1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

COMPLETE Newbie

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by mmdkyoung123, Aug 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mmdkyoung123

mmdkyoung123 Mentor

Aug 30, 2007
    OK,
    So as I said, I am a COMPLETE newbie. I just signed up with D* at the end of this month. I also just found this forum lat night after searching on line for HOURS trying to find answers to my wuestions, many of which have already ben answered here. What I haven't found clear answeres to however, is if I SHOULD bother with trying to hook my HR20 up to the internet, and if I do, if there is a wireless solution for this as my MOdem is hooked up to a wireless router in my basemant, and I don't even want to contemplate the price for the amount of ethernet cable I would need to run it directly from my computer room to the family room (up two levels.) I have always had Comcast before this (for those of you who aren't aware, I am pretty sure they might be Satan lurking among us) but finally switched over, the straw that broke the camels back so to say, being their falure to carry the big ten network, meaning I don't get to see all of my belove Wolverines games. I am happy with D* so far other than not getting my locals in HD yet, but they applied for a waiver for me and said it would take about 40 calendar days. I am hopefull about getting the local HD's with the rollout of the new HD lineup. Overall I ma very pleased I made the switch, just trying to learn all of the new intracacies. Any advice or help would be GREATLY apreciated. I have 1 HR20, 1 R15, and 2 D11's

Thanks,
    Mike

2. mmdkyoung123

mmdkyoung123 Mentor

Aug 30, 2007
    oh yeah, one more question, what is up with being able to put music on the HR20 from my COMP????? I have read it can be done but havn'e been able to find out how. thanks again

3. xandor

xandor Legend

Nov 18, 2005
    If you want to share your music/pictures from your computer to the HR20, you need to connect it to the network, as well as for VOD (coming soon).

You can get an ethernet to wireless bridge for this. Here's one you can use
    Or, you can do ethernet over power. Here's one of those.

The HR20 information subforum has guides for music/pics on your HR20, using a Viiv-enabled pc or Windows Media player 11(along with other programs you can use).

4. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    :welcome_s to DBSTalk

Hooking your HR20 up to the internet and a network will allow you to use VOD (Video on demand) that will be getting added soon. It is in field test right now. You will be able to use the "media Share" option and that will allow you to stream music and photo's from you a PC/s. Down the road you will also be able to stream video from a PC/s. DirecTV will also be adding remote booking soon. That will allow you to login to your DirecTV account and set programs to record on your HR20 or start downloading VOD programs if your HR20 is connected to the internet.

5. mmdkyoung123

mmdkyoung123 Mentor

Aug 30, 2007
    ok, thanks for the help so far. I am goign to have to do some googling as I am not a computer idiot, but pretty far from a savant. I am just a field grunt from the military trying to make it in the civillian world now. LOL

6. Michael D'Angelo

Oct 20, 2006
    BTW you need to get a wireless adapter that has a ethernet connection and not USB. The HR20 does not support USB wireless devices.

7. mmdkyoung123

mmdkyoung123 Mentor

Aug 30, 2007
    I have a linksys wireless router in the basement with ports for up to 4 ethernet cables. Is this what you mean?? or do I need something else???

8. wismile

wismile Legend

Jul 19, 2006
    With the plans D* has for future use of the internet...hooking up is the way to go. I have the exact situation you have as far as my wireless router is in the basement at the other end of my house. I bought the ZyXEL PowerLine 85 Mbps Ethernet Adapter (PL-100) and it works GREAT. Buy.com even has FREE Shipping and a $30 Rebate going on so it's not too pricey either.

http://www.buy.com/prod/zyxel-pl-100-85mbps-powerline-ethernet-adapter-kit/q/loc/101/203122227.html

Welcome to the Forum and Good Luck!

9. Michael D'Angelo

Oct 20, 2006
    You only need the ethernet ports on the back of the router if you want to hard wire the HR20 to it.

If you want to go wireless you need to buy a wireless adapter that connects to the HR20 with a ethernet connection and not USB. The HR20 uses the ethernet port on the back of it for wireless devices. The USB port will not work with wireless devices.

10. 69hokie

69hokie Icon

Sep 23, 2006
    You will need a wireless adapter to attach to your HR20 to enable it to talk to your Linksys in your basement to access the internet. I used the Linksys Game Adapter shown in my signature. They work fine for me.

11. wismile

wismile Legend

Jul 19, 2006
    The ZyXEL unit does require a hard wire connection to your router...so one of those 4 ports needs to be available.

12. xandor

xandor Legend

Nov 18, 2005
    So do the two that I originally suggested.

13. mmdkyoung123

mmdkyoung123 Mentor

Aug 30, 2007
    thanks for all of the help guys. I really appreciate it!!!!!!

14. uscboy

uscboy Godfather

Sep 5, 2006
    You may want to mess around with hooking up an antenna for your locals in HD.
    The waiver you applied for will most likely be denied since you're probably within
    antenna range of local channels in the Flint and/or Tri City area. The waiver is
    actually from your local stations and they don't tend to approve them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.