he hooked up the HR20-100s in the basement and it took about 15 min for the software to update. We were in business after that. He relocated the HR10 to the living room and tested everything to make sure I was getting all channels. Voila.
    He apologized for forgetting the H20. He said he didn't see it on the work order. No biggie - he's going to drop by later in the week and hook it up.
    I tipped him for his professionalism and the little extra work he did in making everything nice and neat.
    I tested it out last night with a scheduled recording of Idol. No hiccup there.
    Now I have to check out those undocumented tips...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.