1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Component Problems with DISH HDTV- RCA D40W20?

Discussion in 'General Satellite Discussion' started by captainergonomic, Feb 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. captainergonomic

captainergonomic New Member

Feb 7, 2005
    In the last year I purchased the HDTV in a box package from DISH. I got the 921 Receiver and 48inch Rear Projection HDTV- basically the RCA D40W20- just a DISH version. Anyways, I've been experiencing a lot of problems with my component cable connection from the DVD Player to the TV. When playing most DVD's the progressive scan works wonderful- clean crisp picture. But certain DVD's will either lose picture intermittently like black flashes, or no video altogether. I have noticed that some of the DVD's are either older movies or TV shows on DVD, and the picture is of less quality that others I own.

For example, I've had the flashing problem with:

Scarface Collectors Edition
    The Basketball Diaries
    The Shield Season 1 & 2 - all 8 disc's
    Friends Seasons 1-5- all 20 disc's ( The scene selection Menu flashes, then completely blacks out.)
    and several other DVDs...

I have swapped between running my component cables into the receiver then to the TV, to directly into the TV. I have tried 3 different sets of Component Cables, and had the same problem each time. The only solution is to use the S-Video Connection or RCA, but neither of these works with Progressive Scan.

I've checked all settings in the DVD Player. Toggled the Progressive Scan with no avail. I honestly don't know what else to do?
    Is this normal for lower picture quality DVD's?
    I can't tell if its the HDTV thats being picky about the signal strength, or is the DVD player crapping out?
    Although the DVD player works great and plays almost every other DVD I own with no problems in Progressive Scan or not.
    Or do I just have to watch certain DVD's through an S-Video or RCA connection??

Can someone please help or point me in the right direction to solve the problem? Thanks Very Much.

I own the following components:
    HTP-725DV Receiver Package from Pioneer including- VSX-D811S Digital A/V Receiver & DV-656A DVD-A & Progressive Scan DVD Player
    DISH- RCA D40W20 HDTV Monitor
    DISH 921 Receiver
    XBOX with HD & Optical Connection

2. olgeezer

olgeezer Guest

Dec 5, 2003
    Do the same movies work okay thru comonent cable with the progressive scan turned off on the DVD player? Is that what you mean by 'toggling' the progressive scan? Have you tried those same movies on another persons set up going to a digital TV?

3. captainergonomic

Feb 7, 2005
    Yes, I have tried turning off the Progressive scan, and it has no affect. The Majority of the time the flashing is on menu screens- I'm guessing these are parts of a DVD that are not of the highest quality. One I had big problems with was the movie Requiem For A Dream. When the menu starts I could hear everything, but couldn't see anything. I had to blindly start the movie, by hoping it was on the PLAY selection. I have yet to try the movies on another HDTV, but will do that soon to see if I get the same effect. Actually my boss got the same HDTV in a box package, but he chose the CRT HDTV instead of the Rear Projection. So maybe I can narrow this down a bit. Thanx

4. olgeezer

olgeezer Guest

Dec 5, 2003
    Are these studio release DVDs for region 1?

5. captainergonomic

Feb 7, 2005
    Yes, studio release region 1. After 20 discs in the Friends collection, and 8 from The Shield, I'm doubting its the DVD Format. I thought maybe it was just TV shows on DVD, but several movies do the same.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.