1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Completely lost signal -- any suggestions?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by LiQiCE, Jan 25, 2010.

1. LiQiCE

LiQiCE Mentor

Feb 13, 2006
    Northern...
    On 1/8/2010, I had my Directv system upgraded. I replaced my 5-LNB Dish (non-slimline), HR20, HR10, and H10 with 3 HR23s, a 3-LNB Slimline and SWM-8. Everything was professionally installed by Directv (well their contractor).

Today, I come home and find that all 3 receivers are complaining about not getting any guide data. I check and no channels work, and I have no signal at all (0 on the signal strength). The dish is still standing, it didn't fall over or anything, everything is connected and powered on including the SWM Power Inserter.

Any suggestions on what might be wrong? I called the installer who is closed right now -- and I know Directv will simply schedule another appointment for someone to come out and look at it since I have no signal they can't help me.

I've already tried:

- Resetting all 3 receivers (RBR and Soft-Reset through the Menus, and unplugging / plugging back in).
    - Unplugging the SWM Power Inserter and plugging back in.

We did get rain last night with a bit of wind, and the weather is notably warmer today than it has been lately (was in the 60's today and previously it had been in the 30-40's). It currently is raining, but it was sunny this afternoon, so I would have assumed the guide data would have been available if it had to do with weather. I also would assume that I'd get a signal strength greater than 0 even if it was raining.

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    I read that you reset, but did you:
    power everything down,
    wait a few mins,
    power up the SWiM,
    wait a few mins,
    power up each receiver one at a time, and wait for each to completely come up before powering the next one up?

3. LiQiCE

LiQiCE Mentor

Feb 13, 2006
    Northern...
    Trying that now -- everything is unplugged. Going to wait about 5 minutes before plugging back in the SWM, and then another 5 before I plug in the first receiver.

Thanks for the suggestion -- I hope this works - Going to miss a lot of recordings for Monday otherwise! :) I think Monday is my biggest day for recording, 3 channels at once haha...

4. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    "Me too".
    This has resolved some SWiM problems before.

5. LiQiCE

LiQiCE Mentor

Feb 13, 2006
    Northern...
    No luck with that, first receiver is showing no satellite signal still :(

I'm guessing the problem has something to do with the SWM-8 not being powered (bad power inserter?) or the switch being bad since I'm seeing 0 signal on every transponder. I don't think the alignment on the dish could have gotten that far off just from one rain storm -- although I guess anything is possible.

6. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Worse case, you can bypass the swm and go straight lines to each of the hr23s, that will at least get you some tv tonight. You might have to juggle some of the recordings, but you'll have tv. Thats assuming that the dish is still aimed right and the lnb is working.

But first, back to the swm.

The swm 8 is supposed to have the 29 volt PI. Should be grey. Do you have a voltmeter to check and see if it's putting out 29v and that it's making it to the swm? There may also be a little green led inside the pi as well.

Check all connections to make sure there's no stray braid contacting the center conductor. Make sure they are snugged up as well.

7. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    "Warning"
    If you lose SAT signals [like the dish moved] everything you see under the levels screens will show zero.
    Zero in = zero out, even on the SWM screen.
    Mine got knocked out and I wasted too much time with everything else thinking "it couldn't be the dish".

8. LiQiCE

LiQiCE Mentor

Feb 13, 2006
    Northern...
    Thanks, unfortunately I'm not sure where my volt meter is -- I have one buried somewhere in the closet, but no idea where :(

I do see the little green LED on the Power Inserter btw :)

To bypass the SWM-8, how would I run the lines to the HR23, I believe there's 3 or 4 different lines representing each satellite signal, would I just have to feed one receiver a particular dish and then limit myself to only recording those channels?

9. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Any one of the four, when connected to a receiver will get all the channels, since the dish has a switch. Remember to reboot the receiver so it changes from SWiM mode. You may even need to re-run the SAT setup for it to do this.

10. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Yep. To bypass the swm, you just need a barrel connector. One line from dish->barrel->line to HR. Reboot or rerun sat setup, select single tuner (assuming you only have 1 line going to it) and if the lnb is good and alignment is ok, you should be in business. If not..."Well, there's your problem" :)

11. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Which is a bit harder to narrow down when you have a SWiMLNB. ;)

12. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    That it is. While I like the single line for the LNB version, I much prefer the module. Lots more flexibility and a plan "B" if the PI goes *poof*. Of course, having a warehouse on wheels, I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. :D

13. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    While not a "warehouse", I've sandbagged a few hot spares now. ;)

14. dwrats_56

dwrats_56 Godfather

Apr 20, 2007
    Columbia, MO
    I have to ask this question.

I have a Slimline 3 dish with 4 lines to my Zinwell 6x8 multi-switch from the dish.

My neighbor just got D* installed a couple of weeks ago and he only has a single line from his Slimline 3 dish to his multi-switch. So I assumingl that he has a SWiM.

So my question is for all of those out there, with 4 lines from the dish to the switch, was the install done correctly??

15. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Without a SWiM, yes, since it needs all four lines to carry all the channels/signals to the WB68.

16. dwrats_56

dwrats_56 Godfather

Apr 20, 2007
    Columbia, MO
    The OP mentioned that he removed power from the switch, that said to me that it was a SWiM and not a WB68.

That is why I am asking about the correct installation.

17. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    He has a SWM8 with is a drop-in replacement for a WB68.
    Your neighbor had a SWiM-LNB installed.

18. dwrats_56

dwrats_56 Godfather

Apr 20, 2007
    Columbia, MO
    Thanks for the clarification.

I am trying to understand all of the different possible installations.

I am still a AMATUER though.

19. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
  20. LiQiCE

LiQiCE Mentor

Feb 13, 2006
    Northern...
    veryoldschool,

I think you may be right about the dish being out of alignment. Just took a barrel connector and connected what was the SWM Power Inserter cable into one of the lines coming out of the satellite and then plugged that line directly into the HR23 (easiest way for me to verify that the coax cables were the same on both ends).

Setup the receiver as a Slimline-3 Dish with Multiswitch as the switch and RBR'd the receiver. Unfortunately there's no satellite signal still (reading all 0's) on all of the satellites and transceivers.

The strange thing is when being connected directly instead of being connected through the SWM8 it takes a lot longer for the receiver to return the 0's for each transceiver -- not sure if that means anything or not.

Guess I'll have to wait until someone can come out to realign the dish.

Thanks all for everyone's help!