1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Complete program info in Guide?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by NYHeel, Jan 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NYHeel

NYHeel Godfather

Aug 21, 2006
    I'm starting to get used to the HR20 and one thing has been really bugging me. Whe you scroll to a show in the guide it lists the program info on the top of the screen. This is fine however, it often doesn't fit the whole text on the page including if the show is a repeat. This is most annoying when I'm trying to check the guide to see if I'm missing any shows that should be recording. I love the fact that it shows in the guide if the show is going to record (I always wanted that feature on my Tivo) however, it's such a pain to to check if the shows that aren't recording are in fact repeats. The Hr20 should simply shrink the text size so that the entire program info fits on the screen. Or at the least, show the year and repeat status first before the synopsis.

Is this something that has been mentioned before. To me the little things like this (assuming it records reliably) set apart DVRs from another.

2. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    But how small do you make it?

On a 60" screen... you could probably make it kinda small to fit it.

But even on a 42", with someone sitting 10ft away... too small then it can't be read at all.

You can hit "INFO" on that listing to bring up the rest of the information, that the HR20 provides.

3. NYHeel

NYHeel Godfather

Aug 21, 2006
    I don't know how small but my Tivos never had this problem. I'm not trying to make this a Tivo vs. Hr20 but I'm just illustrating that it can be done. To me the repeat/new status is the most important piece of information in the program info to a DVR user. It should be available without having to press any other buttons especially since the Hr20 doesn't do well with screen changes (I mean that you can't use the right and left arrows to move screens) so it always takes longer to move around the different screens (ie scroll down to done and select it).

4. LI-SVT

LI-SVT Icon

May 18, 2006
    Screen sixe could be in the setup. This could be used to change the font size based on the TV instead of one-size-fits-all.

5. Vinny

Vinny New Member

Sep 1, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    As much as I like the HR20 (for lots of reasons that have already been discussed); I believe this "checking" is a symptom of all the RBRs that most of us have to do; so we need to check whether our series links are still there. It goes to the reliability issue of the unit which in turn is a result of instability or the many software upgrades that reset the machine, which reloads the guide, which cancels recordings then reschedules them.

Once we are all stable, I think there will be less babysitting of our scheduled recordings. My fingers are crossed for better stability if and when the next update rears itself.

6. NYHeel

NYHeel Godfather

Aug 21, 2006
    That is very true. However, I like to check for conflicts this way also. Then I reallocate my resources accordingly. For TV shows I'm usually covered on conflicts (although with all the lineup changes sometimes I miss something) but for midweek sports like college basketball I like to see when I could squeeze stuff in.

7. jediphish

jediphish Godfather

Dec 3, 2005
    On a similar note - with the HR10, when you changed to a channel, you had three options for how the channel banner would display (1. Channel info only, 2. Channel info and show name, or 3. channel info, show name, and show information). I always left it to show all three elements. Pressing the right directional key would switch the format.

With the HR20, it seems that the only option is similar to #2 above, where the channel and show name are in the banner, but you must press Info if you want more details about the episode.

Is there any way to have the show description be a part of the banner?

8. Vinny

Vinny New Member

Sep 1, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    Yes, I remember that function well. I don't think there is an optoin that will allow us to view info.

9. flipper2006

flipper2006 Godfather

Oct 2, 2006
    Let the users choose from LARGE(like it is now), Medium (3 more lines), Small (6 more lines).. let the users choose. For me, it looks like the text is huge and taking up alot of space.. my old HIRD-54 (the first hughes hdtv ird) was much smaller and therefore get more info on the screen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.