1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Complete Idiot needs help hooking up DVD/VCR!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by marti, Mar 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marti

marti New Member

Mar 26, 2006
    We have Direct TV and are replacing a VCR/DVD Combo with a VCR/DVD Recorder combo. I have never had trouble hooking anything else up . . .until now! I hooked the VCR/DVD Recorder up the way the instruction book showed (it was the same hookup as the old VCR/DVD Combo), hit the power button, then I was to hit "Setup" but nothing happens. It is a Lite On Recorder. The Setup menu will not come on the screen. Any advice?

2. DCSholtis

DCSholtis Up The Irons!

Aug 7, 2002
    Make sure that TV is set on the correct input setting for DVD play. Also make sure you have hooked up the audio cables. Or you wont get any sound coming through.

3. marti

marti New Member

Mar 26, 2006
    Thanks for responding. With our old VHS/DVD Combo, we did not have to switch anything when we wanted to watch a DVD. Is it correct that we need to switch something now? Yes, I am embarassed to ask these questions but I need help! Also, before we did not hook up the cables that have the white, yellow, red. Do I need to do this now?

4. sheridan1952

sheridan1952 Godfather

Mar 15, 2006
    What cable(s) do you have hooked up right now? And what is the model# of your unit?

5. marti

marti New Member

Mar 26, 2006
    Sorry it took so long for me to respond.

LiteON VCR/DVD REcorder LVC 9016G

(1) Cable coming from the satellite hooked to Satellite In on the Satellite box.

(2) 1 cable connecting "Out to TV" on Satellite box to "In from Antenna" on the DVD Box

(3) 1 Cable connecting "Out to TV" on DVD Box to back of TV.

6. Nosey

Nosey Legend

Mar 12, 2006
    I don't have a combo, but I do have a liteon burner, it has a cable for recording and passing the signal from the sat receiver to the tv, but to watch the dvd's and set it up you have to use the red/white/yellow hookups..

so I have 2 hook ups, both go through my home theat setup, one comes out from the red/white/yellow and the other through the cable, that way I don't have to leave the burner on all the time..

hope this helps

7. sheridan1952

sheridan1952 Godfather

Mar 15, 2006
    Okay, as near as I determine from the manufacturers website, you have to connect the a/v (yellow, red, white) cables. Apparently, the RF out is only a loop-thru for the RF signal.

Here is an excerpt from the faqs...

6. How come I can not see the setup screen for DVD recorder on my TV?

Answer: First, please check your connections. Lite-On recorder's playback signal output is through AV-Out (Red/White/Yellow connection terminals), S-Video-Out, or Component-Out (Green/Blue/Red connection terminals) to your TV sets. Please ensure one of these three connection is used.

(NOTE-1: S-Video and Component Video connection require separate Audio connection <Red/White connectors>)

(NOTE-2: If your TV don't have one of these connection available, you will need a separate RF modulator to make the connection)

Second, please change your TV to view proper input method. Most TV has buttons on the front panel and remote control that called "input" or "source" or "TV/AV" to switch between different sources to which your AV components are connected.

(NOTE: If your TV has AV connection but don't have an input selection button, it may be using channel up/down function to select sources. Try to press channel down from Ch-2 and see if source changes)

For more details, refer to your users' manual for connection diagrams

8. marti

marti New Member

Mar 26, 2006
    It's working! It was the input button on the television remote. With our old DVD we did not have to change the input (I even forgot where it was.) I have to put the input on "Video 2." Why is this necessary now and not before? Thanks for all your help and advise. Also, I tried to get on the Lite On website, but it said "Site unavailable." Can you tell be the address you used? THANKS AGAIN

9. sheridan1952

sheridan1952 Godfather

Mar 15, 2006
  10. narnia777

narnia777 Legend

Mar 28, 2003
    For a better picture use the svideo, I have everything in my system svideo now.

Jim

11. skcyclist

skcyclist New Member

Mar 23, 2007
    Thank to everyone in the thread above. I am also a complete idiot and couldn't get my cool Lite On recorder to display set up screen for reason above. It now works and I am happy! BTW, I don't have AV cable from Sat receiver to recorder. I can do it but it will be a hassle to move the Sat receiver cause I'll have to crawl under the house and run more cable. Is it worth it? The pic isn't bad with RF alone.

12. Drewg5

Drewg5 Icon

Dec 15, 2006
    St. Louis
    Welcome to the fourm. As for connecting A/V cables there should be no need to get under the house. There should be white/red/yellow output on the back of your TV and Sat receiver, the cables are color coded so white to white, red to red, and lastly yellow to yellow. But it won't give you much better picture than your RF.

13. Pink Fairy

Pink Fairy Hall Of Fame

Dec 27, 2006
    :welcome_s to the forums!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.