1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

component video inputs

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by syreed, Aug 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. syreed

syreed New Member

Aug 14, 2004
    I am considering the purchase of a Directv HR10-250
    DVR.
    My tv has only component video inputs.
    The future threat of down-rezzing the signal
    once it leaves the digital domain
    would substantially de-value my investment.

Any Advice?

Thanks,

Sy H.

2. geodon005

geodon005 New Member

Mar 10, 2004
    I have a HD TiVo and use my TV's component video inputs with no downgrading of signal quality. Are you saying that your component video inputs will not handle 720p or 1080i signals?

3. jpoklop

jpoklop AllStar

Jan 20, 2004
    I think he is referring to the ability to force the component output to 480p via a broadcast flag. This is to prevent recording of hi-res data. The HDMI port supports HDCP (copy protection) which can be set to only allow the full resolution when connected to another HDCP device. When using the component output, your TV can not authenticate itself so if the broadcasters turn on the HDCP flag (for ppv for example) you will only get 480p.

Right now, the FCC has mandated that all broadcast material not have the flag turned on. Since services like HBO-HD and Showtime-HD are technically not "broadcast" the rule is a little murky. Due to the number of people with older HD sets which don't support HDCP, I doubt we will see it used very much outside PPV events. The public outcry against having spent $1000s of dollars for an EDTV set would be more than most providers want to deal with.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.